xp or xpg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all! Long time reader first time poster. I am going to get a Husky 346 from my dealer. I am considering spending the extra $ and go with the heated handles. Can anyone with experience with the g-series give me their opinion on if they work very well? I will only be operating at the coldest 10-15 degrees F. Thought a little extra heat on the hands might be nice.
Thanks!

Sorry, I thought I was in the chainsaw forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Believe half what you read and laugh at the other half.
I've never had an XPG and temps in Ohio are probably close to the same. I would spend the extra money on woods porting and forget the heat. When I'm out gathering the actual time with saw in hand is relatively small so I don't see the benefit.

If it's only a little money (like $20-30) sure, go for it. I'm kinda with wkpoor on this one though. I don't spend as much time on the saws as most here, but I know that when it does get really cold, it's not the saw that gets to my hands. It's the logs. In fact, between the wood, my tailgate, my axe, my "box of goodies" with files and wedges...my saw is the warmest thing I touch if it's been idling for awhile.

Until it's time for a pee break:yoyo:

If you're running the saw a LOT, the tension in your hands restricts blood flow, and they get cold faster than they normally would.

If you have LOTS of bucking to do in really cold weather, it may be worth the extra weight and the $$$.

Otherwise, save the $$$ and the weight, and just remember to buck a few, and then toss a few rounds to break up the routine when it's really cold to get the blood moving from major muscle groups into the extremities.

Wristovers are another trick most miss.;)

Best of luck on the new 346!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

i had the heated handles on my saw, and its great, i think most mine now will have heated handles not just to keep my hands warm in the cold damp UK winters but also to help with my circulation, as with certain machines (like my clearing saw) im aware my fingers are starting to go numb after a while, the heated handles help to prevent white finger,

I have also muffler modded mine myself and its a real beast of a saw,

Back