Your Opinions about the Stihl QS System?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noah

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am probably going to buy another 361, but haven't had experience with any of the Stihl's version of what they call the "Large throttle interlock lever", described under #2 below, which is posted from their site. I've read two negetive things about it when they first came out w/it, but have heard a rumor that they corrected the problems. Problems were stated that
1. The "large throttle interlock lever", the raised switch under the palm, made it uncomfortable.
2. It was causing the clutches to burn up. One dealer stated this and said to stay away from them. He won't order one. Someone else said that they corrected this problem by keeping the system from engaging so easily. Apparently, the brake activated at the slightest lift of the palm of the hand. A female tech at Stihl USA told me that she didn't see any need for it considering that a properly adjusted carb will make sure that the chain stops immediately as soon as the finger leaves the trigger anyway. And she said that the brake engaging would be very tough on many components of the saw. I might not have used properly adjusted Stihls before, but have not noticed that a fully reved saw out of wood stops "immediately" when the throttle is depressed. Just my opinion.

I'm a stickler for safety, and have seen guys w/reconstructive facial surgery from kick-back, but don't want something that's going to shut down every time my hand loosens up, or that messes up the saw either.
I can buy a 361 WITH the QS system at one dealer ship in the next state much cheaper than the 361 that I got from a local dealer w/out the system. Before I do either, I'd like to hear from users of the QS, Pros and Cons. What's your opinions?

----------------------------------------------------
STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake and QS Braking System

STIHL chain saws come equipped with a STIHL Quickstop® chain brake designed to reduce the risk of injury in certain kickback situations. Some chain saw models have the QS system consisting of two (2) braking systems.

STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake
1. Front hand guard activated either by manual movement of the hand guard forward or by inertia if there is sufficient force in the kickback. This system is designed to stop the chain within a fraction of a second.

QS Braking System (on selected products)
2. The large throttle interlock lever activates the second brake system. the right hand must be completely removed from the rear handle. This system is designed to stop the chain within one second.

Coming up on ten years since they came out with it.  I'd say the major bugs must have been worked out by now.  If they're causing clutches to wear prematurely I'd think it was operator error and/or mis-adjustment of the mechanism.  As with the front actuator, it's not something you'd want to use as a matter of course.

I've not used one but would like to, to see how they feel.  If they're requiring too tight of a grip with or an inflexible positioning of the throttle hand, that could lead to fatigue or other problems.  Barring that, it sounds like a very good idea to me.

Glen

Noah- I'm glad to see you're going to try the 361 again. I just bought one, absolutely love it. I bought mine without the QS system on it. I agree with Glen, in that the bugs should be worked out by now. I think if safety is your main concern (which it should be) then go for it. I bought mine without because I figured if it was a feature the pros wanted, you'd see it on the 260/440/460/660/880. The 361 is a whole new saw, so they put it on there to entice some homeowners I guess. Does anyone know if the new 650 has it available? Just my opinion. You can never have too much safety, but just like wearing hard hats, eye protection, chaps, ear plugs (all of which I do) there is some discomfort or inconvenience with many safety features. You have to weigh what it's worth to you to have to work around a brake that may seem to be on too much or at inopportune times, or need more frequent replacement/adjustment.

I wish you much better luck with this 361 than your first try. Let us know what you choose, and how it goes for you. Best of luck.

Take care all,
Jeff

My experience with a 270CQS is that you need to keep the palm lever clean for it to work properly. Personally I wouldn't buy the saw with the C or the QS

jmho, Jeff

I appreciate your responses and have to agree. The extra safety is worth the extra $ in my opinion.

Striker,
Would you mind explaining that problem in a little more detail? If it increases the safety margin I'm for it, but would like to weigh the problems first before settling on it one way or the other. Thanks.

Any other opinions, guys?

Noah

Last edited:
BTTT.

I drove a long distance to another dealer hoping that he might have a model w/this system that I could pick up and feel what its like, but the guy on phone didn't know what was the QS system was, apparently. Because I found out after driving there over an hour away they didn't have any in stock of any model.
???????????The weekend is here so I'm hoping for a little more response before deciding for sure.

The daggone thing sticks and doesn't work. If it doesn't pop down when you release it it won't stop the chain. Therefore, I just assume that it isn't going to work and treat the saw the same as I would saw without the QS system. It also adds extra weight to the saw. You might want to take a hint from the dealers and buy the regular saw.

Jeff

Hey Glen,

You don't really notice the system as far as causing grip problems. At least I haven't. My concern is getting complacent and getting hurt when the mechanism doesn't work.

Jeff

The guy in the tree in the last few Stihl catalogs has a web-based forum which we can't mention here (but the name is on his hat in the photos) has recently said that they got one of the 361s with the QS, but he hasn't mentioned anything about it other than they got one.

I am not convinced that either the QSS or QCT will benefit you in the long run, and both features could very well end up being major PITA's. I think of them as marketing gimmicks, until convinced otherways!

I think the same thing about the TAC (Triple Action Chainbrake), availiable on smaller Huskys.

Has anyone used them long enough to state that I am wrong in my assumption?

Thanks for the info guys! Think I'll go for the one without the system.

SawTroll said:
Husky, Jonsered or Stihl - No big deal??????
Firewood saws: Jonsereds 621, Husky 353G, Stihl MS361

Saw Troll,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that you like the 361 better than the other two. Could you tell me why you prefer it over, say, the J 621?
-Thanks

Hello Noah!
Sorry about the late answer - I have been away for a few days.
The saws mentioned in my signature are not comparable saws. If "better" means more powerful, you are of course right. So far, I like the ergonomics of the Husky better, though.
The Jonsered 621 is from about 1970, but still is a good saw for bucking logs into firewood lenght. I use it in the woods only on spesial occations.
The "no big deal" part of it are stated on a general basis, and is not related to those models.

Back