woodsplitter pressure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to give the splitter a good workout this weekend. I have a question about the pressure though. The splitter has a 15hp turning a haldex 16gpm two stage going into a valve that is adjustable but set at 1500psi at the factory, it is going to a 4x24 cylinder. On really hard peices I was getting up to about 1400psi on my gauge then it would get stuck. Usually on a crotch peice or one with alot of big knots. The question that i had is would it be beneficial to try to turn the valve pressure up? Or is that not worth it with a 4" cylinder? The valve can be adjusted to 2500psi. Also the hyd fluid got pretty warm after several hours of continuous splitting, I could rest an ungloved hand on all the componets including the pump. Is it normal to be warm like that? The resavour is about 10 gal. Overall I was very happy with the splitter most pieces were about 26" across and it did very well ,it was a two man operation to get the pieces on the splitter. I will see if he can post some pics thanks Chub

I finally got a chance to give the splitter a good workout this weekend. I have a question about the pressure though. The splitter has a 15hp turning a haldex 16gpm two stage going into a valve that is adjustable but set at 1500psi at the factory, it is going to a 4x24 cylinder. On really hard peices I was getting up to about 1400psi on my gauge then it would get stuck. Usually on a crotch peice or one with alot of big knots. The question that i had is would it be beneficial to try to turn the valve pressure up? Or is that not worth it with a 4" cylinder? The valve can be adjusted to 2500psi. Also the hyd fluid got pretty warm after several hours of continuous splitting, I could rest an ungloved hand on all the componets including the pump. Is it normal to be warm like that? The resavour is about 10 gal. Overall I was very happy with the splitter most pieces were about 26" across and it did very well ,it was a two man operation to get the pieces on the splitter. I will see if he can post some pics thanks Chub

1. yep...it's normal for the fluid to get warm and/or hot.

2. use the guage and you can boost the pressure up....you should be at 2500 psi anyways....just don't get carried away. stop at 2500 psi.

3. that two stage pump should be kicking in on those tuff pieces and walking right thru them. boosting the pressure should do the trick.

Last edited:
wood splitter

Just bew care how much you turn in the relief valve adjustment- remember all hydraulic pumps are tested for flow at low pressures(when designed) so you do not want to run it up very much as it will have an effect on the secondary side in relation to the volume of fluid.

If it were me I would noodle all the nasty pieces of firewood you have rather than raise the pressure on your splitter.

Also if it is new it is under warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so please take that into consideration as it maty void the warranty as well.

Leon:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn:

1. yep...it's normal for the fluid to get warm and/or hot.

2. use the guage and you can boost the pressure up....you should be at 2500 psi anyways....just don't get carried away. stop at 2500 psi.

3. that two stage pump should be kicking in on those tuff pieces and walking right thru them. boosting the pressure should do the trick.

YEP what he said!:agree2: :agree2: :givebeer: :givebeer:

wood splitter

Just be carefull how much you turn in the relief valve adjustment- remember all hydraulic pumps are tested for flow at low pressures(when designed) so you do not want to run it up very much as it will have an effect on the secondary side in relation to the volume of fluid.

If it were me I would noodle all the nasty pieces of firewood you have rather than raise the pressure on your splitter.

Also if it is new it is under warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so please take that into consideration as it may void the warranty as well.

Leon:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn::cheers:

AFTER it is out of warranty--id take the pressure to 2500 with a accurate gauge---most hyd cyl's will take 3000-----look at the rating for the cyl--my homebuilt is set for 3000-----

some times the factory sets them low intentionally to keep the splitter slow for safety reasons. i doubt it would be for possible equipment failure.

i wouldn't crank it up to 3000 psi....2500 psi should be OK. but, if warranty issues are a concern, live with it until it's past the date.

some times the factory sets them low intentionally to keep the splitter slow for safety reasons. i doubt it would be for possible equipment failure.

i wouldn't crank it up to 3000 psi....2500 psi should be OK. but, if warranty issues are a concern, live with it until it's past the date.
-------------------------------------------------------

Back