Worst Wood to Split by Hand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yellow Birch can be ignorant. I've had wedges sunk right in it, and would not give and inch (it had a pretty twisted grain, mind you).

Last edited:
Elm is a bear, that's for sure. I prefer to split it when it's down around zero. A few hits with a maul will generally do the trick depending on the size.

I generally have better luck on hickory using an axe, again depending on the size. Same goes for Cherry and Ash. Around here, cherry splits pretty easy most of the time.

I've been cutting a lot of black locust this year, and an axe won't seem to even touch the smaller piecs. I dropped the trees back in Jan, and bucked a lot of them in the spring. They are now dried and checked, but the maul still has a hard time with the 18" rounds. So I bought an 064 and now I noodle them. A nice easy hit with about anything does the trick just fine now :) No more beating my brains out with a maul. I"ll take a 15 pound saw to an 8 pound maul anyday :biggrinbounce2:

I'll have to agree with Swamp Yankee that Elm is a bear even with a splitter. Cherry here in Northern Indiana is a breeze to split, every time the wind blows they fall down.

Yellow Birch can be ignorant. I've had wedges sunk right in, it and would not give and inch (it had a pretty twisted grain, mind you).

I would put as a second worse to elm. Yellow birch can be a funny wood to split, sometimes it cracks open so easy that you wonder why you used two hands to swing the maul and other times it takes 3 or 4 swings to start developing a crack.

I would put as a second worse to elm. Yellow birch can be a funny wood to split, sometimes it cracks open so easy that you wonder why you used two hands to swing the maul and other times it takes 3 or 4 swings to start developing a crack.

Thats just what I find. One piece will explode with one swing, the next will take a sledge/maul, and still take a dozen hits while grinning at you.

Add another to Elm. I haven't had any problems with anything else up here in MI. Elm always seems to be a PITA, sometimes I don't know if it's worth dinking with.

Even the splitter sometimes doesn't like it, or it will just slowly cut through all the grain.

What is this "split by hand" you speak of...:monkey:

:) Those of you that split all your heating wood by hand are far better men than I...

Yes, that's true. We certainly are. :agree2:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh, c'mon! You asked for it! :laugh:

:cheers:

Black Cherry is one of the easier for me.
Interesting that your is twisted and difficult

Hickory has been my worst. ... often it has to be run the full length of the ram because it is so stringy.

Black gum, black locust ...

Interesting differences here, folks. Black cherry is a piece of cake for me. Hickory too. Black locust? One of the easiest! Straight grained and just pops open!

I suspect we're calling different trees by the same names. Probably regional differences, coupled with the fact that most of us don't know how to ID trees as well as we think we do! :D

Always good having a few elm rounds on hand. For when there's company.

Usually the gals like to talk amonsgt themselves. Us fellas usually head out to the barn or else to the woodpile. Even my non-woodheat friends like to mosey on out.

Gee, that's a lotta wood.

Yep. Split it with a maul. Like this. (Demolish an oak round by way of demonstration.). Here, you try. (put elm round on stump. Enjoy the free entertainment.)

Interesting differences here, folks. Black cherry is a piece of cake for me. Hickory too. Black locust? One of the easiest! Straight grained and just pops open!

I suspect we're calling different trees by the same names. Probably regional differences, coupled with the fact that most of us don't know how to ID trees as well as we think we do! :D

BL might be easier to split when dried but when green ive alwayse thought it was hard to split.

Always good having a few elm rounds on hand. For when there's company.

Usually the gals like to talk amonsgt themselves. Us fellas usually head out to the barn or else to the woodpile. Even my non-woodheat friends like to mosey on out.

Gee, that's a lotta wood.

Yep. Split it with a maul. Like this. (Demolish an oak round by way of demonstration.). Here, you try. (put elm round on stump. Enjoy the free entertainment.)

Cruel, very cruel

But somehow brilliant in its simplicity.

Take Care

Elm.

Here are a couple pics of my elm experiment. Notice how small the log is. The wedge was swallowed by this elm round. It never did split.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It never split?So what did you do?Just throw the log and wedge in the fire?:laugh:

The log didn't need split to begin with. It was a boring day last winter so I thought I would give it a try. I had to spread both ends to work my wedge loose. I thought the elm gave a good fight so I left it in tact.

Back