Year-end prep for saw with priming bulb - different?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did my final cutting of the year today with the Dolmar PS420, dumped the remaining mix out and idled the saw until it died, just like usual. Took it inside to start cleaning it up, and then I noticed that there is still some gas in the priming bulb. Having never owned a saw with a primer until this one, I'm wondering, is this ok? Or is there something else I should do to purge that out too?

the only time i have ever had a problem with primer bulbs is when my brother bowed my fs85 and left it outside for over a year when i went to pick it up it looked like it sat in the ocean for the last year and the primer bulb was cracked.

the odd thing is is that weedeater seems to be toast now..

i leave fuel in one of my 35cc plastic poulans and i run it as is
never had a problem with it..

Buy a spare?

If you had a mighty-vac or similar, you might could pull it dry before storing
but the bulb could still crack while stored or check valves in body could stick
before next season. The last time I bought one, it wasn't much higher than
a spark plug & I keep spares for them too.

I've left fuel in them quite a few times when preparing for storage, manufacturers dont really mention them in their storage instructions. If you want after you idle out of tank gas you can try to push the remaining fuel out of the bulb and then try to see if you can get it to pop again and burn the last of that gas off.

It's going to get worse before it gets better

I have rat holed fuel lines and other fuel line components just in case.
If the ethanol content gets pushed to 15% like rumored, it will be even
worse on OPE equipment, it is not good for old tractors & trucks either.

Fortunately, the 15% ethanol content is not a mandate, they'll only be allowing it to be sold, but only for newer vehicles (I don't remember the year). It won't make financial sense for many retailers to spring for a separate pump and tank just to serve such a small customer base.

Year end prep for saw with a priming bulb:

1) drain fuel and bar oil
2) remove bar and chain
3) place powerhead in trash receptacle or at curb
4) buy a real saw.

:jester:

I run them dry and put a little protective shine, or you could use armor all, on the bulb just to help prolong the life. not sure how much it helps, but for the two seconds, hey why not?

Do you always like to flaunt your ignorance like this?

The PS420 is probably the finest saw of it's size, and certainly the easiest to start.

2) remove bar and chain
4) buy a real saw.

2) remove bar and chain
4) buy a real saw.

You truly are a dips%t

. Thanks for this illuminating knowledge!

To be really "real", it isn't really a "primer" bulb, and the fuel goes the other way.................

So if you still have fuel in the bulb, put a paper towel in the tank loosely, and push the bulb until the fuel is gone.

Latest posts

Back