You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are multiple holes in the snowbanks piled up by the boiler that resemble someone plunging their "lit" arm into it.

Look close enough, and you might find a hole that has the side of a face imprinted above it. :dizzy::laugh:

Ouch!! That's when you know you're LITERALLY getting heated with wood!

There is a section of a about 3 acres near the Lowell exit off I 93 that is nothing but dead standing trees. Looks like swamp maple. Every time we drive by I fantasize about having some time in there with my nmurph built Whamma Jamma 79cc Makita!!!

You know you heat with wood when you've considered buying an old orange and black state truck and an orange safety vest so you can grab wood along the highway without anyone looking twice.

Actually logbutcher is technically correct, the mean annual temperature for Maine is 7[sup]o[/sup] colder than Iowa (Maine = 41[sup]o[/sup], Iowa = 48[sup]o[/sup]). BUT, it ain’t so much ‘cause Maine has colder winters… rather it has very cool summers when compared to Iowa. Because of these (relatively) cool summers Maine gets ranked as the third coldest stated while Iowa is ranked fifteenth when comparing mean annual temperature.

Most other “cold winter” states (especially those in the interior) will see summer temperatures in excess of 90[sup]o[/sup] for several days each year, and many see over 100[sup]o[/sup] for at least a handful of days. The average summer high temperature in Maine is 64[sup]o[/sup], the average summer low temperature in Iowa is 65[sup]o[/sup]. Get it? During the summer, our average overnight lows are warmer than Maine’s average midday highs. It is possible for Maine to see frost 10 months of the year… the only other state that can claim that is Alaska.

Where logbutcher goes wrong is assuming that also means Maine has colder winters… which is an incorrect assumption. For comparison, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Maine was -48[sup]o[/sup] (Van Buren, 1925) and in Iowa it was -47[sup]o[/sup] (Elkader, 1996). And for reference, neither Maine nor Iowa even place on the top-ten list for coldest ever temperatures in the lower 48… In actuality, Maine is only slightly colder than Iowa during winter months (November – March)... where the northern third of Iowa is the same, or slightly colder than Maine.

But we can’t rank winter severity on temperature alone… the length of winter weather, the number of snow and ice storms, as well as wind must be considered. Maine surely beats Iowa on the length (compared to southern Iowa, winter never ends in Maine LOL). Maine may not always necessarily have more storms, but on average they certainly dump more snow and ice. Where Iowa out-steps Maine by a long-shot is blizzards and wind, and the average daily wind-chill temperature… most of Maine doesn’t even come close. And for reference, Iowa just barely makes the top-ten list for winter wind… heck, even Minnesota beats Iowa on that count.

Yeah, the winters in Maine are nasty… but Iowa winter sure the heck ain’t “tropical” by any stretch! And really, it is debatable whether-or-not one is worse than the other. If’n ya’ really want to experience horrible winter weather, spend a January in someplace like North Dakota or Montana… Rogers Pass, Montana hit -70[sup]o[/sup](without the wind-chill) in 1954… and the wind never stops blowing in Montana. The only U.S. location to ever record a colder temperature was Prospect Creek, Alaska at -80[sup]o[/sup] in 1971.

In the lower 48 states though, which state is the coldest depends upon the time of year. North Dakota tops the list of coldest states in winter and fall, based on state-wide average temperatures. During spring, Maine is coldest, while in summer it's Wyoming.
Some states are among the ten coldest states year round. Consistently cold throughout the year are Maine, Vermont, Montana and Wyoming.
Other states make the list of ten coldest in every season but summer. Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota are states that get a break in summer from ranking in the ten coldest.
It is because Minnesota and North Dakota get so exceptionally cold in winter, that they place just behind Alaska for the lowest annual average temperature. The north-central states have temperatures in December and January that average about six degrees Fahrenheit (3 °C) below those of the next chilliest states.

You know you heat with wood when...

... you read CrappieKeith's post word for word. Good show!

However, average temperature is only one dimension of coldness. You also have to factor in wind chill, precipitation, cloud cover, and even the terrain. I suppose that's why the discomfort index was concocted.

Regardless, take a look at the population density of North Dakota. That just about says it all. :msp_razz:

... you read CrappieKeith's post word for word. Good show!

However, average temperature is only one dimension of coldness. You also have to factor in wind chill, precipitation, cloud cover, and even the terrain. I suppose that's why the discomfort index was concocted.

Regardless, take a look at the population density of North Dakota. That just about says it all. :msp_razz:

Do you know why it is soooo windy in Mn......No Dak blows and Wisconi sucks....bahahahahahahahaha!

sorry guys...here's one on me....
Why do the Mn. Vikings have purple jerseys...cause you'd be purple too if you had choked for 30 years.

You know you heat with wood when

May have been said but wood will warm you Three times, when you cut it, when you split it, and when you burn it. most of these saying go with any Tree Person

You know you heat with wood when you've considered buying an old orange and black state truck and an orange safety vest so you can grab wood along the highway without anyone looking twice.

Does that old state truck come with a couple of workers with shovels to lean on? :biggrin:

Does that old state truck come with a couple of workers with shovels to lean on?

If those shovels have wooden handles they're liable to get stacked right up with the firewood. Those workers can find something a little less valuable to lean on.

Last edited:
May have been said but wood will warm you Three times, when you cut it, when you split it, and when you burn it. most of these saying go with any Tree Person

when you load it into the truck to bring it home.

and when you stack it.

and when you move it from stack to house.

My wood warms me at least 6 times.

...Buying a bottle of Aleve has a direct impact on your heating cost.

...You wonder if beer is an allowable deduction on your taxes under "heating expenses".

...You wonder if beer is an allowable deduction on your taxes under "heating expenses".

No, you can't write it off under heating...but the aleve and beer get counted as medical expenditures. I find that they fit well in either pain management or mental health.

You're a diehard when the cold weather creates that 40lb block of ice feeling in your chest and you keep plugging along with transferring it from outdoors to the basement via a hole in the wall.

I thought beer was in the entertainment column and congac was under medicinal needs column.:laugh:

when you buy paper logs for the "wife's" decorative glass front wood stove because cutting any wood less than 20 inches is a waste

You're a diehard when the cold weather creates that 40lb block of ice feeling in your chest and you keep plugging along with transferring it from outdoors to the basement via a hole in the wall.
Cmon now Mike, it only got down to 3 here last night, must be colder down there in deep south WI!

I thought beer was in the entertainment column and congac was under medicinal needs column.:laugh:
Cognac? Sounds spendy, must be medicine. If I'm feeling like splurging, it's a $25 bottle of "good" vodka.

Gotta run, lots of chains to sharpen tonight. Had a chain changing marathon in the woods today, I think I mislabeled my "sharp" and "dull" boxes, took 4 chains on the 5100 to find a good one. MUST get a better system!

Cmon now Mike, it only got down to 3 here last night, must be colder down there in deep south WI!

Cognac? Sounds spendy, must be medicine. If I'm feeling like splurging, it's a $25 bottle of "good" vodka.

Gotta run, lots of chains to sharpen tonight. Had a chain changing marathon in the woods today, I think I mislabeled my "sharp" and "dull" boxes, took 4 chains on the 5100 to find a good one. MUST get a better system!

If I am going to be sharpening quite a few chains at one sitting, I mark the chain when I am done with one of those little display tags (cardboard tag, string loop) that it's sharp.

So, all of the sharpened chains have tags on them. Those in need of sharpening do not.

No, you can't write it off under heating...but the aleve and beer get counted as medical expenditures. I find that they fit well in either pain management or mental health.

I'm in real pain management. DEA just got involved. Have to see the Dr. once a month now. Before it was once a year. Been seeing the same Dr. since 1976. The longest of anyone of his patients. Almost like a father now.

Latest posts

Back