Your thouhts on fuel please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so we've all seen the fuel oil mix that if left in the tank turns to maple syrup and gums up our carbs. OTH, I've seen lots of recent mix that didn't do that. For instance, customer brought in a little bargain store Poulan 4218 that was so gummed I think I'm going to ahve to get a new carb for it. Conversely (first time I've ever used that word!) yesterday I dragged out my Sachs 133 that I hadn't run in a couple years, poured a little gas in the carb and it started and ran fine with no sign of gumming. The Sachs mix was Wally World mix oil and gas from the corner store. The Poulan was Poulan oil and gas from the same corner store.

My question is- what is it that makes some mix turn to gum in few weeks and others seemingly stay good for years even? All this takes place in extreme northern NY where we've had 10% alcohol blended fuel for several years.

Some of the mix oils have fuel stabilizers in them, maybe that's making a difference. If you're in the St Lawrence Valley you must be close to me, I'm in Massena.

I don't think water/alcohol causes the breakdown to varnish, but I don't think any expert could say for sure, as the fuel recipes likely have changed countless times over the last decade or so...

I just stick with 100LL Avgas to be on the safe side. However, in cases where it appears the same gas keeps well one time and not another I'm wondering if the fuel tank on the saw might be a big factor. Anyone notice a difference between an old saw which has a metal fuel tank and one of the newer saws with a plastic tank?

I just stick with 100LL Avgas to be on the safe side. However, in cases where it appears the same gas keeps well one time and not another I'm wondering if the fuel tank on the saw might be a big factor. Anyone notice a difference between an old saw which has a metal fuel tank and one of the newer saws with a plastic tank?

So you are suggesting that the varnish may be from a reaction of the fuel with the plastic tanks????

MMMMNNNNN. Maybe.....mmmmmmmmmmmm.could be.........

Seriously, plastics and their solubilty may be something to ponder, good point!

Milk last longer than gasoline

That is the sad truth. Todays government gasoline is blended to work in modern cars/trucks with compatible closed fuel systems and too heck :angry2: with all the other IC engines. Ethanol is hydroscopic crap that will absorb mosture from the air, which will then cause my pretty tillotson to rust and corrode etc. Todays blends are also high in pH, which when exposed to different materials makes a nice little battery and starts the annode/ cathode galvanic action (Fancy term for corrosion), aluminum, brass, steel, stainless etc. (Side bar: that yellow fuel line they sell is NOT rated for this ethanol, the right material is much more expensive, but that is a whole different thread) All pump gas has some ethanol in it. It's worse/more in the winter as it will not vapor lock like in the summer. Just watch you fuel milage drop in the winter verses summer. E10 is more like E12 in the summer and up to E15 to E16 in the winter. January 1 of this year the ethanol subsidy died, so the price of it will double and hopfully it will just go away (look at the recent gas price increase). Todays gasoline the lighter or more volitile stuff will evporate first (the stuff that lights real quick) leaving the heavy stuff last (the stuff that only burns at higher temperatures), then it gets to stinkin'. This happens in anything that is vented to the atmosphere, small engines and gas cans. The smaller the volume, the quicker it goes bad, like in bowl type carbs, the gas in them turns to crap quickly but the gas in the tank is still good. Add to that the above moisture and corrosion problems. So what can we do? Buy Aviation gas from a small airport as the little cessnas are air cooled carburated engines with all aluminum fuel tanks and there is no way they are going to put this garbage in their tanks. Buy racing fuel with no ethanol. Or third buy small volumes of your local gas from a busy gas station (large turn over). keep your gas cans full, sealed, inside a shed (don't leave outside or on the ground, in the back ou a PU) to avoid mositure absorption. Add fuel stabilzer to straight gas, most 2 stroke mix oils have stabilizer in them. Keep the stuff you use often full of gas, (chainsaws) and stuff you don't drained (generators). I tell people who I work on their stuff that their gas is bad and to buy some fresh. If they don't believe me I tell them to dump it into their car. Hope this helps
Courtney.

I never thought it attracted water, just mixed with it. The old time mower carbs had a spring loaded drain button on the bottom of the bowl
to quickly drain the condensed water out, and the glass seperation bowls were to see the water and crap.

I just went in the bathroom and got the rubbing alcohol, I put about 1 inch in a clear glass and then hit it with the tap right out the faucet. It mixed with a slight blur but I can hardly tell water is in the glass. I think ethanol is the same way. I don't think its like oil and water. The ethanol absorbs the water, its still in there.

Bailey's Alcohol Tester

Philbert

attachment.php

So you are suggesting that the varnish may be from a reaction of the fuel with the plastic tanks????

I'm no chemist, so I'll have to leave that one up to someone much smarter than I am. But yes, I would think that might be a possibility. I think that another might be that the plastic tank may be permeated by some of the smaller molecules, leaving behind a more concentrated mixture of the other "crap" that is in there. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, the truth about the plastics that hold our food/drink/pure water, likely would scare the living poop out of us.......

Our grandchildren may be part of that lawsuit......

Thanks guys, you've given me some information to ponder and research at least. The evaporation idea sounds plausible as does the plastic reaction. Makes sense since certain plastics react when fuel is spilled on them.

Troutfisher- Howdy neighbor! I'm over just south of Black Lake. Spent many, many days and night in Massena. Enjoy the ice/rain/snow! It's winter in Northern NY!:mad2:

As far as the plastic melting, I coined the term "milkjug effect" several years ago, which is a common sight here in Ky...

Can absolutely destroy a saw.

As far as the plastic melting, I coined the term "milkjug effect" several years ago, which is a common sight here in Ky...

Can absolutely destroy a saw.

I rehabbed an old JD 111 riding mower sometime ago, put a "clear" (white) gas tank from another old mower on it, the ethanol started to dissolve it, gummed up the carb on the Briggs...
Also likes to eat up less than top quality rubber fuel line as well.

I have a friend that swears plastic cans mess w/ gas. He only uses old metal coleman fuel type cans...

I do know (or at least that is what my dealer said) that the "No Spill" brand of fuel tanks just changed their plastic mix. I know the one I have is a different plastic just by look and feel than any other can I have or have seen, It is a more matte finish with a smooth satiny feel versus the more hi-gloss slick feel of the other cans...

dw

Newer Product- TruFuel, 93 Octane no ethanol.

Might not be too relevant for the commercial crowd because it is expensive. However, if you have saws that sit a while it may work for you. Tru Fuel comes in quart cans premixed 50-1 or 40-1 with synthetic oil and gasoline. It is 93 octane and has no ethanol. My Stihl dealer filled my new 200T with it. It sells for about $5.00 quart (case of 6 for $30) and can be bought at Home Depot in my area or on line. Once opened the fuel has a 2yr shelf life. If I'm doing a lot of cutting I use the regular stuff but once done and I think the saw will sit I fill with the pricey stuff. Hope to keep my 200T running good for a long time.

Gary in CT (Tree guy wannabe)

(maybe the alcohol is still in there, but they just do not charge you for it . . .)

If you are seriously concerned about plastic gas cans, you can still buy metal, safety cans. Like anything else, the good ones are more expensive ($60 -$70).
OSHA and DOT actually require these for some types of work and transport, so if you are using it commercially, you may want to look into these.

My preference is for the 'Type II' containers that are easier to pour. Note that the smaller diameter spouts are needed to fill chainsaws and most restricted opening gas filler caps on modern cars.

One manufacturer: Justrite Mfg. Co. L.L.C. - Safety products
(select: Safety Containers > Type II Cans For Flammables )

Philbert

(maybe the alcohol is still in there, but they just do not charge you for it . . .)

If you are seriously concerned about plastic gas cans, you can still buy metal, safety cans. Like anything else, the good ones are more expensive ($60 -$70).
OSHA and DOT actually require these for some types of work and transport, so if you are using it commercially, you may want to look into these.

My preference is for the 'Type II' containers that are easier to pour. Note that the smaller diameter spouts are needed to fill chainsaws and most restricted opening gas filler caps on modern cars.

One manufacturer: Justrite Mfg. Co. L.L.C. - Safety products
(select: Safety Containers > Type II Cans For Flammables )

Philbert

All I know for sure is that at my local gas station I can put more than 6 gallons of fuel in my 5 gallon plastic can. Do you think they are screwing me? I quit buying gas there anyway...

Latest posts

Back