Yarding Down the Hill With a Madill (rhymes,eh?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clear cut and shovel log the whole entire unit. Splat. Call for trucks.

Keep the pics comming. Nice shots.

Thankyou. Low stumps in addition to the clear cut and it would roll down to the road. We like the leave areas along the little drainages. Those make for nice walking in and out. The trucks were not making it up to the landing on their own. Too much rain on a steep grade.

+1...Way too nice a stand just to pick at. I know its not your policy slowp. Whats the age of the stand and volume - looks like second growth. Whats the % removal. Tough way to make a buck. Like Bushler said.....clear cut and go!:greenchainsaw:

Slope, is that an Eagle carrige?
If so i have hade experiences with them here on the crappy coast. She was an old asses beat up bugger. Jumpers+ eather to get her going 9n the morning. Well my co-workers used eather. the few times i got the 6-71 and the eagle running i used no eather and they popped just fine!
But usually i was all ready sweating my ass off trompeling that nasty hard wood brush pulling some sky line...

Ya i fell it and choked it, me and my Chicano friend Quan HAHA. Queee!?!

It is a little hard to look at these photos (not you Slowp, the pics are great quality)....really nice timber left everywhere that is hell for the loggers. Three loads a day??????? That looks about right to what they are doing. The stand is too damn thick in my opinion to send a crew in. They should take more volume or just leave the stuff alone, but if they want to jack with it... no wonder they want to scream!!! That's a tight fit with all the rigging, going down hill, trying not to scar trees. Then you definetly end up looking down a hallway when it's done (the cooridors)!!!! Some times I'll ask the hook or the logging boss to renig on settings for cutting...But the state hates to fly over a wagon wheel that REALLY stands out when you just cut corridors!!! I can't Imagine what the Forest Service wants these days :dizzy: Please tell me you'll at least cream the hallways. The guys laying out my pieces always do, and I mark the rest with the saw. It's crazy how much faith the DNR puts into buncher operators and hand fallers compared to what the Forest Service does. That stand just looks a touch too thick to me, especially in your neck of the woods. That stand is probably only 60-75 years old.

Last edited:
It is either thin or no logging. They did very well on the right of way, and the uphill. The logging and mill take the downhill into consideration with their bids.
Yup, it is not good, but you/I have to work with what we get. Believe it or not, the cutters tell me they like doing thinnings because it takes more thinking and skill. The guys who cut this were excellent cutters and didn't get much hung up or scarred--really good crew. :clap: They just chewed through it. The hand falling looks better than the processor work.

Let me see, I think the stand is around 80 years or more in age. It is a natural stand, was not planted but had a fire rip through at some time. The mill likes the wood because it is slower growing and has tighter rings than most second growth. This was a pretty heavy cut compared to some of the more recent thinnings.

Corridors always look wider after they are cut. I do the down hill ones at about 14 feet wide. Then after the cut trees are taken out that are spaced off the leave trees that I marked, the corridors look wider. This being a natural stand, there were some openings already there too. To most people, it won't look logged as they drive by.

The carriage is either an Eagle or an Acme. I thought the latter. It is very reliable. This company is not a gyppo outfit. They have other yarders and work from here to the coast. They have some excellent people working for them and are able to keep them on. I was amazed that they just went ahead and logged this downhill section--to me it wasn't safe enough looking with not much of a runout at the bottom. I was thinking we'd be throwing it out.

I'm thinking that in the short future, (can't think long when politics are involved) there won't be anymore downhill. It'll go for helicopter. The last sale sold here was that way, I didn't think it would sell, and one bidder got it.
The govt. makes no extra money with helicopter sales due to the low bids because of high logging costs. The helicopter company brings in their own people.

Well, that's the bigger picture. Nope, I don't like downhilling either but it is what we have to work with.

What really irks me is the regs. that restrict good logging/silvaculture practice adds to our carbon foot print, escalates the cost of operation, burns more fuel, adds increased risk of personnel injury, and doesn't work.

Same with commercial fishing regs. Run from Oregon down to NorCal, fish a week, then run 400 miles north to fish for a week...

Helicopter logging is the most expensive waste of timber imaginable. Ask them what their cost/bushel is sometime. Last I remember a crane cost about $3K/hour to fly.

In the sixties we learned how to log effectively with big machines, and those units we logged were replanted and have had their first commerial thinning. Beautiful reprod.

The engineered roads we built that cost so much were torn up. Fire burns rampant in the roadless areas. And smoke from forest fires is the leading cause of carbon dioxide, (global warming).

Its absurd, and there's no excuse for it. Self serving agenda driven knott heads are the bane of our existence.

And with that happy thought, I'm off to whack some nice hemlocks...

It is either thin or no logging. They did very well on the right of way, and the uphill. The logging and mill take the downhill into consideration with their bids.
Yup, it is not good, but you/I have to work with what we get. Believe it or not, the cutters tell me they like doing thinnings because it takes more thinking and skill. The guys who cut this were excellent cutters and didn't get much hung up or scarred--really good crew. :clap: They just chewed through it. The hand falling looks better than the processor work.

Let me see, I think the stand is around 80 years or more in age. It is a natural stand, was not planted but had a fire rip through at some time. The mill likes the wood because it is slower growing and has tighter rings than most second growth. This was a pretty heavy cut compared to some of the more recent thinnings.

Corridors always look wider after they are cut. I do the down hill ones at about 14 feet wide. Then after the cut trees are taken out that are spaced off the leave trees that I marked, the corridors look wider. This being a natural stand, there were some openings already there too. To most people, it won't look logged as they drive by.

The carriage is either an Eagle or an Acme. I thought the latter. It is very reliable. This company is not a gyppo outfit. They have other yarders and work from here to the coast. They have some excellent people working for them and are able to keep them on. I was amazed that they just went ahead and logged this downhill section--to me it wasn't safe enough looking with not much of a runout at the bottom. I was thinking we'd be throwing it out.

I'm thinking that in the short future, (can't think long when politics are involved) there won't be anymore downhill. It'll go for helicopter. The last sale sold here was that way, I didn't think it would sell, and one bidder got it.
The govt. makes no extra money with helicopter sales due to the low bids because of high logging costs. The helicopter company brings in their own people.

Well, that's the bigger picture. Nope, I don't like downhilling either but it is what we have to work with.

You know Slowp, I agree with you, I just thought that stand was a little thick, especially after hearing the three loads a day bit, but that is what is there to work with. I like to cut partials, I really do. Like you said, it takes skill to lay out timber in tight quarters like that (especially tree lengths coming out). I'm not taking it as a dive at me personally, but I have heard that crap before, and had show the woods boss to re-neg his wording...I was told that I was probably just a clear "cutter" when I first started doing crowns for the DNR, before I had even fired up my saw. He had no idea that I cut plenty of partials, and would like to be considered a "faller", not a cutter ( I really don't care, just what a few guys I know joke about). His "cutters" all got canned, and that piece sat there for months. We came in and did a great job, and he even was nice to give us some props (he's kinda quiet like that). The riggin' crew spent more time bucking logs across corridors than they did on the hook before we got there. So I guess I'm trying to say is, I know the gig your on fairly well, just at the state level, not federal. There is a lot to selective crown work on highlead, but then you have to look at it from Bushler and my Dad's generation and just kind of deal with it. I really see their point. You live in some of the best timber CROP ground in the world. For Doug Fir, it's probably top 3 anyway.

Actually, I am of that generation also. It is frustrating on this end. I pointed out to the guy I worked with yesterday that only one culvert would have been needed, then the helicopter ground could have been at least downhill yarded or better if roads were put in. He mumbled about being glad he was retiring in a couple of years cuz stuff like that was driving him crazy. The other helicopter units are actually on good flat skidder ground but that too would require :bang: :eek: :eek: replacing 2 or 3 culverts on a rocked road. Might kill some fish while installing the pipes! It is a mad and embarrassing (on this end) world in the woods.

SlowP, my anger over the Fed mismangament of our fisheries and timberlands is not directed toward you personally. In fact, the opposite. From your posts I have a good idea that you would prefer to do it right if given the chance.

Helicopter logging skidder ground. Now that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard regarding logging practive.

Lets thin some 15 year old reprod with a D-9. Or should we use a copter for that too?

Sort of related, but what is the 'official' definition of old growth? I see it used in many contexts. Does it relate to age, size, ???

I think the GreenPeople vary its usage, (term, old grwth) to fit their particular agenda.

For example, they (GreenPeople) say that there's very little old growth left in the Pac Northwest. And they're right, most of the true old growth burnt years ago, leaving only small pockets of true old growth.

Other times, they call a bastard growth, old growth.

Other times, they call a big second growth, old growth.

SlowP, my anger over the Fed mismangament of our fisheries and timberlands is not directed toward you personally. In fact, the opposite. From your posts I have a good idea that you would prefer to do it right if given the chance.

Helicopter logging skidder ground. Now that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard regarding logging practive.

Lets thin some 15 year old reprod with a D-9. Or should we use a copter for that too?

Sort of related, but what is the 'official' definition of old growth? I see it used in many contexts. Does it relate to age, size, ???

I think the GreenPeople vary its usage, (term, old grwth) to fit their particular agenda.

For example, they (GreenPeople) say that there's very little old growth left in the Pac Northwest. And they're right, most of the true old growth burnt years ago, leaving only small pockets of true old growth.

Other times, they call a bastard growth, old growth.

Other times, they call a big second growth, old growth.

Ya, I cut some darn nice bastard growth two weeks ago, wish I could have got some pics. Big, heavy bark and the red circle pretty much gone. Four footers. Old growth to many.

I don't know what is considered Old Growth anymore. It kept getting younger and then smaller and the latest fad is to declare a diameter cap. 20 inches is the figure thrown around here as a limit. That hasn't been done yet. It'll drive you berserk to think about it too much! Now that is only in this area, other forests seem to be able to put out more volume and do it quicker. And some not at all.

True old growth to me is mostly on the coast where a tree might be 450 - 1000 years old......thats old growth. The fire return cycle around my area is approx 150-225 years (stand replacing event), more in the wet belt cedar areas. Get into the Lodgepole pine areas up in the Chilcolton (Williams Lake - Quesnel) and old growth is probably around 150 years or less.

Others would say old growth is pre-white man.....

RPM, that's what I thought to. As for doug. fir it would be somehwere around 450 years +, with bastard growth in the 250-450 year bracket, and second growth less than 250 years.

But what amuses me is that when speaking of inventory, the GreenPeople use one definition, and when they want to regulate cutting they use another.

GreenPeople wouldn't try to deceive people would they?

The DNR greenies wasted a lot of wood east of where I'm working this year. They cut all the really nice, growing well 18- 28" timber that has three long logs in it, and left the 28-42" trees that have four longs and around 3000+ plus feet in them. Now, they are beautiful trees to leave and grow, but they all seem to blow over in all the areas I have seen this done. You end up with a clearcut that cannot be salvaged, because they plant around them and use that as the reason for not salvaging it, when they could have done the work prior. IRRITATING!!! That's all of the taxpayer's logs laying there to rot. I found the spot during morel season where they had just planted, and the timber had been on the ground since December, not long at all. In fact, all the needles were green on the blowdown. I found a really nice american made 4 lbs. Axe head (that I'm using this year) from a spot in a road that a big planting crew tried to buck a log out to get by with trucks. Imagine a 50 inch Doug fir that is 200 feet tall and is blown up a fairly steep hill. Now, above the rootwad, there is a road 80 feet up, where the tree goes across it is still around 32" in diameter or more. Try bucking that wound up son of a ##### with what ever they had and see if you don't get hurt. The top of that log was probably 25 feet over from where it seperated at the buck, with a major piece of wood ripped out. I laughed when I saw it, and found that axe head. I wonder what the heck happened, I didn't see any evidence of a big splatter.

Burvol, that's what I'm talking about! Perfect example of stupid silva culture. Basically its dumb to log through reprod. Why would they plant (at tax payers expense) in a partial cut????(just to impede future harvest?)

I'm also disturbed by the 20" old growth designation...I'm cutting 35 year old natural third growth that's bigger than that...I guess that makes me older than an old growth?

Burvol, that's what I'm talking about! Perfect example of stupid silva culture. Basically its dumb to log through reprod. Why would they plant (at tax payers expense) in a partial cut????(just to impede future harvest?)

I'm also disturbed by the 20" old growth designation...I'm cutting 35 year old natural third growth that's bigger than that...I guess that makes me older than an old growth?

I heard that now the state calls anything that is in the lead with their crown over the other timber, old growth. I call it horse ####.

Back to yarding. Here's pictures from today's hike up the hill. This hooktender actually has a wedge in his pocket, but the bad news is the bar is bent a bit on the saw. Notice he is looking up. The crew makes comments about the white hat. I don't.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Shortly after, all work except for loading trucks, came to a halt. The yarder broke down while being moved. A shop truck had to be called.

Back