Yellow Wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does the bark come off easy were their lots of tangled branches on these trees or a small amount of branches were the trees single trunk or multiple trunk mule berry tends to have multiple trunks locust almost alwasys single trunk what does it smell like locust smells like pee if you can answer these questions i can tell you what you have

I don't know what the tree was like when it was dropped. The wood I got was all that was left which was not much just the main trunk which was not cut up. All the branches and cut rounds were burned by the homeowner in his outdoor firepit earlier on. :cry:

the bark doesn't want to fall off, it doesn't have a smell that I can tell and it looked like it was 1 single trunk.

The log I got looks just like the 1st picture from wdchuck. Same black end and bark pattern. But the inside looks like his last picture but mine has heavy black streaks and was semi hollowed out on one end.

Another vote for black locust. Stick a hunk in the ground and wait 50 years and if it does not rot away it is locust. :)

Locust makes amazing fence posts. A grape arbor I put up when I was a kid is still standing to this day and I built it 40 years ago. We cut some tops for firewood one time that were left over from a logging operation. The guy that did the logging saw us and told us he cut the logs out 20 years earlier and those were the tops we were cutting! We thought they had been down about 2 years. The bark was gone but the wood was still sound as it could be. Locust burns very, very hot. My brother saves it from his firewood business and uses it in his OWB because a little bit goes a long, long ways.

Was the wood hard to cut or rather easy? Mullberry cuts alot easier than locust. I would say that it is mullberry because it has such a curve to it like mullberry usually does. Locust is normally pretty straight.

Was the wood hard to cut or rather easy? Mullberry cuts alot easier than locust. I would say that it is mullberry because it has such a curve to it like mullberry usually does. Locust is normally pretty straight.

Not around here. A lot of my locusts have twists and kinks to them, like the twisty one in wdchucks photo a few posts back. I've got straight ones, too, but they do twist.

Jack

I'll get a bark picture tomorrow.

It cut pretty easy, left a decent saw chip, not big wafers like willow/poplar but not fine like oak. I'd say it compared to cutting an ash.

It did split nice, I was thinking it would be chore after seeing all the crooks in the trunk but it came apart without much fuss.

I'm guessing Locust is heavy for its size? This stuff didn't feel extra heavy for its size.

All the locust that I ever cut the heartwood was not in the center of the log. It was off center. Every tree was like that.

Another vote for mulberry. I've burned a lot of it over the last couple years. Locust never gets the black end like mulberry does. Mulberry will start to change color within hours of being cut if its in direct sunlight. Locust also doesn't have that pronounced a difference in the color of the heartwood and sapwood. Mulberry does. I'd add that mulberry pops pretty bad when burning, no matter how dry it is. Lots of btu's though. Not as much as locust, but I think it burns hotter faster, so the btus are put off quicker. Won't last 12hrs. like a stovefull of locust will. Just my experience.

It could be hackberry, Id have to see the bark though. Ive been burning some hackberry the last couple days that looks a lot like that.

The Hackberry around here is the whitest wood I have ever cut :confused:

hmm..ive cut quite a bit of western hackberry this season, and the stuff is pretty yellow. Im sure there are many regional differences. Id have to see the bark of the wood this thread is about. Its pretty hard to mistake hackberry bark.

edit...i looked at the pics again after throwing some hackberry in the stove. The hackberry i have isnt near that dark...my bad.

however, i will throw another suggestion out there, anybody think of russian olive?

Last edited:
Osage Orange

What does osage orange look like? I just got some free wood and was told it was either mulberry or osage orange. Can't beat free wood

Okay I wanted to take a picture yesterday but it was raining to much. Here is a close up maybe this will help settle the debate.:) Never would of guessed there were so many "yellow" species of trees.

On a different note-Hey Coog I'm a little behind, but Jason stopped by the other week with 6 cords of oak. Crappy picture but he brought a nice range of size from 8-46" diameters and many that are nice and long. Probably BS'd with him for to long after he got it all unloaded but he didn't seem to mind. Great guy-I'll be calling him again after this pile is cut up and have him bring some more for years to come. :cheers:

Here is some genuine maw-burry. Hey is that a wood thief in the background?
attachment.php

View attachment 113503

Here is some ostrich orange
attachment.php

View attachment 113504

Here is some more mulberry on the right side of the closest pile, the other half of the pile is sugar maple.
attachment.php

View attachment 113505

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back