Would you put a new 25$ piston in this cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I kind of got burned on this e-bay saw... It supposedly ran, but lacked power in the cut. :greenchainsaw:

When I put gas in it, it poured all over when I picked the saw up. I gave it two pulls and the recoil gave out. I pulled the top cover and the carb area was a mess of clear epoxy and copper RTV. I cleaned everything up as best as I could, made some new and test gaskets and pressure tested it, leaks like crazy around the intake. I stripped the threads out of the cylinder trying to tighten away the leak.

Anyway, now we are totally disassembled. I was going to clean up the piston and cylinder and put it back together with the old ring, but I broke the old ring. I think with about 50$ worth of parts MIGHT get me running.

Should I just cut my losses and call this a parts saw? I don't expect much, it doesn't have to run that well, it just has to run.

I tried to get as clear of a picture as I could. This is after muriatic acid and sanding. What do you think? I can't feel the ridges with my fingernail, but you can still see some scuffing near the top of the cylinder.

IMG_3953.jpg

Last edited:
$25 piston. I would try it at least. It dosen't look too bad should be able to get lucky. Like was said before may not be a bad idea to run a hone through it first.

Throw a piston in it and run it. What ya out? 25 bucks? If it was mine Id be running it. Is that an 026?

Yep, hone it and throw a piston at it.. you'll be happy... most of the damage is not in the compression zone...

Last edited:
Yep, hone it and throw a piston at it.. you'll be happy... most of the damage is not in the compression zone...

Andy,

Can you do us a little favor? Looking at that pic, can you kind of di-sect the pic and show us what is what. Where is the compression area and what is the damage area in relation? Just trying to learn.

Thanks,

andy is probably more knowledgeable but starting from the top of the picture. That would be the cylinder head where the sparkplug would screw in. Its like a dome up there. Then below the cylinder head is the upper cylinder wall that is the compression area. the holes below the compression area are called ports. the cylinder walls below the ports are there to guide the piston

Andy,

Can you do us a little favor? Looking at that pic, can you kind of di-sect the pic and show us what is what. Where is the compression area and what is the damage area in relation? Just trying to learn.

Thanks,

The slight scoring above and to the right the exhaust port looks minimal and if you cant hang a nail and only have one or two light vertical ones they will fill in with carbon and the saw will run surprisingly well usually with a new piston,
The lines below, the exhaust port should not touch the rings so they are not as critical just by where they are,,,and like the scuffing near the top of the cylinder if the scuffed area is above the ring travel area or light in nature it has minimal effect on how the moto will run,,,,it too will fill in with carbon and seal,,, I have seen some cylinders that most people would not think are any good and actually run very well,,,,

I know I'm not Andy but I'm sure he will be along soon to smack me around!!! I hope that helps

Last edited:
I've read through this thread a couple times did I miss what saw it is? I'm far from being an expert, but I don't think it looks to bad up where it really matters the most. A light honing, new piston & ring (rings) & it'll run.

Thanks for the words of encouragement

The saw in question is a Solo 654 AKA Homelite 340. I'm already in this far, so I think I'm going to try throwing a few more bucks at it.

Really this is just a learning experience. I don't need another chainsaw. I am just slowly building my collection by order of displacement. Its more the challenge of taking something that doesn't work and fixing it. Working on a small engine like this is relaxing for me, so I don't consider my time as a cost. If it starts and runs I will consider my efforts a success. I may never actually run this saw enough to break it in after the rebuild. How's that for CAD?

Next question....carbon

So, the black stuff on the cylinder wall is carbon. Man that stuff is hard to get off. There is a significant amount left above the exhaust port.

Should I continue trying to remove it, or just leave it for the hone?

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.

I haven't decided if I'm going to buy a hone (tools don't really count as money towards fixing the saw, right?) or see if I can get my local guy to do it. He sells Echo and I do like the look of the "generic" echo grommeted fuel line for a replacement for my saw. He doesn't usually stock too much though.

I have been trying to get in touch with Curt's Stihl Chainsaw Parts Plus' e-bay store. He has a piston listed, but the piston doesn't look quite like mine. Mine is open under the wrist pin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=140181972335&rd=1

IMG_3955.jpg

Latest posts

Back