You have to do this to your Vermeer SC252 to speed it up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApexTreeService

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tonight I just did the very first upgrade that should have been done 6 years ago when I bought the machine :

Change the hydraulic pump pulley to a smaller (3" vs. 5" stock one) one for increased (40%) travel speed and increased boom/arm speed. Now it is much faster, but I am going to put a smaller sprocket on the wheel drive motor to increase land speed even more. I love the faster boom speed because I use it to raise the machine and 'walk' the front end left or right instead of driving/steering it for large stumps. The wheel drive motor seems more powerful now, no problem spinnin' em.

It was so easy and painless too. You order a 2 piece taper lock pulley (1 piece is the sheave, 1 piece is the bushing/keyway) with a 9/16" bore, 3" diameter, for a 1/2" belt. Get a 4L250 belt, swap everything and your done.

Also, one other must do. Every have to drive off the pile of shavings and rake them elsewhere so you can continue grinding without having to power through the chips under the machine? I do it like 5 times a stump, and it's annoying. So I unbolted the front chip flap, and moved it forward to the front end of the box instead of the back. Then I bought some 1/8" rubber to fill in on the sides, and now I have twice the area to fill with chips before they start to pile up against the back of the wheel.

Last edited:
Back