Woodshed build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frischtr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a few photos of my woodshed in progress.

11'6"x24', 6x6 posts on 8" concrete piers set 36" deep. 2x8 band boards and roof joists, 2x6 corner ties. I'll be finishing the roof joists this week, getting galvanized steel for roofing, and then working on the base.

woodshed010.jpg

woodshed011.jpg

woodshed012.jpg

woodshed015.jpg

Thanks guys, I always try to build things to last. BTW, that is my garage beside the woodshed.

Last edited:
Good use of bracing! You gonna put concrete in it?:msp_thumbup:

Thanks, I wasn't originally going to use bracing, but I decided it would look good and really stiffen things up after I got the frame assembled. Also, I had a ton of older PT 2x6 decking from a friend who replaced his whole deck last year. It's weathered, but otherwise in great condition. I've found a lot of good uses for it so far.

I'm planning on banding the bottom, vapor barrier, and gravel. But I'm not totally committed to anything yet.

attachment.php
Thanks, I wasn't originally going to use bracing, but I decided it would look good and really stiffen things up after I got the frame assembled. Also, I had a ton of older PT 2x6 decking from a friend who replaced his whole deck last year. It's weathered, but otherwise in great condition. I've found a lot of good uses for it so far.

I'm planning on banding the bottom, vapor barrier, and gravel. But I'm not totally committed to anything yet.

But cement is such a good thing...:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice sheds.

I really need to do the same. I just bought a home at the beginning of this year and will be burning wood this coming winter.

Right now my pile is stacked on 4x4's on the ground, out in the open. But I would really like to pour a foundation and build a nice shelter like you've started, OP.

Very nice. :rock:

Oh and by the way, your avatar pic is priceless!

Just curious how tall you made it?
Looks good.

Thanks. Front 6x6s are 8' tall, with notching for the top band. I chopped 9" off of the back row for 1' slope over the 11'6" depth, as the back row of piers are 3" lower than the front due to ground slope.

nice

I don't have a woodshed, just piles, with just the top covered in heavy black plastic, old broiler house walls plastic.. Some, the bulk of the real winter wood, is between two big trees, three rows deep, and some others are on either side of the well house. I want to add another pile on the back, then a little on the front as well, just leaving the door entrance. both for storing wood and to act as last ditch braces to protect the well, etc from falling trees and branches storms and whatnot. Two tornado hits in less than a year makes ya start thinking in bunker mentality.

If you do a metal roof, by all means use the metal screws with the rubber washers, not the normal roofing nails. Tell ya from experience the screws hold, the nails leave ya a yard fulla scrap metal. Plus, flying metal sheets are not very "friendly" to living things or equipment in the vicinity.

Of course a big enough tornado can suck a semi up, then the asphalt underneath, but short of that, I am also of the opinion that nothing important can be overbuilt too strong. Lots better real stout than flimsy cheap and wuss.

Very nice looking shed.
I wonder how a clear poly roof allowing sun light in would treat the wood?
A cheap floor can be gravel and wood pallets.

We have a couple of open front sheds like that. They were used for cattle when we had livestock. Concrete the floor you won't regret it. That type of shed work great for fire wood storage.

Update:

Framing and roof are finished. Got a bit delayed working some OT. All that's left is the floor...

woodshed021.jpg

woodshed023.jpg

woodshed031.jpg

woodshed028.jpg

Do you get any snow load? Not a ton of pitch to the roof and it appears you have face nailed the rafters to the band. With no ledger board, consider adding Simpson rafter buckets for support. They might cost 30 to 40 cents each at HD, and the specific nails are cheap. Purchase a Palm Nailer for about 70-80 bucks to go with it, and then anyone can help "pound" Nails with you in the future.

Looks good.

thought i would dig this up to see if its full yet? we want pics by the way...

Latest posts

Back