Workmans Comp Insurance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This year our workmans comp won't recover us. Because we're a tree service of only three employies. They said they'd cover us in the high risk catigory. Which basicly means we wouldn't be able to get jobs from the state or contractors. Most insurance companies will cover you if you have one hundred employies or more. We really need to be covered. We have a great track record as fart as accidents go. If anyone can help us please let me know.

Thanks,BB :eek:

Does "workman's" comp cover "workwomen"?

I've always bought "worker's" comp to cover
injuries.

You should look in TCI or AN to see if there are any companies advertising. Also, look for an independent agent for coverage.

The whole insurance industry is rippling because of the co-insurance after 9/11. Not our fault.

Tom

Would anyone like to join me in a chant-"I hate insurance, I hate insurance, I hate insurance"?
I know when you have a big claim it can change your tune but I see our society trapped in a vortex where insurance is driving costs in an ever increasing upward spiral! I long for the times when it didn't cost umpteen thousand dollars for medical care and you shook hands and paid off a reasonable bill in reasonable installments.:(

W/C is the result of management abuse of workers, and the rergulations requiring contractors to cover subs without coverage is due to dishonest owners who try to circumvent the system by forcing workers to act as subs.

I cna usnderstand that, but when we get fees that are several times the average wage, I think there should be some compensation for that in the law.

Lawmakers ignore me though.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn

Lawmakers ignore me though.

Maybe if you showed up in person they would be willing to listen. Perhaps bring along a chainsaw.

Just a thought.

The reason WC is high is not political, IMO, it's high because of the total lack of safe working practices, combined with inherently high risk work.
At our company, the WC rate for office personal is quite low and reasonable.
WC rates are established based on the number of claims for each type of work. Most tree workers, ignore the majority of ANSI recommendations. Heck, even on this "professional" site we routinely see pictures, and hear stories of single tie ins while working, one handed saw use, little or no personal protective gear, illegal saw mods, and tales of climbing unsafe dead trees.
If we are the professionals, think what the hacks are doing.
Until this industry as a whole can reduce accident rates, the WC rates are not comming down.

I remember the problems of coverage in South Carolina, don't know about other states but we managed to slip thru the cracks by applying for coverage under Landscapers. The fine print allowed one on crew to climb trees for 'retrieval' purposes....whatever that meant. It would've boiled down to hiring an attorney for ironing-out the details if we screwed-up.

Everything's going up, the cost of being an American in these times. Prepare for and expect it. Lobbying pressure for specific needs may help, but the pie has only so many pieces. I like the idea of a bunch of us (power in numbers) marching up the capital steps with our felling saws fueled-up and oiled well.

Reed, I thought that is what the NAA does for us? Goes up against the government against rediculous laws and other such things. Has anyone ever heard of getting a discount on insurance if the group is a member of the NAA / ISA?? Just wondering.

I was in chat the other night discussing the costs and benifits of joining the ISA or NAA. Other than being able to put the logo in your yellow pages ad, I don't see a lot of benifits for small local tree guys. If they could provide something the little guy could USE, rather than seminars and trade shows hundreds or thousands of miles away, I might see it differently. I would think that helping small tree outfits (90%+ of us) acquire affordable insurance coverage would be a major issue. As it is, it seems like they only provide 'services' designed to separate us from our hard-earned dollars. :(

That's why I don't pay dues - it lost it's equity. I respect both organizations however.

My wife's in the same pickle - she's a self-employed performance artist. Not only are insurance issues a factor for her but taxes are a nightmare. We make little money with us both independents but need a nearly full-time accountant. Sucks.

Her people though have addressed the issue of a group plan for health coverage. Even though her occupation poses hazards like airline crashes etc, simple health care has been for us "out of pocket cash" and it's taking a big toll. My cancer past doesn't help either but it has NOTHING to do with trees or the accidents that could occur while working on them. I have to pay $1500 a month and this comes from clients and it's not fair as an independent who prides himself on doing work people wouldn't otherwise afford to have done. My client base are people who leave the dead standing because Davey or Bartlett have no tolerance. I'm playing with the idea of no coverage, and I know lots of people who have no choice. Using luck is a potential disaster.

Maybe the issue can come-up as a goal for the organizations - you know, kind of put some money where their mouth is? We don't have the benefit of Union representation but I'd hate to see it go there.

I was considering something along the lines of; NAA / ISA goes to a bunch of LARGE / reputable insurance companies and tries to work out some type of bulk rate with them or SOMETHING. Figure if your already paying the money to be in those organizations, you might as well take advantage of it by recieving a lower premium each year. Possibly a percentage off for members???

Latest posts

Back