YACT yet another compression test thread. MS290, 105psi? Newish Poulan, 105psi?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I snagged a free MS290 that the guy kept in the back of his work van. Case beat to hell and back from getting knocked around but apparently low hours. Rear handle is cracked and epoxy repaired, needs replaced. Has factory bar that doesn't show a ton of use. The guy retired, hadn't run it in years, was moving to old folks home and giving away a bunch of his junk.

So. I get it home, put in fresh gas, dicker with some fuel dumped in the carb, get it running great with no carb kit or anything needed. Cuts fine. Figure before I buy a new rear handle and go through the BS to replace it, do a compression test 105psi cold. Uh oh. Test a Poulan I have that I bought new and have babied, maybe 2 hours on it max. 105psi. uh not good. Use my compressor set to 125 psi to test the compression gauge it reads 125psi.

Is there anything I'm missing here? being that it already needs a new rear handle and is overall knocked around I'm hesitant to take the time to do a rebuild on the MS290. I don't know wtf the deal is with the poulan, it's tuned fantastic and has only has 50:1 stihl oil mix in it.

Cylinder looks smooth as can be

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
Without it in front of me I can't tell where the shrader looking valve is. Also, if you have to use any of the adapters that will add volume and falsify the reading. Compression testers as a whole are not a great tool to solely diagnose chainsaw health. This is a perfect example. If it truly had 105 psi it wouldn't run.

Without it in front of me I can't tell where the shrader looking valve is. Also, if you have to use any of the adapters that will add volume and falsify the reading. Compression testers as a whole are not a great tool to solely diagnose chainsaw health. This is a perfect example. If it truly had 105 psi it wouldn't run.
The valve is directly next to the gauge. Also...... I know they're not great either, but the straight metal tube (no rubber hose) gives like 95-100psi

Does sound like a tester issue, but i will say that my new tester with only 1" of hose only shows 115psi on a freshly rebuilt 42cc poulan pro...its just all they blow. But the 290 is expect 140ish. Are you holding the throttle open and the choke is off?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Here's your problem
If so, why does it read accurately when tested with my air compressor (the compressor has two quality, matching gauges dead at 125psi with a good 25’ hose). Also, what can I do to fix it? If there’s some underlying issue with the 290 I don’t want to spent money and a lot of time swapping the rear handle

Not necessary
Its not a dramatic difference but there is a difference, here is no choke no throttle vs no choke idle. With no Schrader in the fitting its struggling to build pressure as it is
f6e4761082399e51bf3f5a2588c8dff2.jpg
c52cfeae46eebfef0332980c2b04fec5.jpg

Meh, that little difference could be a lot of things.
I tried to limit variables, first test was the no choke full throttle so there was no chance of any lube pulled in by more pulls or choking bumping up the number. Repeated the 1st test after the 2nd and got 120/121.

There is no reason not to expect that more air flow won't result in a higher static compression. The same way a 4 stroke will turn over a bit easier at idle vs full throttle

Lol you're trying to justify an unnecessary step with 2 1/2psi. Your 70:1 vs my 40:1 would cause a bigger difference than that man. Maybe you farted while pulling one of them over. The 2° difference in ambient between the two test could cause it.

Lol you're trying to justify an unnecessary step with 2 1/2psi. Your 70:1 vs my 40:1 would cause a bigger difference than that man. Maybe you farted while pulling one of them over. The 2° difference in ambient between the two test could cause it.
Multiple tests back to back? Doubt it. Im running 32:1 in this turd...

Show me a manufactures compression testing guideline that doesn't say to ensure the choke is off and the throttle is open...

Also, thats 6psi.

Back