Wot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, a saw with loads of power/torque and a large bar could eat the clutch/Sprocket out of its self if it was not being held WOT in large cuts.

In LARGE cuts yes WOT every time! Trimming a bit of 1/2 ply to fit somewhere awkward NO!
As Lake stated there are mid range jets:cheers: to cope with these situations. Just not with an early 036/044 lol

To be clear.. in the pic above from Jonny... the 3 L "jets" are not the "mid range jets" we're discussing. The above are "progression" bore (jets) jets to ease the transition from idle to full speed. If one or more of the larger jets are blocked, you get tha real bad stumble.

Most of the design I see for mid-range jets are pressure (-) actived and have an associated check valve. I don't have pic of one in file form.. and my scanner is broken.. Stihl#1 will have one..

To be clear.. in the pic above from Jonny... the 3 L "jets" are not the "mid range jets" we're discussing. The above are "progression" bore (jets) jets to ease the transition from idle to full speed. If one or more of the larger jets are blocked, you get tha real bad stumble.

Most of the design I see for mid-range jets are pressure (-) actived and have an associated check valve. I don't have pic of one in file form.. and my scanner is broken.. Stihl#1 will have one..

Yes. (I said 'effecting' - to have the effect of) and that doesn't mean it covers the full range adequately, but must have significant effect.

Lake, what carb.s did Stihl use to mid range jet. It almost sounds like they made there own? Pics (or names) would be good. :)

They didn't make their own - Both walbro and zama added the jets for Stihl, and no doubt others.

Example:

O36:
C3A-S26A - No mid range jet
C3A-S31A - With mid range Jet

Those 3 circuit carbs, lo,mid,hi, I think the lo jet doesn't affect the hi jet much on them, I like the 2 circuit carbs better where hi affects lo, no flat spots, you tune any flatspot out and get the perfect mixture for that altitude where the saw runs properly, I suppose in theory the factory settings are optimum power maybe at sea level, but then there's crappy grade petrol too, also some saws eat dust like it or not, every few weeks I have to rip the carb off, unscrew the lids undo the jets and blow thru every passage, lung power does it, runs primo afterwards but looking inside there's not much sign of dust, seems to come from the pulse tube, see what I mean by eating dust, seems to do a nice circuit right thru the whole goddam saw, but it's probably just me being careless and not cleaning the saw

Are you talking about this?

Back