"You Suck" Thread 2016--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20161109_233758.jpg I picked up the one in the foreground along with yet another PM610 for $60. Need a pull cord. I was to lazy to fix the recoil on it tonight so i robbed the one off the other one in the photo. It has spark and compression. I haven't drained the old gas (which smells and looks awful) and put in fresh to see if it runs. I'm optimistic that it will. May need lines and some carb work but we'll see.

Joseph

Picked this up yesterday. CL ad for a pawn shop a few miles from work said they had a 461 AS IS for $150, only posted a few hours ago (I usually check a few times a day). Looking at the pictures it "may" have been a 460 since it had a threaded oil cap and a twist lock gas. So the handle was replaced. Went to look at it and the plastics weren't lining up right, tank seemed to be aftermarket, wasn't a decomp where the hole in the plastic was and the bar was loose for some reason. Called up my dealer and he couldn't get a hit on the serial number for some reason. Took the air cleaner cover off and had the inlet of the 044 MS440. So the MS460 top cover was probably a trick by the seller, then maybe he removed part of the 0 to make it look like 461 to the untrained eye.

lvveHNyl.jpg

Lets not gloss over that custom pull handle :)

I'm amazed they had the audacity to ask $800 for this thing.

7ScrcVul.jpg

Went to pull the side cover off and one of the studs kept spinning, turns out its stripped. Maybe a helicoil job to as something else was attached to the stud when it came out .

49EIuASl.jpg

Then, there was no clutch rim/sprocket. Only this.

XgVhaUel.jpg

Kinda hard to drive a chain with that :) This guy was really trying to pull a fast one on the pawn shop and it seems they took it as the guy working said it was normally a good customer but they haven't seen him since. No wonder. No telling how much they lost on it as I only gave them $40 for it. Pulled the muffler cover and the piston is lightly scored. Should be rebuildable though with correct parts. Will vac test this afternoon or weekend and see whats going on. Might just make it a dedicated Lewis Winch power head.

I honestly didn't think I would get the saw when I put it on the wedding gift registry. Luckily a family member on my wifes side supports my chainsaw addiction. :)
The best part is you put the chainsaw on the registry!! Lmao
Thats the greatest, i should of put an F250 or something (needed to drive my new wife around of course)

I guess this chainsaw counts as a you suck. It's brand new but was for free. I got this blue version of the Dolmar 421 as a wedding gift. :)

I beg to differ. That is NOT a 'you suck'. It came with a 'ball and chain'.

[emoji849]

OTOH, it beats the hell out of a punch bowl set.[emoji106]

Guy said he used it for limbing some coastal property. When I got it, the butterknife-sharp chain looked like it was used for stumping last and the whole thing was covered in fine sawdust. Filter was caked with brown oakbark. Chain was almost impossible to turn by hand - this guy apparently liked to run his chain TIGHT and use meager oil. Stuck to his guns at the $400, but decided to show me the empty bottle of "AMSOIL 100% full synth" and throw in a 3/4 gallon of no-name bar oil.
Or so he says.... Personally, I think he bought a storage unit. Still had the "Made in Germany" sticker on it, so I was a bit weary it was straightgassed and burned out (or Amsoil'd @ 100:1). But, it ran there on the spot after a few pulls. When I took it all apart, rings look like they just seated (no striations), piston has a nice thin matte carbon coating in the center, plug was nice tan in center with just a bit of soot on the rim. Blew it out with a can of starting fluid while working the flywheel at bottomdeadcenter, then used a pipet to drip Stihl HP oilmix direct onto the needlebearing and rings. Worked it periodically over a day and let the excess drain out the muffler port. EPA 2000 too, so my guess is its a 2000-2001 saw. It has the aquarium-type tank vent, too. Cracked open the muffler to clean it out, and no cat to be found. Leaks oil from the cap and where the old tube meets the crankcase - will degrease it and RTV the hose hole another time. After rebuild, fired it up on 3rd pull after choke-sputter, and let it run at idle while it smoked like crazy burning off all the extra oilmix from the crankshaft. Went and plungecut a old piece of trunk in the yard, and this thing RIPS!

Total Operational Cost for a basically NOS ms200T, B&C cover, Owners manual w/pouch, & swench: $400 + $7 oregon ms260 fuel line + $18 63RM50 chain = $425 :happybanana:

Now I just need to run this til its 3 months are up, then find a buyer.

Leaves a sour taste when I paid just as much for the MS200T, as I did the MS193T.

Went to pull the side cover off and one of the studs kept spinning, turns out its stripped. Maybe a helicoil job to as something else was attached to the stud when it came out .

49EIuASl.jpg

Stihl sells an over sized bar stud just for that reason when they are stripped out if you didn't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stihl sells an over sized bar stud just for that reason when they are stripped out if you didn't know.

Thanks. I had read about that in my searching. I need to measure the hole opening and see what size it is. Looks like some kind of repair was done.

I pulled the clutch and flywheel off and found noticeable play in the bearings. Went ahead and tried a pressure test and it wouldn't hold anything. Found a tear in the intake boot, not to mention then crank seals were gone too. Pulled it apart and the cylinder may cleanup. The piston rings still moved freely so that was a good sign. Will get a new one though. As well as bearings and seals. I also discovered that it was indeed a Stihl tank housing, just from a MS440.

Thanks. I had read about that in my searching. I need to measure the hole opening and see what size it is. Looks like some kind of repair was done.

I pulled the clutch and flywheel off and found noticeable play in the bearings. Went ahead and tried a pressure test and it wouldn't hold anything. Found a tear in the intake boot, not to mention then crank seals were gone too. Pulled it apart and the cylinder may cleanup. The piston rings still moved freely so that was a good sign. Will get a new one though. As well as bearings and seals. I also discovered that it was indeed a Stihl tank housing, just from a MS440.

I'm thinking with it being a franken saw you would be way money ahead to part it out. Just my $0.02 If it has a good screw cap fuel tank handle not broken there are people that pay top dollar for those. Just a thought. Is it a 044 or 460 block? 044 will have a sleeve around the seal on the crank that the clutch tightens down against.

Back