Woodshed design questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or steel
Be here for your grandkids kids.20140615_204406.jpg
A Rock Jack that got replaced.

You might check with your county extension agent, ought to be right up their alley.

I checked with mine in the design phase, though I haven't built yet. I am on the weakest soil on the tables, a mix of sand and glacial silt. I asked my guy how many of those 1sqft precast concrete thingos I would have to put under my shed to pile wood in it six feet tall. He said, "A lot of ready made piers. It would be cheaper to use rail road ties cut six feet long and lay them under your 6x12 shed every three feet, so one each at 0, 3, 6, 9 and 12 feet, 5 railroad ties total.

Worst case scenario you would need the same number. Stronger dirt = fewer RR tie skids under your shed.

I think I am going to pour piers with brackets. I am worried about lateral stability, but if I put in cross-braces it should be fine. The cross-braces will go on three sides which will also help stabilize the firewood stacks.

So, ho do you guys feel about the choice between 12x12 and 24x6?

You can still get good stuff...you need to make sure its for "direct burial" or "ground contact", but you will pay for it.

As far as posts rotting off in concrete because of trapped water, you're not doing it right. You need to put some rock or gravel in the bottom of the hole, put the post in the hole, then put your concrete around the post...you do not want to have the concrete under the post...the gravel allows water that gets between the post and concrete to drain out the bottom. Any wood will rot if you make a pocket for water to sit against...

Myself I would go with the 12 x 12
Between the two. If i had the 12 x 6
With a free span I'd be getting my
Iron rack out of a sea container.
Sheathing it above 82" (door height)
Would also stiffen it up more.
If the pillar columns are 3' or under
& round will work. I've used 30 lb
Roofing felt. Two to three layers, duct tape the
Inside seam then tie around in 2 to 3
Places. (Baling twine).

12x12 has more resale value and if your not worried about resale then it will be more usable for storage/garage space than the 6x24 if you ever need more than one purpose from it... (I didnt read the entire post, not sure if it is dirt floow or if you are building joist floor...)

Latest posts

Back