Year 2032--NIB Barn find!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
The other thread on buying and sitting on a 455 got me wondering. Guys here go nuts when they find an old cool saw that is NIB, or in almost new condition. So...what saws being produced TODAY will be cool saws to find "NIB" in the future, 20-30-40 years from now? Which are really the "collector saws" today, the ones that will hang in there in value and desirability? Or are there any really, since the age of plastic hit?

Plastic will be highly coveted when modern saws are made from Kerzhan. Of course the real fun will be throwing chips, since the EPA mandated chip free saws in 2025.

Won't be any gas powered saws then, watched an infomercial on the Oregon electric saw this morning and it actually (in my mind) has it's place in life. Looks to run and cut (not as fast) with something like a Husky 36 or Stihl 170 about the same size.

Thats a good idea!
But I would chose a different saw the 455 might be the new Homelite XL,XL2. Old but you can get them on CL for $20-$25 all day.
But who knows the 455 might = a 390XP 30yrs. from now when all the "big" tree's are gone and your nice wood is 12'' @ the stump.

I plant new trees ( maple and oak) to replace the fallen or dead ones I cut. So in the future CAD will be fine and dandy!

Won't be any gas powered saws then, watched an infomercial on the Oregon electric saw this morning and it actually (in my mind) has it's place in life. Looks to run and cut (not as fast) with something like a Husky 36 or Stihl 170 about the same size.

Funny you should bring that up ;)

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/179262.htm

Ya, I was thinking being a first year edition and low number, it might some day be of value as a collector saw, but for now, it ain't no shelf queen!

346XP's 359XP's and 372XP's... I bet them are some... along with 026's, 044's and 066's... and other various cool plastic saws.

Perhaps the Poulan WT's would end up worth money too, since so many people throw them away... maybe it's time to grab a few in brand new boxes and bury them in the attic somewhere...

I dunno, it's kinda like with some of the old saws... only a few are really worth money during certain times of the year. For example, only a few months ago, 82cc yeller saws were bringing lots of money, one went for around 800 bucks.

It's really kinda hard to say.

346XP's 359XP's and 372XP's... I bet them are some... along with 026's, 044's and 066's... and other various cool plastic saws.

Perhaps the Poulan WT's would end up worth money too, since so many people throw them away... maybe it's time to grab a few in brand new boxes and bury them in the attic somewhere...

I dunno, it's kinda like with some of the old saws... only a few are really worth money during certain times of the year. For example, only a few months ago, 82cc yeller saws were bringing lots of money, one went for around 800 bucks.

It's really kinda hard to say.

I completely agree with promac610. The saws that will bring big money in the future are exactly the saws that are most desireable today. The 346xp , 372xp , MS440, MS660, etc. Even more desireable will be limited production saws like a 288 lite, or any popular (today) pro saws with uncommon options like heated handles, etc. Today's saws will peak in value in 30 to 40 years, when younger guys today get up into their 50s and 60s. They will find themselves with a little disposable income, which they didn't have back in their 20s and 30s due to the kids, mortgage, etc. They will be retired, or closer to retiring..... have some investments, etc. They will be feeling nostalgic, wanting that saw they had when they were younger but had to sell to make the rent ........ or the 372xp they always wanted, but could only afford a 455 Rancher back then.

You heard it here first folks ! Start squirreling away those saws !! :biggrin:

I completely agree with promac610. The saws that will bring big money in the future are exactly the saws that are most desireable today. The 346xp , 372xp , MS440, MS660, etc. Even more desireable will be limited production saws like a 288 lite, or any popular (today) pro saws with uncommon options like heated handles, etc. Today's saws will peak in value in 30 to 40 years, when younger guys today get up into their 50s and 60s. They will find themselves with a little disposable income, which they didn't have back in their 20s and 30s due to the kids, mortgage, etc. They will be retired, or closer to retiring..... have some investments, etc. They will be feeling nostalgic, wanting that saw they had when they were younger but had to sell to make the rent ........ or the 372xp they always wanted, but could only afford a 455 Rancher back then.

You heard it here first folks ! Start squirreling away those saws !! :biggrin:

This is a very succinct, and well written post. Revealing what I had suspected yet never able to articulate. CAD is cyclical.
As for squirreling away saws, I think "we" got this handled..........LOL!!!!!

I say all that as someone who used to collect vintage toys. Really, you can just look at trends with cars too. IMO, the key is to unload before your target customers get too old, or start passing away....... thats when the bottom falls out of the market. Just ask the guys sitting on the restored Ford Model As.

It's tough to put a future value on something. Value is only in the eye of the beholder. There are things today that are sold for hundreds if not thousands of dollars that I wouldn't pay 2 dollars for. I'm sure what will be of most value to me in that year will be the Stihl 015 that was purchased by my grandfather. And the regret will be losing the Homelite Super EZ that was toasted 6 years ago that belonged to dad. Never should have parted with that saw, should have kept it to rebuild.

Other than that, I have no attachment to any saw I have now, nor any saw I've wanted. I have not needed one, one has not gotten me through any particular situation, made me that important dollar, etc. Perhaps if I use one to clear a house lot it will become a keeper. Other than that, I have no particular desire for any make or model saw out there other than what is currently appealing.

I say all that as someone who used to collect vintage toys. Really, you can just look at trends with cars too. IMO, the key is to unload before your target customers get too old, or start passing away....... thats when the bottom falls out of the market. Just ask the guys sitting on the restored Ford Model As.

True, most people nowadays wouldn't know the first thing about what to do with a Model A. They require some very specific care and maintenance. Who'da thunk you could cut gasoline with kerosene and those puppies would still run??? :hmm3grin2orange:

pink saws,, yep when the pink fad dies out and our camo goes green again and no more pink 22's and shotguns those saws will be worth a bundle.

Latest posts

Back