Woodstove Shut Down Early This Year...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valekbrothers

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
AAARGHHH............ Had to shut the wood stove off last Sunday. I have a brick chimney that runs up the center of the house. After being 43° on Saturday I let the stove burn out to give it a good cleaning. Sunday morning lighting it back up again, I notice smoke rolling out of the chimney in the basement. :angry2: Now I am frantically trying to find a ss liner for it. Until then, I cringe every time I hear the LP furnace kick in...........

Anyone know of any brands that are better, or worse than others.... I see they have some on E-bay for around $400 for a 6" x 35' kit..One local shop can get me one, but it is $650 through them.

AAARGHHH............ Had to shut the wood stove off last Sunday. I have a brick chimney that runs up the center of the house. After being 43° on Saturday I let the stove burn out to give it a good cleaning. Sunday morning lighting it back up again, I notice smoke rolling out of the chimney in the basement. :angry2: Now I am frantically trying to find a ss liner for it. Until then, I cringe every time I hear the LP furnace kick in...........

Anyone know of any brands that are better, or worse than others.... I see they have some on E-bay for around $400 for a 6" x 35' kit..One local shop can get me one, but it is $650 through them.

just a thought:
talk to your local sheet metal fabricator.
my local guys were able to come up with/make 8' lengths of SS pipe at a fraction of what the rigid liners went for online.

Hold on here. What did you do to clean it? What do you think got wrecked? Temps like we had here can screw with your draft and give you a downdraft when you have a cold stove.

Hold on here. What did you do to clean it? What do you think got wrecked? Temps like we had here can screw with your draft and give you a downdraft when you have a cold stove.

From what I understand there is no reason to talk someone out of lining a chimney.:cheers:

you have to warm up the stack to create a draft first. we ised news paper rolled up lose you will be able to watch the smoke rise once the draft starts

same here--believe your chimney is fine--just cold--you need heat in the stack to keep it drafting--like said--rolled up newspaper till it drafts---then light the wood--mine creates a awful backdraft when its cold--

I don't think it was a draft problem. Smoke was coming from between the bricks in the chimney. I had the stove door open, and there wasn't any smoke coming out of the door.

I will check with local sheet metal guys to see what they have. Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy burnin everyone.. And remember stay safe.

flue liner

If the old chimney is straight just drop a 6-8 inch schedule 40 iron pipe in it. You can usually buy used pipe reasonable and only real expense is hiring a cherry picker to drop it in. Makes an absolute bullet proof chimney. If you have room wrap the pipe with unbacked fiberglass insulation and it stays warm and clean for the whole season. Mine hasn't seen a brush in 15 or more years, I clean the bottom out in the fall and look up the flue with a mirror, always like a rifle barrel. Plus it'll suck the door shut on the stove. Mine is 7 inch same as the flue collar on my Riteway 37. Lloyd H

If the old chimney is straight just drop a 6-8 inch schedule 40 iron pipe in it. ...
Mine is 7 inch same as the flue collar on my Riteway 37. Lloyd H

How tall is your 7" stack? It sounds like a great idea but if you are talking about a 40' stack, that's a LOT of weight to muscle around...

ANSI schedule 40 steel pipe weighs 18.97 lbs/foot. Thats around 570 lbs of flue pipe for a 30 foot stack. Supporting that weight so it doesn't fall too far down could be problematic.

:givebeer:

7 inch flue

Mine is 29 foot from top to bottom. I had a chimney fire that damaged original 9x9 clay liner. The second floor of my house was unfinished so I cut one side out of the chimney and knocked all the clay liner out. Then bought three 9 foot lengths of 7 inch and a 3 foot piece to make a T with. I cut the chimney open in the basement and built up a support out of masonary about 4 foot above the floor inside the chimney. Made a jig to set on top of the chimney with a come-a-long hanging on it, brought the 9 foot pieces one at a time and welded them together hanging inside the cut open second floor area of chimney. Then I lowered the 27 foot piece onto the T setting on the built up support and joined them with a draw band made from 8 inch pipe about 8-10 inches long. If I ever do it again I'd hire a crane and do one piece. Was quite a strain on marriage with all the dirt and dust from demo work. With 29 feet I think 6 inch would be plenty for almost any wood stove. A lot would depend on access for crane or cherry picker, height required etc. but iron pipe can be had used and when your done you have a lifetime bullet proof liner. If you do have creosote build up just wait for a rainey day to protect the roof and set fire to the flue. Another thing a junky stove on a good chimney is better than a gold plated stove on a poor chimney.

Last edited:
iron pipe liner

You can do a iron pipe liner in 4 or 5 foot sections from a basement if you cut one side of chimney open. I bought new pipe because I couldn't find used 7 inch. The supplier cut and beveled the ends for welding no charge. Just raise the first section up and weld another under it, keep going till you have the height you need. Try to insulate it as you go, or if space is limited you can pour vermiculite around it when its done. The real secret to clean flues is keeping them hot so creosote doesn't condense on them

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I have been pricing ss liner kits and the best price I have found is at Menards so far. A 6" x 35' flex kit is $415. I have an old two story farm house with about 4' of chimney sticking out of the roof.

I picked up some chains I had sharpened and the guy told me to look at an old 6" grain auger to drop down inside for a liner. A guy could probably pick a used one up pretty cheap, but I wonder what a crane would cost to slip it into the top of the chimney? Maybe I could hire a helicopter to lift it into place???????

Anyway, I think this project is going to have to wait for a while.

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/index.asp

i bought mine from here, good quality, easy to install, me and the wife did it. I plan to make some changes with the stove connections for next year, but it has been great.

I actually did not need to use one, but I have a much older house, and feel more secure using it.

not my video, but i did this to install it, mad eit a breeze to do, and cheap, actually free, the wire was scrap i had on my bench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eufa_-YdnD4

Back