Worth more as log or firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
find some local amish to come check it out before any hauling is done if you get 100$ or more ...take it and run

The wind damage thing is good to know. The tree actually broke at a "Y" crotch. I sawed the split stuff off until I did not see any more cracks, then I cut an extra 16" off for good measure. Do you still think this log would be able to be sawn for my own boards, my neighbour has a small mill, and with some sweet talking (beer:)). He may let me saw the log there.
I have another question?
Is there that much more value in dried cherry boards? I have no experience with hardwood lumber at all.

Thanks TS:cheers:

I work at a cabinet shop and we use cherry from time to time. Its a very expensive wood too, but to really make something out of it its best if its kiln dried, and cherry, as with walnut the kiln does an extra step in which they steam the wood to help uniform the color of the sap wood. Cherry & walnut both have that white sap wood close to the bark that is undesirable to most people. We get folks from time to time call us and ask if we buy lumber like this they have dried in their barn, we never buy lumber that way because the most stable wood is dried at a certain speed and moisture content. We could not warranty a cabinet that was made with wood like this because it could "move" alot. I bet you could air dry it and make something from it yourself though.

find some local amish to come check it out before any hauling is done if you get 100$ or more ...take it and run

+1 Amish would snatch that up..big time! BUT, you being in ontario, I don't think any are up there?

Me, personally, I would cut it down at the longest lengths I could haul home. Run a ad or check out local people that do wood work and offer it to them free for future cabinet work:)

Last edited:
If you know any folks that are into firearms, cherry is good for gunstocks. Might want to make a few calls in that area, at least they could tell you how thick to make the blanks. Might fetch a price on e bay.

On the International Scale a 16' log with a 14" top is 155 bf. You have a tad more than that. But they may not use this scale in Ontario.

Cut and split that log would produce about a face cord and a half of firewood.

If you decide to sell the log, get the specs before you buck it.

Last edited:
Turkeyslayer – Repost this over at the milling and milling saws forum. You will get some good answers.

This is what I tell my “friends” when they want to use my mill. Buy your own blade ( I use Lenox woodmaster blades $20) and a 30 pack of PBR is to be left on the porch, and clean up the mess when done.

Offer this to your “friend” and he will most likely help you out (The blade is key).

Worst case you will need up with very flat fire wood.

Good luck.

Here is a link to the Ontario Woodlot Association business directory, you can find someone in your area to mill it if you like, or maybe come look at it.
http://www.ont-woodlot-assoc.org/frap/form/frapContractor.cfm

Get a few more logs together and it will make sense to get someone in with a portable mill. If you get it cut and air dry it well you might get $2-3 a board foot.
I have a bunch of Sugar maple, red and white oak, cherry, some ash and even some poplar that were "too nice" for firewood. I've used a bit for cutting boards(maple and cherry)handles for the wheel barrow, and some red oak for 5" wide baseboards, used the white oak for a railing on the balcony and made a couple hay feeders for our goats with it.
I've easily paid for the milling and I might have used 1/4 to 1/3 of the wood so far.
If you like wood, going from tree to final product is pretty satisfying, even if it takes some time and some trial and error.
Ian

I would seriously consider the bowl blanks myself. Look on ebay, you might be surprised what they fetch.
I run across walnut occasionally, and saw up all of it for use instead of firewood.I have a small mill myself, but I found the biggest return is bowl blanks. Cut it into 12 inche pieces, paint the ends with wax, and sell em on ebay.
Last summer I sold quite a number of walnut blanks this way, and made some good money on the deals!

I would seriously consider the bowl blanks myself. Look on ebay, you might be surprised what they fetch.
I run across walnut occasionally, and saw up all of it for use instead of firewood. I have a small mill myself, but I found the biggest return is bowl blanks. Cut it into 12 inch pieces, paint the ends with wax, and sell em on ebay.

Last summer I sold quite a number of walnut blanks this way, and made some good money on the deals!
+! Thanks for the support, Avalancher. You can actually turn two good size bowls with one 14" long piece that's only 12" dia. Each bowl can fetch $100. A log this size can yield even larger bowls or trays. Milled cherry goes for $5 a bd ft. Even if a sawmill turns you down, the lathe operators will not. They are out there, but you have to let them find you.

We have a guy at work that makes wood bowls and he makes them from a bunch of little pieces glued together. He says glued up is the only way to make the bowl stable.

Hi everyone thanks again for all the opinions. Today I talked to a couple of people that may be intrested in the log. One is my neighbour who is a cabinet maker specializing in rustic/cottage style one off pieces, he is supposed to check the log out in the morning. The other is the log buyer that I dealt with 2 years ago when I sold my timber. He said around here the price for good cherry goes for $0.70 a board foot, but he put me in contact with a veneer buyer who will be buy tomorrow to check out the log. The going rate for veneer is around $3.00 US per board foot which works out to $3.86 Canadian. I'm kind of hoping it is veneer. I will definatly look into the bowl blanks as well. Things are really thawing out fast around here now so I am going to skid the log up to the house first thing tomorrow.

Thanks again TS:cheers:

Back