Your kids interested?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My shop is pretty much a full fledged saw shop at this time. With the addition of the milling machine the side biz. has been nearly overwhelming.
My son, who is 12 (Little Sling'r - size 13 shoe) wants his own saw, he and I and my father in law cut firewood all the time. Obviously having a dad as a timberfaller and a grandpa who has worked the same trade he is intrigued.
The last few weeks he's been tearing down saws for me to rebuild. Last Saturday he tore down 3 660s in an hour, and put each in seperate box with bolts and misc. in baggies.
I'm talkin' tore down to the case, tank, cylinder, piston and cir-clips.
So in other words he's working off the 460 I will build him this next summer.

Your kids interested or take part in your addiction/hobby/side biz?

Me and my brothers started working with our Dad when we were 13-14. It's a good age to start a kid. I started hand filing at 14 and started square filing at 17. Good stuff.

Your kids interested or take part in your addiction/hobby/side biz?

Hell NO!

My boys like loud saws, long bars, sharp chains, and saw chips flying through the air...

When it comes time to haul, split and stack, they scatter like startled feild mice!

Sounds like you got yourself a good kid there, Sling'r :cheers:

My oldest boy started going with me when he was a little guy. Here he is about 9 or 10 years old. He's 34 now and falls timber for a living.

scan0001-4.jpg

scan0002-4.jpg

Last edited:
Hell NO!

My boys like loud saws, long bars, sharp chains, and saw chips flying through the air...

When it comes time to haul, split and stack, they scatter like startled feild mice!

Sounds like you got yourself a good kid there, Sling'r :cheers:

I started helping my dad when I was 12. He let me use his JRed 2036,it was a nice little saw to learn on. Then I moved up to the 70E when I got bigger. He got me hooked, and he hasn't cut firewood for several years. I do it all except when I need a little help, cut, split, throw in the basement, and stack. He knew what he was doing giving me that 2036 13 years ago, lazy old man. LOL. Just kidding, love him to death.

My oldest son never been in motor area.When he was in college,during summer,he clears land with Jonsered RS 52 for few years to get his money.My second son got the bug from me for motorcycles and saws.He uses to race Mx semi pro class.He still cuts some wood with me during his vacation.

my son (9) loves to work with wood and metal. We both rush home to get into the garage. (school, work)We are building a 47 GMC pickup streetrod for his 16th birthday

All of my kids love the shop, I can't keep them away. My 8 year old sandblasted, bored, milled, and ported his own jug for his race bike (with a little help of course). I bet he is the only kid at the race track who fully understands what gos on in the motor, DADS INCLUDED. He is the red Yamaha in the front.
HPIM1681.jpg

just a little

Nice picture, but you gotta get that boy a stihl!

Our oldest daughter in the house thinks we are crazy. She sees a saw and rolls her eyes. We don't even tell her when we get a new one.
My oldest daughter out of the house loves all the saws, and would like an 036 of her own. (Her hubby has a Husky, but we still love him anyway):hmm3grin2orange:
My son's fiance has her own 032 and he likes that.
The youngest daughter likes to cut, and split when the pieces are small enough.
Hoping the Grandson will think saws are cool when he gets old enough.

I always tried to steer my boy away from working in the woods. He helps me with the firewood and he's a good worker and I appreciate that.
He was just a little guy when I got hurt and couldn't fall full time anymore but he remembers the hospital and the body-cast and all that stuff.
He can run any piece of machinery on the ranch and he knows what to do with the dumb end of a choker. He'll hustle and he won't quit til it's time to quit...can't ask for any more than that.
He wants to be a vet. Sure wouldn't hurt to have an animal doctor in the crew.

My son Cody turns 15 in 2 months and I'm proud to say he is a great worker. He loves being in the woods, especially when he gets to swing an axe. He has split 2 cords of wood this year by himself. Just he and the splitter. Stacked it all too. My daughter is 13 1/2 and still speaks to me. Most days anyway. She also works hard stacked wood or fetching it when she isn't texting a friend. I have uploaded some images but iy has been so long since I used Imageshack I can't remember how to post the images.

Old boys

My sons are 28 and 26 but will still come in a hurry if we are going to cut and/or split firewood. I bought a Jonsered 2050 years ago so they would have a saw they could handle while I was using the big one (621). They still prefer the little saw and let me handle the bigger ones. I really like splitting with the younger son as he had a great sense about how to put logs in the splitter, running the ram back and forth, etc. Older son is always willing help and will work all day for a lunch and a dinner.

The ol' 621 (mine is from 1970) pulls really well, with the original 3/8x8 set-up - anything else is a mistake.....
That saw was waaayyy ahead of its time, with Nicasil cylinder, and some rpms.

It also had workable anti-vibe, and a lot less weight than the competition (Husky 65 and 041) - less cc, but more power.

Last edited:
pespective

My son never liked to help with farming or cutting wood, and that really bothered me. I was kind of hard on him for a while but then I noticed most of his friends didn't help either so I dropped it. Thought maybe it was my fault. I always kind of missed having him there with me. He kept busy with other things like sports and part time jobs, so that was encouraging.

Anyway, long story shortened-------- he's in college now, Pre-Med. He got a 36 on the science portion of his ACT and averaged 30. Makes my previous worries seem pretty silly.
My wife and I were at a high school football game a couple months ago when one of my sons former HS teachers came up to us and started to get choked up.
She managed to tell us that she asked our son why he wanted to be a doctor. He said because he liked science and so that he could afford to take care of his mentally disabled younger sister for us someday.
So if your sons don't like to help,don't give up on them.
By the way, my 3 daughters LOVE to help split and stack wood.

Back