Wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deevo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was driving down a street today, and saw a crew from Green/yellow....starts with a D on the side of the road getting ready take TD an old Sugar Maple. Instead of using a throw bag/ line to put a pull line in the tree, they had about 6-7 jamieson poles together and were walking it up to the tree to put the line in! I have never seen that before, could of easily been done with a throw bag/line (was low enough even without the bigshot) Took them a while after they fumbled around and got it in. Mean while the bucket truck was parked right beside the tree. They flopped it over, how inefficient was that? I could of had our bucket set up and tree down faster then they did it their way monekying around! Just thought I would share..... gave me something to laugh at! Is this common practise for them? Whoever trained them to do that sure is on something funny! I didn't have my camera with me or for sure would of snapped a picture! Thought what next are they going to take the tree down with a bow saw?

Last edited:
The Green/yellow folks down your way sure do have a real nice inventory of equipment.
Their Bandit chipper on tracks is way cool, imo
They gotta be putting the hurt on the Bartlett boys in Bracebridge.

The Green/yellow folks down your way sure do have a real nice inventory of equipment.
Their Bandit chipper on tracks is way cool, imo
They gotta be putting the hurt on the Bartlett boys in Bracebridge.

I know that's why I was scratching my head over what I saw! I don't have that many jamieson poles between the 2 of my trucks! I had an interesting job in the afternoon will post pics tomorrow! Worked well into the night tonight

Couple years ago, we had just finishes a pretty big, back yard renovation. Took out over 100 scrub trees and pruned the good one, graded the lot and had my buddy come in and spray wild flower and oats with the hydro seeder. We are all done, HO comes out and points to a little stub that was from a previous bad prune job, this tree was over the property line so I didn't bother, but she wanted it gone, so it "looked nice". Not wanting to mess up the hydro seed, my guy puts 3 poles together with a pruning saw. He goes down with this big rubber band of poles and try's to cut this stub, well the poles are all wiggly and he cant keep the pressure against the wood. He starts this really obscene hip thrust action that looks like he is humping the poles, he gets it a going and breaks a sweat, then after a bit , he is losing his stamina and starts grunting and making faces, along with the hip thrust action. Finally he gets it off, hes about worn out. Enter the HO, HO is this really ugly, old women who wears tons of make up, she comes down laughing and ask's for Joe's number, he looks at her with a blank? "why ya want my number mam?" she says "After that show, I think you will do just fine in the sac" Joe looks at her in fear. Then she says "That shat turned me on" We all lost it, I have never laughed so hard in my life. The look on Joe's face, priceless!

Anyways, I couldn't imagine trying to handle 7 poles, or even holding them in position to do anything!

Anything over two poles sucks but if I need that reach I use my Silky Hyoooochie or for even further reach I modified some Marshaltown bull float poles to accept a saw head for 30' of reach, and after that rope and saddle. I can't even imagine a 7 section wet noodle that is just plain stupid. I have used a poles to poke a line over a limb before but not 7.

If they were all 8' poles then I'm calling BS. I've got a whole stack of 8' poles, and we tried stringing a few together for fun, couldn't do better than 4. Honestly, 3 is wet spaghetti. 5 is impossible, so no way you'd get 7, that's 56'.

It's easy to have a laugh at any crew no matter how big or small time they are... but bigger crews seem to have a harder time of it because people are so eager to point the finger. I'm glad there isn't a video camera pointed at me 24/7 because when you dont have that bit of gear for whatever reason, you sure do some silly stuff. You can sit around telling stories of things you've done with other guys until there's tears streaming down your eyes and your sides hurt, but so long as you got her done then you did the right thing. Only slackers make excuses for why they couldnt do the job.

Shaun

If they were all 8' poles then I'm calling BS. I've got a whole stack of 8' poles, and we tried stringing a few together for fun, couldn't do better than 4. Honestly, 3 is wet spaghetti. 5 is impossible, so no way you'd get 7, that's 56'.

It's easy to have a laugh at any crew no matter how big or small time they are... but bigger crews seem to have a harder time of it because people are so eager to point the finger. I'm glad there isn't a video camera pointed at me 24/7 because when you dont have that bit of gear for whatever reason, you sure do some silly stuff. You can sit around telling stories of things you've done with other guys until there's tears streaming down your eyes and your sides hurt, but so long as you got her done then you did the right thing. Only slackers make excuses for why they couldnt do the job.

Shaun

They have that at the TCIA competitions. " The pole saw competions are now starting over by the spruce grove, STACKERS, take yer mark!" The guy who won last time had 14 sections.

I was driving down a street today, and saw a crew from Green/yellow....starts with a D on the side of the road getting ready take TD an old Sugar Maple. Instead of using a throw bag/ line to put a pull line in the tree, they had about 6-7 jamieson poles together and were walking it up to the tree to put the line in! I have never seen that before, could of easily been done with a throw bag/line (was low enough even without the bigshot) Took them a while after they fumbled around and got it in. Mean while the bucket truck was parked right beside the tree. They flopped it over, how inefficient was that? I could of had our bucket set up and tree down faster then they did it their way monekying around! Just thought I would share..... gave me something to laugh at! Is this common practise for them? Whoever trained them to do that sure is on something funny! I didn't have my camera with me or for sure would of snapped a picture! Thought what next are they going to take the tree down with a bow saw?

A couple of things to consider:

1 Was there an uninsulated power line behind the tree where if they missed, the throw line would go over the powerline?

2 They use company equipment and might not be supplied throw lines for that very reason.

Was it a row crew or residential?

P.S. Big ups big green for training the guys right:dizzy:

Just a bunch of tired boys getting turned on and turned out to the propoganda of an egomanical certified arborist. Some you give a blue thing, tell em its white and now its white. saw a crew shoveling leaf debris off the road and into the chipper the other day.

1 Was there an uninsulated power line behind the tree where if they missed, the throw line would go over the powerline?

2 They use company equipment and might not be supplied throw lines for that very reason.

Yes, stacking all those poles could be an act of desparation due to negliable circumstance. Aspy guys will usually throw a ball, you can walk down the lines and still see all the yellow string hanging all over the place. They left some in my tree, the ball is up there to. I don't blame em one dam bit. They cut it high so only the stupid people will try to get it.

Are you sure they were jamesons and not a seven section hastings hotstick. I've burned more than a few of those out. We'd actually trim with those things, or take off the blade, mount the hook, and place a johnny ball tied off to the rope. Great for putting ropes just were you want them in dense trees.

Hastings-Hot-Sticks-PW.jpg

Shaun

No 4' poles. and no Bs I am not AA

Are you sure they were jamesons and not a seven section hastings hotstick. I've burned more than a few of those out. We'd actually trim with those things, or take off the blade, mount the hook, and place a johnny ball tied off to the rope. Great for putting ropes just were you want them in dense trees.

They are not that strong . I don't think an untrained person should touch that thing.

No 4' poles. and no Bs I am not AA

Are those four footers for the midget tree workers? Still, I don't see the point. I call em rattle clackers cause they rattle and clack when you use em. Even the longer sections. Should be called rattle clacker faller aparter.

Shaun

Shaun no BS buddy I am not a bs'er. i tell it as I see it. I had another guy with me and he did the are you seeing this? as well!That is why I posted this because it blew me away from what I saw! It was a fairly big tree they pulled over. Like I said I could of had it down with the bucket truck (that they had parked beside it) faster then all the tinkering they did!

Mike, no there were no conductors around anywhere, I know a few that work for them (weren't there at that site) they do have throw lines on their trucks. Was residential. Really young guys, crew leader looked a bit green as well. They have a high turn over rate.

I would love to get my hands on a hot stick. When I worked for big O we allways had one, great for crotching lines.I think they had 40 foot reach

Are those four footers for the midget tree workers? Still, I don't see the point. I call em rattle clackers cause they rattle and clack when you use em. Even the longer sections. Should be called rattle clacker faller aparter.

Yeah, Dan me either, that is why I posted it. Really strange seeing that! 4' sections fit better in bucket trucks around here, not many have 8'ers unless you keep em in another truck that will accomodate them. Funny stuff though. You probably would of went over and banged there heads together if you saw the show!

Latest posts

Back