Your # 1 frankensaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
044/440 Hybrid......aka "Christine"

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

The 075/076 saws must be the series with the biggest number of frankensaws... as hardly anyone knows how to tell the difference between the two models and virtually all the parts interchange. A lot of 075.5 saws out there :laugh:

Ok guys don't laugh but this is a short tale of my beloved Homelite Super 2. When my maternal grandfather died I ended up with his trusty old Super 2. It still ran but was pretty beat so I just kinda shelved it. About 5 years later my paternal grandfather passed away and low and behold I ended up with his(that's right you guessed it) Homelite Super 2. This one was in pretty good shape but still in need of some TLC. So I found myself disassembling them both then reassembling with parts from both saws. It is now my very sentimental tophandle saw in my collection. Now, quite often when I head to the woods, I am accompanied by both of my grandfathers!!! :msp_thumbup:

My first 038S to 038M conversion.

This saw had a good bottom end and got a NOS OEM 038M P/C kit. I polished the ports and matched the dual port super muff to the new cyl, then opened up the baffle and dual port outlets. The saw also got OEM seals hoses and rebuilt oil pump. It has a Bing carb on it now, but the Tilly that came on the saw worked great too. The bar is a 20" reclaimed stihl ES, was beat with good sprocket tip, used a vertical belt sander to true it up then dressed it with a file (draw filing the the sand marks then taking the sharp edges off). Added a new 33RSC chain and good to go.

Never posted pics on this but stihl have the saw, will do so soon.

I'm now working on the same conversion using another Tecomec P/C assy, will take pics for all of that.

Thanks Brad C for some of the parts, and all the parts before......

Echo Frankensaw

My Echo CS 4500 made out of about three different saws.
It startet with a machine i bought for little money but appeared to have a cracked crankcase near the bar studs. Bar oil soaked out.

DSCF2555.jpg

DSCF2574.jpg

rebuilding, the new crankcase half mounted on an old bar for easy rebuild.
DSCF2572.jpg

DSCF2595.jpg

DSCF2597.jpg

She got new bearings and crank seals, had to open oil passages clogged by bio oil, oil pump from another saw, rebuild handle bar and chainbrake.

Found out that this Model is very well build easy to work on and an nice light worksaw, with enough power for the cc.

Greetings from Holland,

Jos.

Latest posts

Back