Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been watching this guy on YouTube describe how to fix lawn mowers and other power equipment. His username is Donyboy73, and he explains stuff very well, and edits the video so that it's easy to follow (a little too simple, but he wants to help even the dimmer bulbs out there.) Watching him I got the motivation to get some mowers working that I hadn't looked at in many months. Seeing him fix saws reminded me that I had a couple "junk" saws in my garage (garbage picks.) I pulled them out (newer Homelite 33cc and a Power Mac 310), cleaned them up and got both of them running! I loved how that felt.

Anyway, I asked folks on FreeCycle if they had any non-running/parts saws I could have. Through that request a guy is giving me a Poulan Pro 4620AVHD that he said worked great for him until the recoil housing broke. After looking at some parts lists of different models, I'm guessing the "HD" in the model stands for "Home Depot", because there's also a model 4620AVL, which I assume stands for Lowes, the IPLs look identical to the 4620AV (I think they get their own model numbers so they never have to price match.) The good news is it isn't the '4620AVX' model with the "easy adjust" gizmo for chain adjustment.

I haven't got the saw yet, as the guy lives far away, and only comes into town once in a while. From what I can gather by reading on this and other sites, this model is very closely related to the PP295. What I'm wondering is are the recoil assemblies interchangeable, even though the later one has more parts in the IPL? Seems like they're the same shape, same housing, but the inside piece (the "pulley" and what I'd say is the "ratchet" center part) has extra parts and an extra spring instead of being all one piece. I'm hoping the earlier recoil would work for the later saw, to make it easier to find one that will work. That way I'll be looking for a recoil housing for this 4620, and could use one from one of these models: PP255, PP295, PP310, PP315, 2500, 2550, 2600, 2750, 2775, 2900, 3050 (I looked at all the IPLs and they looked like they took the same recoil.) Are there differences in quality between earlier and later recoil housings? I saw a couple pictures of some of the later ones where the rope had worn through the plastic and down into the air slots. Did they stop putting a little metal shield in the hole in later ones, or did that just pop out on these saws I saw?

I've also been reading about chain sharpening - seems my saw use in the past has always been handicapped by quickly-dulled chains ("Oops, got a little dirt that time. Guess I'll just keep going!") No wonder I never really liked using a chainsaw! So I've ordered some files with guides, and watched a lot of YouTube videos about sharpening chains, so I plan to avoid using my old technique of sawing with a chain that makes the wood start smoking...

One thing I'm sure of about this free saw that I haven't even seen yet: I could have done a lot worse.

Scott in Penfield NY

There is no label reference to Home Depot or Lowes. Simply model changes. The 4620 and the PP 295 have several different series, thus the diff. Designations. However to my understanding, the diff. Are subtle i.e., some in the Series use different mufflers, or Antivibe parts. However most recoils from the saws you mentioned, should fit.
HINT: go to Barretts Small Engines and compare the IPL's for the various saws and see if the recoils use the same part #. Bet they do.

I can try comparing the PN for recoils, but if they're not the same color, or if they have a different sticker on them, won't they have a different number? I just compared the IPLs and if they used the exact same artwork for the recoil assembly, I assumed they'd be the same, but no way to be certain.

I don't assume a "label reference" to Home Depot or Lowes, but I know that, for example, there's a Lincoln welder with an "HD" after it's model name, that is only sold at Home Depot. A welding supplier that offers Lincoln welders can claim the best price on "this model" without worrying about the local Home Depot, because "they sell a different model." In fact it's the same model, but the model number is different to "save" the more expensive retailers from direct price comparisons with the "Big Box" stores. The IPLs do show detail differences, I just thinks it's more than a coincidence that the similar models are "L" and "HD".

Here's a pic of a broken recoil housing from a Farmhand 2900 - notice no metal ring in the "rope hole":
Poulan%20Farmhand%202900%20with%20broken%20recoil%20housing.jpg

And here's a similar Craftsman, but with the metal ring:
Craftsman%2046cc.jpg

Did the Farmhand just lose the ring, or did it not come with one, thus allowing the rope damage?

Scott in Penfield NY

Last edited:
Speaking of the PP375, 385, 395. This might be a little long winded, but so what..:D.LOL I have been trying to come up with a reason you don't see the PP385, at least I have never seen one, not even a picture of one. Would like to hear any of your ideas or knowledge also. When Poulan first came out with the yellow & black line of saws, known as Poulan Pro, I'm wondering if the 375 & 385 were the same identical saw, except for the 385 having the 64cc top end. While the 375 got the 61cc top end. Both with the hand guard on the top cover.

Then at some point along in here, the US mandated the use of a chain brake. Where before they were an option. I know Poulan was opposed to the brake, and stated so in their brochures, and held out till they had to add them. I think Canada and Australia were at that point before the US. So then Poulan came out with the 395 with chain brake, and changed the color to gray instead of black, to differentiate between the two.??? Seems all the 395's I have seen have had brakes, and the 375's did not. Although was surely a dealer installed option. The 385 seems to be a rare bird, and if you can find one, would be a great addition to a Poulan collection.

Gregg,

I hope this question isn't too "noob", but why was Poulan against brakes? Or was it just that they were mandated (which opposition I could support, as I live in a state that "mandates" that I only load 7 rounds into a 10 round handgun magazine. o_O)

Maybe I need to check out a brochure thread and learn some history...

Scott in Penfield NY

I think they and other, Homelite included, preferred good training and safe practices as opposed to one single safety item. Good training stands you in good stead for life while a single item, chain brake, may or may not add to your safety if you follow unsafe practices.
I think the tip guard offered by some manufacturers was probably as safe as a chain brake.
These are my thoughts only, nothing official.

Regards,

Lee

I can try comparing the PN for recoils, but if they're not the same color, or if they have a different sticker on them, won't they have a different number? I just compared the IPLs and if they used the exact same artwork for the recoil assembly, I assumed they'd be the same, but no way to be certain.

I don't assume a "label reference" to Home Depot or Lowes, but I know that, for example, there's a Lincoln welder with an "HD" after it's model name, that is only sold at Home Depot. A welding supplier that offers Lincoln welders can claim the best price on "this model" without worrying about the local Home Depot, because "they sell a different model." In fact it's the same model, but the model number is different to "save" the more expensive retailers from direct price comparisons with the "Big Box" stores. The IPLs do show detail differences, I just thinks it's more than a coincidence that the similar models are "L" and "HD".

Here's a pic of a broken recoil housing from a Farmhand 2900 - notice no metal ring in the "rope hole":
Poulan%20Farmhand%202900%20with%20broken%20recoil%20housing.jpg

And here's a similar Craftsman, but with the metal ring:
Craftsman%2046cc.jpg

Did the Farmhand just lose the ring, or did it not come with one, thus allowing the rope damage?

Scott in Penfield NY
You guys call the Craftsman line the crapsman version etc but here is a perfect example of how Craftsman had some of their own specifications in their procurement department that in a few cases makes the Craftsman variant the superior choice.

In more recent times I have been into MTD Big Wheel mulching lawn mowers. The serial numbers on these show up the big box store they came from. It even comes up with Google. I have one from Sam's Club, one from Home Depot, and one from Lowes. They are all slightly different but most parts will interchange.

You guys call the Craftsman line the crapsman version etc but here is a perfect example of how Craftsman had some of their own specifications in their procurement department that in a few cases makes the Craftsman variant the superior choice.

In more recent times I have been into MTD Big Wheel mulching lawn mowers. The serial numbers on these show up the big box store they came from. It even comes up with Google. I have one from Sam's Club, one from Home Depot, and one from Lowes. They are all slightly different but most parts will interchange.

You will not find guys in the Poulan forum who know anything about Poulans refer to Craftsman saws as crapman.
The other thing you forgot about was that Poulan had a pro series of saws and a series that was not. Like for example the Poulan 295 is the pro series and it does have the metal ring for the pull cord on the starter. So how do you know that is not what craftsman used for their 46 cc saw in the example that is shown.

IMG_1552.JPG

I hope this question isn't too "noob", but why was Poulan against brakes? Or was it just that they were mandated (which opposition I could support, as I live in a state that "mandates" that I only load 7 rounds into a 10 round handgun magazine. o_O)

Maybe I need to check out a brochure thread and learn some history...

Scott in Penfield NY

This is a direct quote from a Poulan brochure from 6/87

"We do not recommend the use of chain brakes as an effective safety device to reduce or prevent the hazard and energy forces of kickback. Chain brakes are only available for certain units. Please check with your dealer for availability."

Gregg,

I suppose the only good thing about brakes is that when the chain hits you in the face it should be stopped. The injury would still be pretty severe.
There is nothing like a healthy respect for what a chain can do to you and a dose of fear to keep your head and body out of the line of fire.
Also if you're bucking a tree with a big saw, keep the jewels to the side at least.

These are supposedly 3.7 variations that are identical except for color/badgeing and one actually says 3800 on the recoil.

As far as the rear handle goes.
3400,3700,3800,375,385,395,4000 all use the same rear handle with different colors.
Then you have the craftsman versions also.

Latest posts

Back