woods next to my property has downed trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask first to hunt, fish, cut firewood.

If I'm the owner I'd tell you no unless you sign a release of liability and can provide adequate proof of insurance. I don't want to be sued by you when you roll a tree on top of yourself or cut your leg halfway through.

Just found someones deer blind on my property from last season they will have a big surprise if they try it again i will be looking out for them!! Trespassing is trespassing period then take something while your there and around here and your may be picking out mortons from you A$$ for a couple days, at least thats how the old timers around here look at it , at the very least you may find out how tuff you are against a angry large german shepard that looks out for his territory. Best thing to do like most have said call, if someone took ANY wood off our property I would be fighting mad just on the principle alone they didn't ask to step foot on the property in the first place end of story!!

Points well taken.

Thanks guys, i'll get a plott map and make some phone calls.

Points well taken.

Thanks guys, i'll get a plott map and make some phone calls.

Good plan.

I know how you feel. I also hate to see good firewood just rot away. In some cases, privacy and keeping a simple (fewer involved parties) land use policy is more important to some owners. For my family, the main issue is too much liability. That's the primary reason we don't allow ATV riders on the farm anymore. Chainsaws and trees are even more dangerous, IMO.

With that being said, I wish you all the best with your neighbor. Maybe you'll come out of this with a nice arrangement and make a new friend.

Yep, town hall and the person to see is the Assessor's office. They maintain an up-to-date record of every landowner in the county so they can mail out the tax notice. That information is public information. I use him quite often. Don't bother with a plat - it is probably out of date before it was printed.

Harry K

If ther is a field is someone farming it? If so they may have contact info for you or they may be able to authorize firewood cutting. :greenchainsaw:

RELAX! people

I haven't touched any trees on that property

Can you spell "ATTITUDE" ? :chainsaw:

You asked a question that shouldn't be asked. Look at your audience: most here work the woods, harvest their heat from the woods, or have a career that depends on land owners. Let's do the indian moccasins thing: how about 'cause we see you have an unused splitter out front. Let's take it since it's just lying around. :dizzy:

"Relax" , huh ? :buttkick::buttkick::buttkick:

My relationship with the adjoing property owner has been excellent. We removed many, many good tops and other various messes from the aborted logging operation last spring, when a new bunch came in last fall to harvest pine for pulp, they drug more tops, etc. and stacked them for us. And it all started with an e-mail asking permission to clean it up....

You're better off asking. You might not get caught. But having permission removes any pall of impropriety. You can then mind the kerf and not be looking over your shoulder when cutting.

Up my way, I hate the guy who owns 60ish acres abutting my property. I would not take his downed trees if he paid me.

However, a couple miles down the road, I made a friend who owns 100 acres and who lets me harvest anything downed on his property, which has trails and roads running through.

I was out spraying crossbow for

canadian thistle along the road today.I was spraying on my aunts farm just south of me.. Driving along the road on my ztr spraying what is growing there. I noticed to late that there was some asparagus growing. I noticed too, That someone has been harvesting it. There was two plants about 30 feet apart. I saw and missed the first one but drenched the second one. I was driving up still spraying when two women on a golfcart came tooling around the corner..I found my asparagus thieves. They drove past me and turned around. I turned my rig around and advised them not to pick it as I had accidentally sprayed it.
I said I wondered who had been stealing my asparagus, Lady proudly said she has been picking it for four years.. I just shook my head.. She walked away and left her daughter (45+) sitting on the golfcart. I said she is probably the type to pick berries on someone elses property too.. Daughter said she does.
Some are going to ask why I have not picked it in the past 4 years.. Cause once you start cutting what comes up.. It is hard to find in the weeds. I have dug most of the asparagus up and transplanted it here by my house.. My Aunt told me to take all I wanted..
This ole gal just acted like we owed it to her.. By law we each own to the center of the road here.. County only owns the road material. ain't no berry picking, asparagus harvesting, apple picking easements.
That lady is a thief,don't care how you put it.

when we bought our property from my parents, the lovely neighbors had built a tree house on our piece without my folks knowledge, and when we asked them to take it down they replied "why??" we said, well, that's our property, and we have horses, so we are going to be fencing, and don't want anything that can potentially hurt the horses, so please take it down, oh and if you could also please remove the trees that you planted on our side of the property line, or else they will be bulldozed under, a year later everything was still up, and planted, so I rented a bulldozer and made a distinct effort to plow the entire property line as defined by a laser pointed at reflectors on the line markers, and corner markers, by by tree house, plants, anything of theirs that was improperly placed on our side, was GONE, but they had been warned

I have always been taught to ask before going onto anyone's property for ANY reason, so it upsets me to see people, kids, adults that just go where they want with no regard for the hard work that others have put into what they own

Its a sad thing over there you dont have what we call "everymans right" , basicly it means ANYONE can travel on foot or skis on ANYONES forest, pick berries and mushrooms, fish, or camp for short time (one day)... Ofcourse you're not allowed to cut trees or stuff like that but you can always pick up fallen branches and stuff like that to make fire (you need permit for the fire from landowner in theory, but no one minds long as you do it properly)...

:givebeer:

Its a sad thing over there you dont have what we call "everymans right" , basicly it means ANYONE can travel on foot or skis on ANYONES forest, pick berries and mushrooms, fish, or camp for short time (one day)... Ofcourse you're not allowed to cut trees or stuff like that but you can always pick up fallen branches and stuff like that to make fire (you need permit for the fire from landowner in theory, but no one minds long as you do it properly)...

:givebeer:

In the Uk that is called Ramblers rights. But not the picking stuff, but most peeps don't mind if your sympathetic to the land. Here most hedge rows etc are full of berries and most are picked by local's. The farmers don't mind as there are more than enough to go around.

Here in Michigan we own to the center of the road as well. Kicked off two mushroom pickers the other day. Nothing grates my nerves worse...does it really take that much to come up to the door, knock and ask permission?
Blis I have to disagree...I'm rather happy that we don't have "ramblers/hikers/walkers rights." I'd happily let people walk/camp etc if they wanted to help pay the taxes and not leave trash, fires etc...behind.

In the U.S. there is a group of people (called lawyers) that are VERY happy to sue a landowner if a trespasser is injured doing a "rambling". If someone drowns in a pond you own or trips over a stick and is injured while picking berry's, then the property owner is sued (with lawyer getting 40%) for having an "attractive nuisance".

Latest posts

Back