XL-12 vs Super XL-12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattinky

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Not that anyone cares, but...........I've often wondered why Homelite made both the XL-12 and the Super XL-12? the Super is only 3.8cc larger, I have both and I can't tell any difference when running the two side by side. Was it some kind of a marketing ploy? Looks like they would have made the Super a bit bigger. Just curious????????

Not that anyone cares, but...........I've often wondered why Homelite made both the XL-12 and the Super XL-12? the Super is only 3.8cc larger, I have both and I can't tell any difference when running the two side by side. Was it some kind of a marketing ploy? Looks like they would have made the Super a bit bigger. Just curious????????

Hi mattinky; I can`t answer your question but it just so happens that I am working on a bunch of these very saws for the first time that I picked up on Saturday from a local repair shop. The owner was getting tired of having them around and just about wanted them gonnnn!. Picked the bunch up nearly free and started work on the best looking one first. It needed a carb kit,filter and pull cord. Works a-1 but seems loud for having a good looking muffler. Can possibly make 5-6 running saws from the lot and have spare parts as well. Don`t know much about the homies but always willing to learn. Pioneerguy600

Last edited:

yep! pretty much a marketing ploy on Homelite's part.
if you have ever looked up parts for one you'll understand:D

Hi mattinky; I can`t answer your question but it just so happens that I am working on a bunch of these very saws for the first time that I picked up on Saturday from a local repair shop. The owner was getting tired of having them around and just about wanted them gonnnn!. Picked the bunch up nearly free and started work on the best looking one first. It needed a carb kit,filter and pull cord. Works a-1 but seems loud for having a good looking muffler. Can possibly make 5-6 running saws from the lot and have spare parts as well. Don`t know much about the homies but always willing to learn. Pioneerguy600

Not for sure but I think the super was more like an upgrade after the first xl 12. I still remember how light that blue xl was in comparison to the big beast Homelight my Dad had. I bought 1 just like it for my first saw and later had a super. I thought the Super felt stronger but never run them side by side.

I thought the super xl-12 had an auto oiler. In other words, it was pretty much the same as XLAO, where AOs stand for auto oiler.

pioneer you got blessed with that find i guarantee that them XL 12 are very tough yes they can be loud but they are tough but finding parts can be a little bit tricky you can always ask me or kyle with edgeandengine we seem to work together alot referring people and such just like i refer folks to them that need 360 carb boots cause i surely dont have any

just sent one his way the other day for that very part

but i happen to have some xl 12 items here if you need any just get me a list and if you need a ipl just ask me i will send you one just need the ut # off the saws

matt i think this thread is starting out fairly good and hope it stays that way

Last edited:
I thought the super xl-12 had an auto oiler. In other words, it was pretty much the same as XLAO, where AOs stand for auto oiler.

I think the old blue Super's had a manual oiler but I'm not sure, I've got an old blue Super but I'm too lazy tonight to go check it LOL

Not for sure but I think the super was more like an upgrade after the first xl 12. I still remember how light that blue xl was in comparison to the big beast Homelight my Dad had. I bought 1 just like it for my first saw and later had a super. I thought the Super felt stronger but never run them side by side.

yea it was a upgrade they do have two old ipls of them ones just for the super and the other regular

in note i am currently working on putting every homelite model from the 50s to the 80s on cd and placing it on our store as a complete CD instead of people getting just one model they get the whole thing this is something i probily will start on later down the road cause it does take time to put these together but it can help them folks that own these older Homelites to know what part numbers they need etc.

but i have the equipment and software to do this so it just going to take a while

Last edited:
yea it was a upgrade they do have two old ipls of them ones just for the super and the other regular

in note i am currently working on putting every homelite model from the 50s to the 80s on cd and placing it on our store as a complete CD instead of people getting just one model they get the whole thing this is something i probily will start on later down the road cause it does take time to put these together but it can help them folks that own these older Homelites to know what part numbers they need etc.

but i have the equipment and software to do this so it just going to take a while

Wow, That sounds great Calvin! Let us know when you get them ready, I'll take one for sure.

matt i won something on ebay and guess what it was it was actually a Tecumseh parts master parts catalog used of course but now i can look up parts without using microfiche

plus i can take them pages and make pdf files in them and put them on a CD for my own use

Xl-12 VS SXL/SXL-12

Actually the two saws are quite different.

Aside from the larger displacement, the Super has the following:

4 reed pyramid vs single reed on the XL-12

ball bearing on the clutch side vs small needle bearing on the XL-12

much larger oil tank & a auto oiler.

Most parts are interchangeable, with the exception of the crank & drive case.

I believe it is possible to put the 4 reed intake on an XL-12 by swapping the SXL rear handle & reed assy.

Also the piston & cyl will also interchange between them.

I ran my SXL the other day for the first time in a long while. Great saws, but they sure do seem slow after you are used to running a more modern saw.

I have several of the ol beasts, I do have a common issue with each though, they vapor lock to beat the band!!! We are at 4500'. They are ok till it gets warm outside,50 or so, then they start having trouble. Kinda neat ol saws, my dad (rip) ran them for many a year. One thing about the noise, it does not seem loud at all,........ after running the mac 2-10 for a while.

I have several of the ol beasts, I do have a common issue with each though, they vapor lock to beat the band!!! We are at 4500'. They are ok till it gets warm outside,50 or so, then they start having trouble. Kinda neat ol saws, my dad (rip) ran them for many a year. One thing about the noise, it does not seem loud at all,........ after running the mac 2-10 for a while.

Yes, I have the same problem.

I have found that if you do the following, that they are OK, although I am at about 400' & I am sure that at your elevation, it is a whole different ball game.

Keep the saw clean on the inside (airflow)
93 octane fuel: FRESH
richen it up a bit on the H side
dont dog it (run a sharp chain)
let it cool every so often

"i am currently working on putting every homelite model from the 50s to the 80s on cd " That would be on my wish list. I am starting to collect the ipls of all saws. You never know lol.

Yes, I have the same problem.

I have found that if you do the following, that they are OK, although I am at about 400' & I am sure that at your elevation, it is a whole different ball game.

Keep the saw clean on the inside (airflow)
93 octane fuel: FRESH
richen it up a bit on the H side
dont dog it (run a sharp chain)
let it cool every so often

Let it cool?? It decides when it is break time!! LOL I park it in the snow and that helps, well one thing about the ol girls, they know when were a working too hard and need a cold one eh? It is different with my 660, she is not properly trained on the break time yet.

Xl-12 VS SXL/SXL-12

Actually the two saws are quite different.

Aside from the larger displacement, the Super has the following:

4 reed pyramid vs single reed on the XL-12

ball bearing on the clutch side vs small needle bearing on the XL-12

much larger oil tank & a auto oiler.

Most parts are interchangeable, with the exception of the crank & drive case.

I believe it is possible to put the 4 reed intake on an XL-12 by swapping the SXL rear handle & reed assy.

Also the piston & cyl will also interchange between them.

I ran my SXL the other day for the first time in a long while. Great saws, but they sure do seem slow after you are used to running a more modern saw.

Thanks for the info Mike; I was telling mattinky earlier that I have started to fix up a bunch of the XL and SXL saws and was about to ask if any of the parts would interchange. I could just try,trial and error but this will make it easier if it comes to parts swapping. Pioneerguy600

pioneer you got blessed with that find i guarantee that them XL 12 are very tough yes they can be loud but they are tough but finding parts can be a little bit tricky you can always ask me or kyle with edgeandengine we seem to work together alot referring people and such just like i refer folks to them that need 360 carb boots cause i surely dont have any

just sent one his way the other day for that very part

but i happen to have some xl 12 items here if you need any just get me a list and if you need a ipl just ask me i will send you one just need the ut # off the saws

matt i think this thread is starting out fairly good and hope it stays that way

Thanks Calvin, I will see what I have as each one comes apart and gets checked out,out of the ten of them should get 5-6 runners. I have gotten parts requests from all over from AS members looking for stuff,even Europe. Never knew these saws were that popular. Pioneerguy600

Thanks Calvin, I will see what I have as each one comes apart and gets checked out,out of the ten of them should get 5-6 runners. I have gotten parts requests from all over from AS members looking for stuff,even Europe. Never knew these saws were that popular. Pioneerguy600

I still love mine. There is just something "right" about it, and it always starts.

Mark

Back