Your idea of a perfect saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
If you could have a saw custom made to your own design what would you build?

Here's mine:
A saw with reed valves in 50cc
10.5 pounds max weight powerhead
Power in proportion to it's displacement as to the Homelite super EZ
Rubber vibe isolated (just my preference)
Inboard clutch, rim sprocket
Regular choke and high idle setup, with adjustable high idle speed
Washable, easily removed filter element
Adjustable oiler
Free flowing multi piece muffler that allows disassembly and cleaning
Logical design that allows easy maintenance and teardown

Too much to ask right? Well, imagine a shrunk down Pioneer P-40 with an inboard clutch. You would come pretty close. I've really gotten spoiled by the wide power band of reed valves, especially in smaller saws.
Probably too much to ask though, it would just be too complicated and pricey to build in today's market.

Im REALLY REALLY fond of my mut saw 2150/346/350 that Kevin made. I think it may be my “perfect saw”

@huskihI

He made this little thing RUN.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

A 260 with a 460 top end..echo controls and air filter with an 090 muffler.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Unless you only cut the same size and type of wood exclusively, there is No One Perfect Saw.

I just had my new 543XP out for the first time last weekend, and in the up to 14” D Fir is Excellent, Nice and Light and Nimble, I could run that saw all day long

75715DFE-76A9-43C5-B2DB-618A6792985A.jpeg
The 14” end was getting about the limit that I would use that saw for, but it was the First tank of fuel, a few more tanks and maybe it will wake up a bit

For milling the 3120XP is my “Go To Saw”
1CE21081-FC91-4A47-95A2-B9867ECA14BD.jpeg
FCA5023A-A8D4-4AC0-A380-3137D4A9E5D6.jpeg
I sure wouldn’t want to lug this Beast around Firewood Cutting.

The 353, 550XP, 266XP and 372XP do the majority of the firewood cutting, with the 390XP and 395XP available for BIG Firewood cutting

At least for me there is no Single “Perfect Saw”, but I have a bunch that are each Great for Specific uses

Doug :cheers:

Something light enough to use all day, something with enough torque that you could walk round a big tree if needed. I've run my Makita 6100 with a 20" bar for everyday, a 13" bar for a days cutting when my 42 special wouldn't hot start up in a bucket pollarding a willow, and with a 24" bar for some small scale emergency milling. It may not be be lightest 60cc. But it has torque for days, it's the best built or the 60cc contenders IMO, which for me counts for a lot. It's easy to clean out. The filter never sees sawdust. It's just well designed. My prior ideal saw was my 365xt with covers ground. This now has surpassed it for my needs. Only downside is the small bar mount limitations.

Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

My ideal saw is Ported 266 I like the two piece coil saws then either a
Ported 268/272 with a 24" bar
60cc sized saw with 80cc performance20200527_184638.jpgmy zoo city saws is a very strong
Light saw imho
I've run the newer generations
I don't care for them.

Unless you only cut the same size and type of wood exclusively, there is No One Perfect Saw.

I just had my new 543XP out for the first time last weekend, and in the up to 14” D Fir is Excellent, Nice and Light and Nimble, I could run that saw all day long

View attachment 832335
The 14” end was getting about the limit that I would use that saw for, but it was the First tank of fuel, a few more tanks and maybe it will wake up a bit

For milling the 3120XP is my “Go To Saw”
View attachment 832336
View attachment 832337
I sure wouldn’t want to lug this Beast around Firewood Cutting.

The 353, 550XP, 266XP and 372XP do the majority of the firewood cutting, with the 390XP and 395XP available for BIG Firewood cutting

At least for me there is no Single “Perfect Saw”, but I have a bunch that are each Great for Specific uses

Doug :cheers:

The 543 took about 20 tanks of fuel to get broke in for me, was a fun 40cc saw while I had it.

My idea of a perfect saw is sub 14 lb and around 70cc... I see a frankensaw in my future. Anyone want to see an ebz 8500 cylinder and piston on a 50cc zenoah case?

Back