Wrapping up long rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickytree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wondering how you do up your rope. Post any picks if you can. I am curious if wrapping up 300 feet plus is different then what I do which is coils around my neck to crotch area then pass through the middle then some half hitches to cinch it up. Sorry I don't have any pics

I use a fish tote myself. They hold about 600' 5/8. I've got two(totes) in the bottom of the i-pack box behind the cab.

you really wrap your rope around your neck? that is treetarded. honestly.

hang like half a length of rope in your off hand and then run your strong hand out from your chest as far as you can reach away from your armpit straight out and return your strong hand to your weak hand and lay that coil of rope into your hand and repeat. this should leave you a nice set of coils once the rope is run out. and not around your neck....... for a rope that long mr beranek recommends that you soft lock about every hundo feet or so and repeat coiling if its a climbing line. that way you only use what you need and do not have to rewrap your rope every time it is out.

or you can get a rope bag and not have to deal with it.

i've heard of some silly **** in this game and that is definitely one of them. lol

hang like half a length of rope in your off hand and then run your strong hand out from your chest as far as you can reach away from your armpit straight out and return your strong hand to your weak hand and lay that coil of rope into your hand and repeat. this should leave you a nice set of coils once the rope is run out. and not around your neck....... for a rope that long mr beranek recommends that you soft lock about every hundo feet or so and repeat coiling if its a climbing line. that way you only use what you need and do not have to rewrap your rope every time it is out.

Just about as TReeTarded as You stealing the name of a Dead Rap Star!!Right.. You ain't stink in my books and don't care about how many crane jobs you've done. Try taking a big tree down with a small crane rather than big trees with a bigger crane. You must have a your own Zipcode for that retarded ego of yours. Genius!!

Three things that will help you out......

Rope Bag.

Rope Bag.

Rope Bag.

I used to coil. Takes time and it does not play out well. In two words, "it sucks".

You are best to get the soft bags. They are better than the hard bottom, or the ones that have the coil spring on the sides. The nice thing with the soft bags is that they conform to any shape when you have to throw them in the truck or underbody box.

I have used rope bags on rope lenghts up to 1200 feet. (actually we used hockey bags) as the rope was sooooooo long.

The rope boss bags from Sherrill are nice, but don't pack as nice. However, on my 600' ropes, I do like their "back pack" rope boss bags. I bought them when they had a sale.

The cheap bags from Baileys are alright, but the stitching that runs around the draw string comes apart easily. Best to have the wife run a couple of extra stitches around them with the sewing machine.

I've found a local (Ontario) supplier of equipment. They have a good selection of arborist equipment at a decent price. Give me a PM if you want their name and number. I've recently started purchasing my bags from them.

Rope Bag.

Rope Bag.

Rope Bag.

I used to coil. Takes time and it does not play out well. In two words, "it sucks".

You are best to get the soft bags. They are better than the hard bottom, or the ones that have the coil spring on the sides. The nice thing with the soft bags is that they conform to any shape when you have to throw them in the truck or underbody box.

I have used rope bags on rope lenghts up to 1200 feet. (actually we used hockey bags) as the rope was sooooooo long.

The rope boss bags from Sherrill are nice, but don't pack as nice. However, on my 600' ropes, I do like their "back pack" rope boss bags. I bought them when they had a sale.

The cheap bags from Baileys are alright, but the stitching that runs around the draw string comes apart easily. Best to have the wife run a couple of extra stitches around them with the sewing machine.

I've found a local (Ontario) supplier of equipment. They have a good selection of arborist equipment at a decent price. Give me a PM if you want their name and number. I've recently started purchasing my bags from them.

Right on!!

or you can get a rope bag and not have to deal with it.

i've heard of some silly **** in this game and that is definitely one of them. lol

LOL, you want the guy to loop 300 feet of large diameter rope around one arm at full extension? Do you have arms and shoulders made of steel? Or is he supposed to drp the coils on the ground?

Last edited:
LOL, you want the guy to loop 300 feet of large diameter rope around one arm at full extension? Do you have arms and shoulders made of steel? Or is he supposed to drp the coils on the ground?

This method would probably work for Oldirty as his "pipes" are the size of my waist. :laugh:

Nice!! Lets see a video of say some 1". Hell I'll even go 3/4! but 300 feet..I'll bet my 395 xp you can't. That''s right cuz no one can.

Rope Bag.

Rope Bag.

Rope Bag.

The one I mentioned to you! Yeah they are good to deal with

Latest posts

Back