Yes...another oil thread. Help me out here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a woods ported 260 that turns about 15,500 and a 460 that turns about 14,300. I also have a muffler modded 361 and a stock 045AV Super. These saws may set for months at a time without being run. I'm looking for the best protection at sustained high RPM as well as corrosion protection when they're setting for so long. Is there one oil that will fit the bill for both the stock saws as well as the woods ported saws? Money is not an object. I don't burn enough to worry about it.

I'm currently using Maxima Castor 927 with great results. I used it for years in a ported Yamaha Banshee and love the performance and smell. However, it's not a good choice for use in cold weather. I don't want to be switching back and forth summer and winter. I also considered Klotz Super Techniplate, but the 927 was local and I had experience with it. My stock saws were seeing Mobil Racing 2T along with my other small 2-stroke engines. But I've since started using the 927 in all the saws. I'm not listing the Mobil Racing 2T as an option since it's no longer going to be available. Besides it's only a Group III oil and I'd prefer a 100% synthetic oil. I know it's good, but there is better.

I'm considering a few oils that will be better all season oils yet still want to provide the protection the Castor gave me.
1. Klotz R50
2. Maxima K2
2. Motul 800 2T

[QUOTEBesides it's only a Group III oil and I'd prefer a 100% synthetic oil.][/QUOTE]
Hogwash! 2R uses a carboxyl ester base oil.
If you have to store long term give them a quick shot of fogging oil through the carb and be done with it.

Just run them every 6 months - they will be fine.

+1

I routinely run saws with gas up to 2 years old. It's not optimal, but they're okay. Royal Purple is a good alternative. Kart guys love it. And they run harder than most of us.

Fred

Out of the oils you have listed Maxima K2 is probably the best out of the three.

I've been testing Klotz super techniplate and Maxima K2 for the last couple of months, and I have found that Maxima K2 runs cleaner than Klotz super, but they both lubricate very well.

I however have not used Klotz R50 so I can't comment on on how well it works, but from what I do know about R50 it should run cleaner, and protect against rust better than super techniplate. One thing is for sure I love the smell of Klotz oil.:cheers:

Last edited:
Castor oil pvides the best film strength...but it is not much good during winter as you said. If you are going to run the saws during winter then go with a full synthetic, but you will give up the ultimate protection that Castor provides. Stihl Ultra or Klotz R50 in the winter, Super Techniplate in the summer.

Moto X Oils rock

I have run Klotz R50 and a Torco synthetic with good results. I don't believe that the Klotz was synthetic, but the Torco was.

I went to the local cycle shop and found a whole bunch of different motocross pre-mix oils to choose from. Cutting last weekend, I realized that I ran out of teh good stuff, so I had to revert to some Citgo Dino premix. I definately can tell the difference in power.:chainsawguy:

Lazer

Latest posts

Back