Woodstove Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sylvatica,

What kind of piping was used in your Jotul application. And what are the dimensions of the fireplace the stove was placed into. My Dad prefers the look of a stove set out a little versus the insert "look". Just looking for real world info on installation/use, before we start on his home improvement project. Thanks.

Wow, a lot of really modern woodburners in those photos. Does anybody own a Franklin woodstove? Had one in the 70's and it was a real nice solid unit. Weighed a ton too.

CharlieG,

The Castine has a Ventinox stainless RVK-6 oval rear vent kit. It goes up something like 5', into the flue tiles. That fireplace has its flue straight up and centered.

The little Nordic has a 6" round stainless elbow into 10' of heavy stainless 6" round pipe. The install was a pain. You'll notice that since the flue immediately goes off to the right, unfortunately the pipe must go up at an angle and the elbow is canted. Ugly, but it works. I had no choice but to take the sawzall and remove the mount for the rachet of the damper plate

Fireplace firebox dimensions: 30" h. 35" w. 19" deep. 18" stone hearth forward of firebox. Castine fit partially inside box, but only w/ short leg kit installed.

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

Another shot of my Castine, as it relates to the fireplace. Just enough protrusion forward to throw heat, show off its casting work, but not get in the way.

SylvaticasJTULCastine.jpg

This is an Olix air-flo that burns wood or coal. They are/were produced in Bath, N.Y. in the lower Fingerlakes region. Does anybody know if they are still in business. We bought this around the mid 1980's. Only thing I need is a new blower.

Thanks, Kevin

frontview.jpg

dooropen.jpg

sideview.jpg

Update on cleaning solution

A very strong solution of Ammonia and water (about 50/50). Spray it on and wipe it off like you normally would cleaning any glass. You may want to be sure that the glass is not so hot so you don't crack it.

I found the secret formula.

1/2 cup ammonia
1/4 cup Vinegar
1 Quart Water

:)

Out with the old...... in with the new !

Coincidentally, i just purchased a new Vermont Casting Defiant. For several years we have used a Vermont Castings Resolute and it was worked very well. In the past two winters, we have only burned about a hundred gallons of oil per winter..... the furnace generally kicks on in the middle of the night, or mid-day when we are at work. However, with a hundred and thirty++ year old house with original windows..... i figured bigger would be better. I have read recently of people complaining about VC stoves.... though i'm not exactly sure what the complaints are. I figured since we liked the old one so well, might as well stick with them. I looked at the Jotuls, and they have a great reputation...... but how the heck do you guys live without a top loading door???? I can pack it full before bed, and not worry about using kindling in the morning. I figure i'll put the red resolute on craigslist or ebay this week.

Woodstock Fireview. Best stove I ever had. Heats my 1800 sq ft and gives me 10-12 hr burns easily. Cut my firewood consumption down 1/4 from my previous Hearthstone Homestead. Love the soapstone warmth.

This a the photo of my Woodstock Soapstone Palladian wood stove. It was taken before it was fired up for the first time in our house (photo for insurance company). The stove was manufactured in 1994 and I purchased it used in 2003.

The stove is in our basement family room and it heats our 2600 SF (basement & main level combined) 3 bedroom ranch home approx 95% of the time. In the extreme cold, the NG furnace has to kick on to assist. We had a cold air return (white vent near the ceiling behind to stove) piped into our NG furnace. Turn on the blower for the NG furnace and it distributes the heat from the basement throughout the house. If we didn't have that, we would roast in our family room.

Gary

Nice stove, but I believe it is a Woodstock Keystone not the Palladian. Have you had to replace the catalyst yet?

Hearthstone Heritage

Our Hearthstone Heritage, vented out back into an old fireplace location. We relined the chimney with stainless flex and poured Thermix (insulation/concrete) around it. I closed off the fire place with rock and filled that in with Thermix. Also added a fresh air inlet from outside to the woodstove. The insulated liner and fresh air setup helped a ton compared to just venting it up into the old fireplace chimney opening.

Wobee,got the same stove,even the same color 2 years ago.Drove to New Hampshire to get it.Love the stove.My only complaint is I wish it had a better handle on the fire door,so you didn't have to use that little forked tool.Definately burns less wood.

I'm not a big fan of the door either, i wish it was a little bigger and had some kind of spring loaded lever. I don't use the tool, I just got use to using welders gloves. Guess it's kind of a good thing safety wise.

a>
here is a pic of the stove i built for the shop still needs some finishing touches. nothing fancy but it gets the job done

Nice stove, but I believe it is a Woodstock Keystone not the Palladian. Have you had to replace the catalyst yet?

Actually you are correct on the newer stoves are a keystone. My stove was manufactured in 1994 and the serial number plate on the stove states palladian as the model. Woodstock told me that after my woodstove was manufactured, they changed model names.

I had to replace the catalyst before I fired it up. The person that I bought the stove from, stated the catalyst was about 4 years old and needed to be replaced. Then I replaced it again this year. My wife got a little carried away with some super dry wood last season. She had the top of of the stove at 450 degrees which was extremely hard on the catalyst causing it to become very brittle and start falling apart. Hopefully we won't have that happen again.

Gary

This is a glass doored Lopi that evidently has been adapted for an insert with the addition of a forced air jacket around the rear and partial sides.It will flat run you out of the room if you fire it hard,lots of heat in this one.

The two chrome lamps are original Coleman table lamps,circa pre 1925.

fireplace xtordinair

this is our fireplace xtrordinair 36 elite. have had it for a year and a half. it heats the house very well. 2200sf

Back