Worst chainsaw ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl 08S

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Red, you just insulted a zillion satisfied users. I can't think of any other saw that had so many happy followers thoughout its approx. 30 years of manufacture. Andreas Stihl is still counting his money he made with that model, at least in europe

Keeps randomly shutting down. Hard to keep tuned. I'm thinking crank seals, but haven't done any real troubleshooting on it. Bought it on a whim after I stumbled upon Buckin Billy Ray a couple years back. Got a small touch of yellow fever:chainsaw:

Those plastic McCullochs are like a puzzle from hell but I did trade a Husqvarna 445 for one because I hated the 445 that much.

That 445 was an underpowered pain in my ass.

Slasher, did you have the 445 OE (45.7cc IIRC) or the 445 NE (50.2cc IIRC)?

My Wife's saw is the 445 NE (50.2cc), and while it doesn't quite keep up with the 353, or 550XP, I have been quite Impressed with it for a $305.00 Homeowners saw. So far it has performed better than I expected of it, has been easy to start and Dead Reliable. I have no complaints about the Wife's saw so far, I feel it was an Excellent saw for it's price point, and intended usage.

Doug :cheers:

All plastic clams have an inner metal clam sandwiching the crank bearings. The combustible inners of all the engine are metal.. they stand up well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

MiniMacs . PIA to work on . Even when everything is done correctly ,and all the parts are good , they may not run well just to be spiteful .
I’d almost rather poop in my hands and Then clap rather than working on one again ...
I feel yeah... that just made my night, right there.!:ices_rofl:

I hope you're all happy now... Bit of play in crank bearings. Piston and cylinder look good. Now I source parts

Attachments

• 20200510_195932.jpg
    20200510_195932.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 17
I don't recall the model, but it was an 80 or 81 McCulloch with the auto sharp feature. The saw ran great and cut well beyond it's size. The problem was the designer put the air filter behind the drive sprocket. The air filter would become packed with chips and stall the saw.

I hope you're all happy now... Bit of play in crank bearings. Piston and cylinder look good. Now I source parts
I'd be interested to know how / where you find crank bearings. I needed new bearings for my SP40, i ended up ordering a set of lightly used bearings on flea-bay that were complete with the seals and the bearing sleeves, supposedly all good, for like $6. For that cheap it's worth the gamble.

Jonsered 370 has to be in the running here...

370 tanks.jpg

That's both the fuel and oil tanks, try sealing that puppy up when the lid gets all distorted and warped.
Quadra/trail/frontier manufactured, the opitome of the 'homeowner piece 'o crap saw' in so many ways...
I have a running/cutting one that I'd feel guilty about giving to someone for free.

As for Husky 350's... I have great luck with 'em, a couple easily remedied design flaws and then I think it's one of the best budget/homeowner class saws ever made.

All plastic clams have an inner metal clam sandwiching the crank bearings. The combustible inners of all the engine are metal.. they stand up well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

From what I have seen and read, the Husky 4XX series saws Perform and Hold Up Well, for what they are.

The husky 460 is my "Truck Saw" it is locked in the canopy of the pick up 24/7/365. Where we live, trees down in the road are an often enough occurrence, that I picked up the 460 used, for a decent price, for that reason, she ain't Purty, but she runs well, and there ain't No Way that I am keeping "Old Reliable" my 266XP in the truck full time, she IS still real Purty, even at almost 30 years old, kinda like Dancing with your High School Sweetheart, when I pick her up and put 'er to wood.

The 460 has reliable done her service without complaint, and the Wife's 445 (NE), doesn't have a lot of time on it, but it has served well so far, and performed better than I expected of a Home Owner class saw. I have been curious about Husky's 543XP, seems to be Husky's "Forgotten Saw", I never seem to see much mention of it Good or Bad, just "Forgotten". Curiosity got the better of me, and a 543XP w/16" B&C should show up at the house while I am working out of town again. I am wondering if the Wife won't "Adopt" the 543XP as "Her" next saw.

Any how, so far, the plastic clamshell saws have fared very well from my experiences.

Doug :cheers:

Guy gave me a Poulan strato, looked like low hour saw, sometimes back and it defeated me. I should have made him pay me to take it off his hands.
Don't remember the model but I'm very cautious of strato saws now days.
I have a good bar and chain. I need to see if the bar and chain will fit any other non-Poulan/craftsman saws and if the bar can be modded to fit Homies, Stihls, Mac's.
Whoa, I would not put it on a Stihl (and drag the Stihl down)if it was a direct fit because it has the Poulan name on the bar. (I'm a Stihl guy)
Stratos do work I managed to even get that poulan to work by working the metering lever height out with the carb.
thestrato design works on all models, almost all the running problems I have seen withcheaper ones isa fault of the carb

If they have spark and compression they should be an easy fix!

I like how this thread is turning into a "Small McCullochs that we hate but love anyway" thread, haha

I thought so also about compression and fire until the Polish Polan Strato stomped on me. When I hear the word strato I get flash backs.;)

I thought so also about compression and fire until the Polish Polan Strato stomped on me. When I hear the word strato I get flash backs.;)

I have a PP 4218 that was given to me that I think has a strato engine and runs good, once i adjusted the carb. I've heard the strato engines are finicky to tune?

Latest posts

Back