Worth fixing 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 359 that one of my re..rds put reg gas in. When I pulled the cyllinder I found the front of the piston worn in so deep it was past the ring groove.

Is it worth doing a new top end. I am thinking that with all that going on something had to make it's way to the low end to start some damage. Can anyone offer an opinion. Everything else on the saw is fine. Parts are expensive and I believe this would be considered a light commercial saw or less.

Please offer opinions.

Thanks,

John

PM Spike60 and see if he can get you a oem one. If you can find a good used one that would be the way to go. A 357xp p&c will also fit. I see a oem kit on another site for $305 but that is alot of $$$ to put into it.:dizzy:

A new topend is $300.+. I wouldn't fix it if the cylinder is shot. There is no aftermarket cylinder available.
Try and clean the cylinder up. Use muratic acid and a small brush, keep applying the acid to the cylinder where the aluminum is embedded. Sand away the rest of aluminum left behind. Do a search, there are several threads on the topic.
Get an aftermarket piston kit from Bailey's and run it.

I have a Jonsered 2159 bought it in the same condition, (same saw) and I have the above piston in it, been running the sh:censored: out of it. It's my new favorite saw. If you want to get rid of the Husky you have I'll gladly give you a few bucks for it...............454

Maybe I'll try the piston

I guess it sounds like it's worth the money. I'll say this. I ran right out and bought a stihl 260 to replace this saw - we are light on husky dealers here it seems. I know that the 260 is a smaller saw but it feels a lot smaller so far. I would like to have that 359 back if possible. I'm gonna look at the cylinder and cleaning it tomorrow.

Thanks to all for taking the time

John

Try Ebay...

There's a seller named Randy Duncan-"Randy's Engine Repair" and he has a ton of new cylinders and a boatload of other Husqvarna parts. He even has a phone number. It's definitely worth a try.
Other than bearings, I don't know what other damage could be done to the bottom end that wouldn't be visible.

whats 300???????

359 top end is 170 357 top end is 15 bucks more, ive been quoted that price withn 5 bucks from the internet and local dealers, ass well as Azlogger.

is 300 to have the shope rebuild it.????

i

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=Husqvarna&mn=359
$300. was Bailey's price. I saw about $190. in your link, sounds like a good deal for oem parts.
It's still a lot of money to put into a 359.
I would try cleaning the cylinder, you'll be amazed how they clean up, I know I was the first one I did.............454

i dunno used 359s go for for 200-250 then another 200 and theyre a like new saw. but then again you could buy a new one and save the hassle.

maybe a smoked one would go for 50 bucks then it would be a good 200 invested.

359 Top End

I spent all day today doing acid - muriatic that is, and cleaning everything that I can. I have it all ready to put back together. If visual asessment counts for much it looks like a miracle. We'll see what happens but I fear I might be sick that I ran right out and bought a new saw. With AM piston this job is going to cost me next to nothing (50-60 bucks). I'll update when it has cut wood for a full day.

JohnS

Latest posts

Back