Yet Another Bar Oiler Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I believe that is the simplest way.....

.....but I am really starting to wonder if that bar really is a correctly made 3003 mount bar - or mayby it was made on a monday morning....
Troll, I checked the 290 bar against the bar on my MS361. The two bars are identical. On the othetr hand, the oil groove on the 361 is 3/32" higher above the bar nuts and lines up perfectly with the bar's oil holes. That is also true for an MS310 with a blown engine that I also am working on today. It is only the MS290 that has the obvious error.

I have yet another MS290 that I gave to my logger friend as a loaner to help keep him cutting. I'll check to see if it has the same error and then post the serial numbers of both saws. The 290 that I modified as shown above may have been sold a year or so earlier. We should be able to tell with a serial number check. Seem reasonable?

Hmmm... I believe the MS 310 is built on the same chassis as the MS290. I just checked an MS310 for comparison. The MS310's oil groove (channel) lines up perfectly with the same bar that I installed on the MS290 shown above. Perhaps Stihl moved it's bar oil channel up to correct the error made on the MS290.

I thought best to call this to the forum's attention.

I'd assume it has more to do with when the different saws were made, that with if it is a 290 or a 310. It could well be just a batch of parts that was off for some reason.

Drilling it out to the required oval seems the easiest, but man...they been hitting the schnapps a little heavy for breakfast over yonder in Schteel intergalactic design division.

OP is it a German made Stihl or 1 from Virginia Beach? I am asking because one of my holiday house guests said that his dealership had a saw from Poland shipped to his location in Germany because of a issue. ( he is a 30 year owner ) so he joked and said that Stihl would cover that.

OP is it a German made Stihl or 1 from Virginia Beach? I am asking because one of my holiday house guests said that his dealership had a saw from Poland shipped to his location in Germany because of a issue. ( he is a 30 year owner ) so he joked and said that Stihl would cover that.
The one I am working on is American made in USA. I imagine that's Virginia Beach. I loaned out another 290 that I own that seems to be oiling OK, but I noticed that the bar, which is 3rd party and not a Sthl, has larger oil holes. When I get that saw back, I'll check the oil groove placement measurements on it.

It's possible that Stihl corrected the situation with a subsequent production run, but you have to wonder how many of them were sold that suffer from the malady that I posted here.

Hi all, I'm new here. Anyways, I have a MS290 w/18" bar I bought about 4 years ago, started having an oiling issue, but at first I thought it was cause my bar and chain were shot. So bought a new Stihl bar and chain, but still having the oiling problem. The oil is coming out of channel, but rather than going into the oil hole in NEW BAR(which oil hole does line up with channel on saw), it pools up all around the rear of the bar, saw and cover. Is it common for the oil channel on saw to warp, where it bypasses the hole in bar?? I've cleaned the oil passages and tank vent, run the saw with bar removed, and oil comes out. But with bar on, oil is all over saw and side cover.

Hi all, I'm new here. Anyways, I have a MS290 w/18" bar I bought about 4 years ago, started having an oiling issue, but at first I thought it was cause my bar and chain were shot. So bought a new Stihl bar and chain, but still having the oiling problem. The oil is coming out of channel, but rather than going into the oil hole in NEW BAR(which oil hole does line up with channel on saw), it pools up all around the rear of the bar, saw and cover. Is it common for the oil channel on saw to warp, where it bypasses the hole in bar?? I've cleaned the oil passages and tank vent, run the saw with bar removed, and oil comes out. But with bar on, oil is all over saw and side cover.
That I have never heard of. If the center of the channel on the case lines up with the center of the oil hole on the bar, you should be getting enough lube into the bar groove. I suspect the hole on the bar is somehow clogged up or there is no passage from that hole to the groove. Flip the bar and check both sides.

Back