woodstove in the cellar and those really tiny ants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
well this is my first year with a woodstove in the cellar as some of you know. ive lived in this house for almost 6 years now and ive never had this problem. im getting those really tiny ants (the ones that build ant hills on the lawn) in my cellar. only thing i can think of is they like the warm. anyone else have this problem?

they dont appear to be harming anything but there sure is alot of em and its annoying. i just dont want em migrating upstairs.

well this is my first year with a woodstove in the cellar as some of you know. ive lived in this house for almost 6 years now and ive never had this problem. im getting those really tiny ants (the ones that build ant hills on the lawn) in my cellar. only thing i can think of is they like the warm. anyone else have this problem?

they dont appear to be harming anything but there sure is alot of em and its annoying. i just dont want em migrating upstairs.

I had some in the house last fall. Mix up a little sugar water and borax let it dry and leave it out for them. They'll be hungry. :cheers:

Now if you lived in Maine, those would be protein.:givebeer:
It is said that North Woods loggers would eat frozen ants like candy. Mileage may differ.

They're just pavement ants. More of a nuisance than anything else. They typically go deep underground this time of year, but with your nice warm cellar, they came up to visit. Borax and confectioner's sugar either plain or dissolved in water is a good choice. Better is a commercial bait of some kind. I like the Max Force by Bayer. Little bait stations, all enclosed. No worry for a dog/cat/kid getting into it, or knocking over the dish and spilling the stuff everywhere. My mother in law's cat got a snoot full of the borax/sugar blend once. Ended up at the vet, not a happy animal.

I buy mine at John Deere Landscapes (used to be Lesco). Home Despot may have it too, or try online.

Back