Wounded mature cherry tree - seek advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Solow

Reaction score
a large cherry tree over fifty years old has developed a wound that baffles me. The tree overall seems healthy but several weeeks ago I noticed bark peeling and some holes. There is a fine sawdust like powder at the base of the tree. Someone suggested it might be carpenter ants but i don't see any insects when I examine it under a magnifying glass. I've also been advised to just the result of a large root that died and to leave it alone and it will be fine. I'm worried since I love this tree like a dear friend. It survived Sandy and other vissistudes. I would be grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8896.JPG
    IMG_8896.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
That is an old scar, you can see the callous growth along the margin as the tree attempts to seal the wound. I can't tell what caused the wound, but whatever caused the damage, damaged the cambium but wasn't sufficient to knock the bark off. Over time, the bark has dried out and finally fallen off.

Carpenter ants do not bore into live wood, they only burrow into dead (usually somewhat rotten) material to build their nests. So ants will not be causing further damage.

Cherries are pretty tough. I had one that finally gave up the ghost after 60+ years (the age from what some of my neighbour's told me). It had lots of rot and some sketchy looking branch attachments, but when I took it down I was surprised how solid it was. On the other hand, I've seen them fail with no outward sign of decay.

Lean is no indicator of tree hazard. What we need to know is size of the tree, proximity of hazards (targets) and condition of the upper canopy to give a more accurate estimate of tree risk. Can you give some pics showing the whole tree and what's around it?

Whatever caused that wound was a long time ago, yes. But if this isnt textbook ant sign i dont know what is.
IMG_1264.PNG
A tree this size, with what i would call significant decay and insect activity at the base, leaning at what looks to be
10-15 * toward a structure is not a hazard?

There is some white rot decay and carpenter ant decay. The black and yellowish "paint" marks could indicate Xylariaceae which could indicate a soft rot rather than a true white rot. Hard to tell from a pic on a phone.

Condemning a tree simply due to the prescence of a decay organism(s) and lean isn't necessarily the necessary course of action. In fact, that's how far too many trees have been removed (at great expense in some cases) without a proper tree inspection being performed.

All that said, I'm not crazy about the appearance of the trunk flair adjacent to the decay in the second to last pic.

I would guess that on the side the decay is on that there is a large girdling root. That flat appearance to the trunk is often a indicator of one.
Like others said ants are living in the decay, not causing it, and a lot of other factors (like targets) determine whether or not a tree should come down.
An on site arborist can give you a better idea of what you are dealing with. I know someone in your area (if that is Brooklyn ny) who could give you some good advice of how to proceed if you want. He will tell you whether or not the tree is safe to keep or not but he does not do removals. He charges for his evaluation. Pm me if you would like his contact info.

I would guess that on the side the decay is on that there is a large girdling root. That flat appearance to the trunk is often a indicator of one.
Like others said ants are living in the decay, not causing it, and a lot of other factors (like targets) determine whether or not a tree should come down.
An on site arborist can give you a better idea of what you are dealing with. I know someone in your area (if that is Brooklyn ny) who could give you some good advice of how to proceed if you want. He will tell you whether or not the tree is safe to keep or not but he does not do removals. He charges for his evaluation. Pm me if you would like his contact info.
Thanks for the opinion. about fifteen feet from this tree I've left a pile of dead branches for over a year. I'm thinking maybe bugs from that pile infected this tree. I guess I better destroy that wood pile soon. The tree is in a back yard and has had this lean for the past twenty years so It's not in immediate danger of falling. The depth of the soft pulp currently does not seem to extend beyond a few inches. Yet, if some borrers or other insect makes things worse that is another story. Is there no remedy to help the tree heal. Should I spray it daily with an organic insecticide? Someone said to pour tar over the wound. Sounds nuts but... it was a very, very rainy winter and the wound side of the tree gets little sun so that perhaps did not help. The thing is that I only noticed it three months ago when the bark started peeling off. If there are cures for what is ailing the tree I would be interested in professional advice. I will not cut this tree down until I've given it absolutely every opportunity to recover first. Thanks

There is some white rot decay and carpenter ant decay. The black and yellowish "paint" marks could indicate Xylariaceae which could indicate a soft rot rather than a true white rot. Hard to tell from a pic on a phone.

Condemning a tree simply due to the prescence of a decay organism(s) and lean isn't necessarily the necessary course of action. In fact, that's how far too many trees have been removed (at great expense in some cases) without a proper tree inspection being performed.
Thanks, yes some of the pulp seems mushy and soft. The overall tree is definitely healthy and the canopy is fine. If you like I can post more photos. I'm just worried that "if" it is some insect causing this perhaps I could help the tree heal someway with chemical treatment or some other remedy

As said above, it does look like this is not a new wound and is in the process of healing. My concern would just be the amount of decay in the tree, the lack of root flare (notice the large buttress root on the left side of the pic showing the base of the tree). without being there its hard to fully know the extent of the decay, but i really dont think that thing will ever heal fully, just my opinion. Sorta like an iceberg, your probly only seeing a small part of the decayed tissue.

Whatever caused that wound was a long time ago, yes. But if this isnt textbook ant sign i dont know what is.

A tree this size, with what i would call significant decay and insect activity at the base, leaning at what looks to be
10-15 * toward a structure is not a hazard?

I'm not saying your wrong, but I wouldn't give a strong opinion based on a single photo like that. The angle where the photo was taken can change perspective.

If I have to guess, my thought would be that scar and root damage was caused by the construction of the adjacent building. But without better information, I'm pulling smoke out my a$$.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I wouldn't give a strong opinion based on a single photo like that. The angle where the photo was taken can change perspective.

If I have to guess, my thought would be that scar and root damage was caused by the construction of the adjacent building. But without better information, I'm pulling smoke out my a$$.
Same here! Lol

Back