Worth Milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long is the log?

Looks like you might get 4 or 5 2" slabs out of that bad boy that are useable, and I am sure it depends on it's ultimate purpose. Do you need burr-oak in 'stock' or drying? Or is it something you already have a bunch of?

Also, length would make a pretty big differance to me too. If it is under 7ft, it's really unlikely to be used for table slabs, so what would you use it for?

As far as it being stable, the grain may crack, but adding epoxy and a black die to the epoxy just makes those cracks have even more charecter?

Those are some thoughts from me I guess.
Ian

I vote for mill it and post some pics! I reckon it has potential for some unique boards. You can always burn it if it turns out to be crap.

I wouldn't mill it if it were on my wood pile, but since it's your saw & time, and you will post photos, I say go for it, and we'll all learn from your experience.

I am more likely to burn the straight stuff. I am always interested in the wood that will have that amount of character. Sure it may be hard to work with but the best pieces always are.
My humble opinion. :chainsaw:

if you have some time to kill, mill it. but in my view that's just firewood. I don't see any burrs either, unless American Oaks have a differing burr pattern to our UK stuff. that to me just looks like many fork unions. these however can give good grain patterns though they can be a little awkward to mill I ve found.
an English burr oak example is below and is 42" at its widest. I ve yet to fell and mill this, weather is just to darn hot. for a change :laugh:
View attachment 304083View attachment 304084

simon

Last edited:
Big Beech, that is one burly tree! Hope you'll do us the favor of posting photos when you do slice that one up. In the U.S., burr oak refers to a species of tree (Quercus macrocarpa) which is in the white oak group. They have huge acorns, live for centuries, and can grow to 6' or more in diameter.

Big Beech, that is one burly tree! Hope you'll do us the favor of posting photos when you do slice that one up. In the U.S., burr oak refers to a species of tree (Quercus macrocarpa) which is in the white oak group. They have huge acorns, live for centuries, and can grow to 6' or more in diameter.

Dave,

thanks for the info. though the second part of that Latin name sends a shiver down my spine. hate those trees over here. dusty old things. and they get big too!!!

you could always freehand rip the sides off and see whats inside the log ,i just slice a line not too deep then keep making slices on that same mark over and over till i'm through ,goes pretty fast and comes out straighter than making a deep cut and ripping through ,will make a lot of noodle chips ,so keep your sprocket cover cleaned out with a bar wrench

View attachment 304086
View attachment 304088

Last edited:
Mill it with the stubs parallel with the blade/bar. Looks like you have some metal in it.

Its mill-able.........mill it. Even if it turns out to be firewood in the end, you were busy milling and like most of the time, your probably going to get some unique boards out of it that make it all worthwhile.

Back