Yaaa-hoooo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Got home tonight, and the first thing I noticed was a bunch of tractor tracks in the driveway. Further investigation noted that there is a big green combine sitting down by the fenceline, and that all those soybeans that have been holding up my woodcutting have disappeared.

WI/MN/IA/UP GTG is tomorrow, so no cutting (at home anyhow) tomorrow, but I'll sure be trying to get some trees dropped and out in the open on Sunday.

Part of me says to wait till the ground's frozen, but the rest of me wants a big woodpile before I have to wade through snow to do it. The crazed chainsaw nut part of me is winning this battle. I can skid most of the way on a grass waterway, so that should minimize the dirt buildup as well.

Rest assured that when I get out there, you will be seeing pics galore and maybe a skidding video or two.

Talked to my buddy/renter tonight, he stopped to pick up the combine, my fields were the last of his beans. Corn head goes on the combine tomorrow.

We've been as wet as I can remember this fall, field work is far behind usual. It isn't all bad, it's been dry to borderline drought for the last 5 years or so, so all that water will help recharge the groundwater and the lakes.

Deer season starts next Saturday, gonna be a challenge to find them in thousands of acres of corn. I haven't even bought a small game/pheasant stamp yet, hope there are some nice days in December for that.

Maybe this year will be a December that snow doesn't show up till Christmas time. I'm in no rush for the white stuff either.

I was told the other week the St. Croix is back up again from all the rain. Local ponds could still use some more, but any little will help.

Take some pics like the Spring GTG had-for those that can't make it.

Will do. Camera bag is loaded with 2 spare battery packs, and a bunch of memory cards. I made the mistake once of running out of batteries when I went to see Tom Knapp at our local gun club. Talk about P.O.'d...I am now anal about carrying spares.

"My" lake (actually it's 1/4 mile down the road from me) is about 3-4 feet below normal yet, but it is also a spring fed lake that normally cycles up and down over a 30 year period.

Edit: I see you've got a couple Echos - there may very well be a vid of my monster CS 280E top handle tearin up the wood, all 27 1/2 cc's of it! :D

Latest posts

Back