work along highways....anyone like it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't seem to matter how big or how small the road/highway is, how isolated, how visible, how many cones, signs you put out or how much high viz clothing you wear...some idiot WILL drive through your work zone!

But when said idiot shows up and either hurts themselves, damages their vehicles or yours or God forbid hurts your crew member, if you have carried out your on-site risk assessment and taken all reasonable/legal actions to reduce risk then YOUR :censored: is covered and they don't have a leg to stand on!

For roadside work, more is better cones, signs, high viz!!!

It turns out no one requires anything for this location. I got the email from the DOT this morning:

"Mine Road is a town/city road and as such DOT regulations do not apply to a town/city roads, only State Routes/Roads. Therefore you should contact the City of Bristol's traffic authority with your concerns, thanks, Vince Micali, ConnDOT."

I guess it's up to us to provide our own safety. I asked Public Works of Bristol if they could supply us with some extra, huge signs, but they are getting back to me. If not, I guess it will be lots of cones and our trucks and trailers parked on the street where we are working. I am still worried though - what if someone hits a truck or trailer and it gets pushed into someone working? Or worse, sandwiches someone between two vehicles? Ah!

F'n Flagger Force how hilarious, I never would have guessed... They watched a video, a powerpoint presentation, a lecture, and a demonstration. All in four hours.

"About Flagger Force

When you call Flagger Force, you always work with a team of true professionals. We never bring in temps – every flagger has been through our extensive training program."

They don't service CT though. I guess I'll grab a couple kiddies off the street and hand them some flags. Maybe an Iraq and a North Korea flag.

well there is not really a whole lot to flagging that you can't learn in 4 hours... to a least be able to start. I think the job pays 10 bucks a hour so what can you say?
Do the job Sunday morning. don't forget to put hunks of tree under you cones.

It turns out no one requires anything for this location. I got the email from the DOT this morning:

"Mine Road is a town/city road and as such DOT regulations do not apply to a town/city roads, only State Routes/Roads. Therefore you should contact the City of Bristol's traffic authority with your concerns, thanks, Vince Micali, ConnDOT."

I guess it's up to us to provide our own safety. I asked Public Works of Bristol if they could supply us with some extra, huge signs, but they are getting back to me. If not, I guess it will be lots of cones and our trucks and trailers parked on the street where we are working. I am still worried though - what if someone hits a truck or trailer and it gets pushed into someone working? Or worse, sandwiches someone between two vehicles? Ah!

Bureaucratic mumbo jumbo, how typical, not my road until you do something wrong then they come in like vultures. Try and put out as much warning/cones as you can and keep as much metal between your workers and the traffic as possible. Be careful.

don't forget to put hunks of tree under you cones.
So if/when the cars hit them, the rubber cone flies one way and the log flies into the work zone or at another car:confused: Not a well thought out plan, but probably looks good on paper. :jawdrop:

So if/when the cars hit them, the rubber cone flies one way and the log flies into the work zone or at another car:confused: Not a well thought out plan, but probably looks good on paper. :jawdrop:

I don't want to start a debate on this, but I think it is more likely that the wood will go under the car and f^&% up the undercarriage. That is as long as the wood is below the bumper, which is exactly what I would do.

Yeah, that was one of those jokes The Dan is always tossing in along with some 1/2 decent advice.
Actually, it was Mr. Ashworth's mode of operation. We were out on Lincoln
Drive doing a Scott Hornbaker job, who just left us on the side of the road during rush hour with no flaggers. We were getting hammered by the traffic so Ashworth stuffs a log under a cone and the very next second it ends up jammed up under some woman's car. Well, that's life in the big city.
Hey Dada, wanna smoke a J?

There's always risk, and you can always get sued for anything.

But you can do your best.

For far more information on how signs/cones/flaggers/etc should be setup in a work zone, see: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/HTM/2003/part6/part6-toc.htm

Yes, there is a whole federal regulation about it.

Even if you're not on a road covered directly by the FHWA regulations, if you can show you at least setup the signs and such by that standard you've done a lot to limit your legal liability since you weren't being reckless or grossly negligent. One simple way to figure out if you're doing ok -- look at what CL&P or SNET setup since they know Part 6 and follow it.

(Great site btw guys...stumbled across the site and been enjoying reading it and looking at the pictures).

TL19 .yield to oncoming and a few cones will save the knees of the groundman from getting smashed into the chipper feed table. i know people couldnt care less about us working on the street, but make sure your traffic setup allows ample room for the groundman. that seems to put me at ease somewhat while trimming roadside lines.

Yup people just dont care enough or at all. I work in a shop(auto mechanic) we are on a street corner, and the road one day was blocked off for construction, it would be literally maybe 30s-1minute to go the other way around the block, but too long for some people, so we had people constantly cutting through our lot, and not going slow either, their pissed that the road is blocked, so they RAGE through our lot. So we called the police, they did nothing cause it was private property, so we said ok guess we will see ya soon when someone get's hit by a car, about a hour later a pedestrian was hit by a car, and the police were there taking reports from everybody. Go figure eh??? WTF!!!

TL19 .yield to oncoming and a few cones will save the knees of the groundman from getting smashed into the chipper feed table. i know people couldnt care less about us working on the street, but make sure your traffic setup allows ample room for the groundman. that seems to put me at ease somewhat while trimming roadside lines.

I will be one of the groundmen on this job and I will be sure there is a few tons of steel and a pile of cones between me and any motorist. The chipper and other groundman will be off the road. I hope I don't have to dismember any motorists this week.

I will be one of the groundmen on this job and I will be sure there is a few tons of steel and a pile of cones between me and any motorist. The chipper and other groundman will be off the road. I hope I don't have to dismember any motorists this week.

Would you like to borrow my flag?

Yup people just dont care enough or at all. I work in a shop(auto mechanic) we are on a street corner, and the road one day was blocked off for construction, it would be literally maybe 30s-1minute to go the other way around the block, but too long for some people, so we had people constantly cutting through our lot, and not going slow either, their pissed that the road is blocked, so they RAGE through our lot. So we called the police, they did nothing cause it was private property, so we said ok guess we will see ya soon when someone get's hit by a car, about a hour later a pedestrian was hit by a car, and the police were there taking reports from everybody. Go figure eh??? WTF!!!

That's real funny cause if it was you or me cutting through like that and a cop saw it... and thet don't understand why people are always shooting at them.

along highway

Did 2 trees along a highway today...I hate these jobs....people could care less about the 6 signs you put up telling them you are working along the road and there are flaggers ahead. Thank god for brakes!!!

I worked for a company to help them out and could not believe they were dropping tree next to the highway on down slope towards the highway.If that cut did not hold tree would have gone on the highway.I said some thing to the owner his response is we have insurance what an a##.One tree dropped and a branch the size of 2 inch diameter about 3 feet long went into the highway thank god no one got hurt.

Back