"You Suck" Thread 2016--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Factory defect saw... Defect seen in last pic. It has 5mins or less run time and I paid very little for it.

a0634d9e6d8778dff08750eeca7c632a.jpg

126030811cca6fb8f02794e2554fcec7.jpg

91942c836fc265e3fcd864f2a271695e.jpg

ed3ad7e4d43f5f515490f69ad92abb87.jpg

ce53dd6dd946f361806dc0809af9ebfb.jpg

13339a2d9d28ebf3aa4a1c20e8858feb.jpg

Caused by the stud moving ?
I haven't inspected it further yet but I think Dolmar didn't get the bar stud run down all the way from factory. I'm hoping I can take the bar plate off tonight, run the bar stud down, flatten the plate out smooth and reinstall.

It would be nice to have a fresh 6100 to play with at the Iowa Charity Cut this weekend.

Hmm... Well, even if it is cross threaded, I think you can probably chase out the hole with a tap, and then tin, or if you want to be sleazy, telfon tape that top end of the bolt so it doesn't weeble wobble from the vibration. Even though the "proper way" is to helicoil every time, come hell, high water, or even if 3/4 of the thread is intact. :rolleyes:

Unless of course, you don't have the extra space to install a helicoil, and have to do something "exciting" like using a magnesium brazing alloy to fill the hole, without setting something on fire and burning a big hole in the concrete, or expiring from poor ventilation due to flux toxicity. :blob2:

Links for those with a death wish.

https://app.aws.org/wj/2005/10/033/
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?85841-Welding-Magnesium-Why-won-t-many-people-do-it

Hmm... Well, even if it is cross threaded, I think you can probably chase out the hole with a tap, and then tin, or if you want to be sleazy, telfon tape that top end of the bolt so it doesn't weeble wobble from the vibration. Even though the "proper way" is to helicoil every time, come hell, high water, or even if 3/4 of the thread is intact. :rolleyes:

Unless of course, you don't have the extra space to install a helicoil, and have to do something "exciting" like using a magnesium brazing alloy to fill the hole, without setting something on fire and burning a big hole in the concrete, or expiring from poor ventilation due to flux toxicity. :blob2:

Links for those with a death wish.

https://app.aws.org/wj/2005/10/033/
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?85841-Welding-Magnesium-Why-won-t-many-people-do-it
We'll take it 1 step at a time and take it apart first...

Hi. This is my first post. Old flat top 066 I picked up on Friday. It was only run for a couple months before they broke the spark plug wire, junked it, and threw it in their garage. It needed an oil cap, a top handle, and an ignition, which I already had laying around. Everything else is in near perfect condition. Scored it for the low, low price of FREE.image.jpeg

Hi. This is my first post. Old flat top 066 I picked up on Friday. It was only run for a couple months before they broke the spark plug wire, junked it, and threw it in their garage. It needed an oil cap, a top handle, and an ignition, which I already had laying around. Everything else is in near perfect condition. Scored it for the low, low price of FREE.View attachment 503304
Nice score...did they use it as a doorstop for there garage? It was free so it doesn't matter but I think they made up the story they told you. No one buys a thousand dollar big pro saw just to junk it over a simple spark plug wire after a few months. It should look pristine but either way You Suck!

I've known these people my entire life. I've no reason to doubt the story. They're extended family members. Believe me, its nowhere near the first thing they've done that makes me scratch my head and wonder why.

I have my suspicions about the starter cover being switched out for some reason or another. It's in much worse shape than the rest of the powerhead. All the rest of it needed was a good degreasing from catching bar and chain oil from the other saws under the workbench for the last couple decades.

My last 066 that I had came from under that workbench. I ran it for three years after investing about 200 bucks in parts.

There's still 1 more flat top 066, a decomp 066, a red light 066, an 046, and an 044 under that bench in various states of disrepair. They WILL be mine one of these days.

I was going through some of my Dad's old files and found an owners manual for a 452 VL. When I get a chance I'll see if I can find. If I do find it I'll send you a PM and mail it up to you. Back in the day it was my favorite trimming saw. One of the first higher revving saws we had. I actually stenciled "JOES SAW KEEP OFF" on the bar so the ground men wouldn't grab it and dull it. Dad let some one borrow it and they moved and kept my saw. Then I switched to a Homelite Super 1050 with a 24" bar, and NO body ever grabbed that one for ground trimming, Joe.

Bought this off an image conscious city slicker with a few acres who didn't want to run Echo saws because they aren't professional grade.... for $70.
I've run all sorts of saws and this is a cracker. A touch heavy for its output compared to equivalent saws from Husqy or Stihl but it has very high comp and it's appears to be very well made. DSC_0688 (Large).JPG DSC_0686 (Large).JPG

Bought this off an image conscious city slicker with a few acres who didn't want to run Echo saws because they aren't professional grade.... for $70.
I've run all sorts of saws and this is a cracker. A touch heavy for its output compared to equivalent saws from Husqy or Stihl but it has very high comp and it's appears to be very well made. View attachment 503982 View attachment 503983
I label them 'Stihl Snobs'.

Back