Would you run this cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Well actually more importantly, Would you buy a saw with this cylinder on it?
IMG_20130115_142607_546.jpg

Somehow I've ran into a bunch of 362-365-372 models in the last month in my trading around. 4 of them were split all the way down, new bearings,seals, the whole 9 yards. I got one more nice (2010) bottom end that I just put back together with fresh parts yesterday. Got a nice tank and stuff for it, but I'm out of ''perfect'' cylinders.

I got the above one with the top fin broke off and a piece of another one below it. It has a perfect 50mm bore....

.....and I got this one thats perfect on the outside, but it ate something somehow in it's early life. It's a real low hour 51.4mm XPW cylinder that I had the chamber and base cut and then I ported it myself. It ran great, but something came through the transfer port and done some damage. I have no clue what done the damage...I looked and looked and looked some more...even tore the whole saw down to look at the bearings and all. All I can figure is something was in the air filter when I put it back together :cry: Cylinder isn't that bad, but again it's less than perfect.

IMG_20130115_142717_092.jpg

No doubt both of them would run just fine, but which would you rather run on your saw? I may be better off to just forget about both these cylinders and look on for a better one. The buyer would be made WELL aware if either of these cylinders is used. I just hate to sell something less than perfect,,, but at the same time I hate to trash the cylinders for there problems knowing both of them would run just fine.

Last edited:
Sure it wasn't a locating pin? Right size and laying above the ring. That cylinder will eat rings, I'd trash it and run the missing fin cylinder.

That's just me.

Nope, not the locating pin either. Believe me, I've checked EVERYTHING lol.

What ever it was came from the bottom first....

Look at that indention in the squish band....thats the size and shape of whatever done the damage. I dug it out but couldn't really tell what it was.

Reckon it will eat rings? It still made 155 psi.

Honestly I've ran much worse before on my own saws, but this one won't be mine....

Last edited:
Nope, not the locating pin either. Believe me, I've checked EVERYTHING lol.

What ever it was came from the bottom first....

Look at that indention in the squish band....thats the size and shape of whatever done the damage. I dug it out but couldn't really tell what it was.

Reckon it will eat rings? It still made 155 psi.

Honestly I've ran much worse before on my own saws, but this one won't be mine....

I'd run either but the one with the broken fins is a better cylinder overall.

If you need to trade for that XPW cylinder, I have a pristine 50mm cylinder with no broken fins...and I have a piston to go with it.

Run the one with the broken fins. Its not going to hurt a thing.

People don't realize how much the manufacturers overbuild/over-engineer these parts. My 372 timber cutting saw is missing most of the fins on one
side and I ran it hard all summer long in 85-100 degree weather without a single issue.

That's why i said a locating pin, just about that size. Not a small chunk of a clip? How about the tip of a fuel jet?

No pin, No piece of a clip. No bearing, No bearing cage. All the screws and stuff is still in the carb...

I had all the parts throwed in a box together. Im 99% sure something had to get stuck in the air filter while in there....

Heck I ran it for awhile then kapowie!

I'd run either but the one with the broken fins is a better cylinder overall.

If you need to trade for that XPW cylinder, I have a pristine 50mm cylinder with no broken fins...and I have a piston to go with it.

That may be my best option here JJ. I'd personally have no problems running either of those on my own saws, but I got 1 362, 1 365, and 2 372s now and I don't need another one. This one will go down the road. PM incoming!

No pin, No piece of a clip. No bearing, No bearing cage. All the screws and stuff is still in the carb...

I had all the parts throwed in a box together. Im 99% sure something had to get stuck in the air filter while in there....

Heck I ran it for awhile then kapowie!

Run the one with the fins missing. As others have said not enough gone to worry about.

Also that 660 cylinder you sent me awhile back is still kickin' it every day.My buddy I built it for loves the saw. Thanks Again !! Scoot

I'd run either on my own saw. I'd rather have a broken cooling fin or two than a bore imperfection. But I'd run the XPW to see what happens. It's only money (again, on my own saw only).

Run the one with the fins missing. As others have said not enough gone to worry about.

Also that 660 cylinder you sent me awhile back is still kickin' it every day.My buddy I built it for loves the saw. Thanks Again !! Scoot

Good to hear my friend!

Here's one I ran all last summer cutting snags on a U.S.F.S./BLM contract, mildly ported, stock muffler, Wiseco thin-ring piston...it didn't miss a beat.

Dang JJ, tradin all your good stuff away and keeping the junk for yourself? Don't make sense.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Dang JJ, tradin all your good stuff away and keeping the junk for yourself? Don't make sense.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The funny thing is, I originally built that saw with a mint condition stock top end for a member here, who stopped contacting me
and stopped coming here. So it sat in my shop for a while and I debated throwing it up ebay. Then I got word that I would be doing
the hazard tree contract for several camp grounds nearby and decided to port that jug and throw in a new Wiseco piston.

It runs fabulous and is right on the heels of a highly modified 046 that's running an 064 piston.

Latest posts

Back