Working in New England today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had 2 heat strokes, and yes I missed all the warning signs( cramps, Lightheaded, the shakes, nausea) You would think as a FF/Medic I would notice those things. The last time I had to get 4000 cc of fluid and it still took 2 hrs to pee. My core temp was 104 for over 8hrs in the ER. It sucks! QUOTE]

Most people do miss the warning signs-look after your buddies and coworkers! Especially given some may resist stopping/resting because of the macho element prevalent in some in this occupation!

There was a very tragic case of a young Army trainee dieing from multiple organ failure after becoming severely overheated and dehydrated during a route march in temps where the humidex was well into the low 100s at Farnham, QC about 13 years ago. Not wanting to appear wimpy in front of his peers and superiors, he kept at it until he dropped, sadly too late for medical help to be of any use. All his Platoon mates missed the warning signs as did the officer and NCO's on the March. Perhaps he was already ill that day and/or dehydrated before they started, but the death was totally needless and lead to a re examination of SOPs in high temps, no doubt VERY useful today in Afghanistan!

I do know that last year working in a tented warehouse where the temps were pushing 150F, I worked about twenty minutes then had to cool off in an ac'd office for at least ten. Dolt I was working for could not figure that one out, but he spent all day pushing paper, not climbing sheves. And I was drinking about five litres of fluid a day and pissing very little of that out. What a hell hole - think a thought for our troops over there humping it this summer.

Last edited:
My truck runs like #### in heat like this. The clutch hardly works all kinds of weird noises and smells. You guys get this?

And just want to add to that guy back there playing golf, thanks you're a big help. :greenchainsaw:

Soccer, what's soccer...oohh, you mean FOOTBALL!!:)

Thank goodness for 600miles of ocean, we have mid 80's, and a nice breeze, and for a change the humidity is only 70% today, positively lovely...:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back