Zig Zag safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck D

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413646874.134803.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413646898.551334.jpg

If you are concerned like I was about the possibility of the neck breaking on the zigzag Eye that hooks into your bridge, here is a solution. I simply took a short piece of Paracord (80 pound tensile strength) and rigged it as you see you there and then the second picture is where I actually disconnected the main carabiner to the bridge and put my weight on it to see how practical it was. Better than nothing and makes me feel better.

The rule of thumb used in calculating dymanic forces when rigging is

(Weight of piece in pounds x Distance dropped in feet) + the weight of the object

So an example
weight of object (you) 150 lb
distance falling 3'

(150 X 3) + 150 = 600 lbs

Might make you feel safer, but isn't really doing much.

If there's enough concern about a piece of gear failing, to warrant employment of contingency measures, it should be retired. Just sayin'

Also, the metal edges chafing on your little feelgood loop in a shock load situation are going to decrease it's capacity greatly.

View attachment 374417View attachment 374418

If you are concerned like I was about the possibility of the neck breaking on the zigzag Eye that hooks into your bridge, here is a solution. I simply took a short piece of Paracord (80 pound tensile strength) and rigged it as you see you there and then the second picture is where I actually disconnected the main carabiner to the bridge and put my weight on it to see how practical it was. Better than nothing and makes me feel better.
I have no idea what all that contraption is but it dont look like a Blake's hitch to me.

Wait a minute. Maybe I'm seeing this wrong but you have the carabiner, to the left, in your pic, right? Then, you have the carabiner that goes into the black loop that formerly was a break hazard before the upgrade. Common sense tells me that you could simply slip a properly rated sling through both carabiners and let it serve as a back-up if that black loop gave out. Apologies if I'm not seeing it correctly.

Back