Woodstove scare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I fired up my woodstove last night for the first time this year. I just had it cleaned about a month back and the fella said nothing to be worried about. So after it burned for about 2 hours, as I'm watching the MNF game, I noticed a huge puff of smoke come out of the thing and noticed the flame transfered from the log that was in the stove to the top of the inside of the stove???? I was a little concerned, but didn't think much of it and kept my eye on it. A few minutes later it happened again, so I got up and opened the door and the log then began to burn normally? What in the world does this mean and should I be concerned?

I've heard people refer to that as a stove fart. Combustion air disturbance somewhere causes it.

Door gasket

Check your door gasket to be sure you are getting a good seal. My stove did the exact same thing, turns out the gasket wasn't making contact all the way around. I had just replaced the gasket in mine but new doesn't always mean better. Since my stove has glass in the door, I decided to pull it out and look inside to visually inspect the gasket while the door was latched and that was when I found the problem. There were a couple of places where the gasket wasn't quite making contact. I replaced the glass gasket, installed extra door gasket cement in the places where it wouldn't seal, and reassembled following instructions for the cement. I haven't had any more problems for over a month now.

To check your door gasket another way, use a piece of paper (similar to a dollar bill) and check how much "drag" is put on it when it is pulled through the sealing area. Be sure to check all the way around the door since it could just be 1 small area not sealing.

I still do not know why mine didn't seal completely all the way around with the first new gasket. Maybe the door is a litte warped. Lesson learned, always check your work after you have finished. BTW, that door gasket cement is not fun to remove after it dries, I did most of it with a hand held grinder and wire wheel. Make sure you have proper PPE on since those wires fly in all directions. :cheers:

Was the stove banked down? That sounds like what happens with a good certified stove. It is simply the gases reburning as they are ignited by the tubes in the top of the stove.

My Lopi will do that repeatedly when properly banked down. It's way cool to watch.

Was the stove banked down? That sounds like what happens with a good certified stove. It is simply the gases reburning as they are ignited by the tubes in the top of the stove.

My Lopi will do that repeatedly when properly banked down. It's way cool to watch.

:agree2:

Unless smoke actually came out of the stove (in which case, I switch my vote to bad door or glass gasket), this is normal operation of a stove/insert designed for secondary burning.

When my stove is good and hot and I close the draft damper down, the wood and coals will smoke, but the secondary air supply will cause the smoke to ignite. It makes really cool looking flames roll across the inside top of the insert.

If this is what you are seeing, it is exactly what it is designed to do. That secondary burn is what makes them burn so clean. When the draft damper is wide open, you get a more "normal" looking fire since there is plenty of oxygen to combust the smoke as it leaves the wood.

Adam

yes and yes

This is exactly what was happening, but there was also a puff of smoke that came from the stove. I did have the damper nearly closed, so there was very little air supply (I'm assuming that's where the smoke exited) and like I said once I cracked the door it subsided....so my guess is it was starved for air like you guys mentioned. The rolling flames were very cool to watch at least I thought so. My wife didn't think so, but she often over reacts. I told her I knew just the place to ask the question!! So..after years of burning this stove this is the first time I've witnessed it. Although, I normally don't back the air down until right before bed anyhow, so that's not to say it hasn't happened before. You guys think everything is cool then?? Thanks again for the help.

Yeah that sounds like it was air starved, but.... even after you "bank" it prior to bedtime, leave a little hint of air to it. Don't close the damper all the way.

Latest posts

Back