Why do "Chinesium" chainsaws need a richer oil mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we still doing this nonsense? I thought this was an oil discussion.

You are exactly right. That's what it's supposed to be. I hate it when threads get derailed like this. I tried to get it back on track once. I have 3 chinese saws. 2 of them say 25:1, the other says 50:1 with properly rated oil. That's what the original post was about. Those of us that buy chinese saws don't care one bit about the epa or any legal issues. These threads always get derailed by people that are against chinese saws. I personally don't care what those people think. I work hard for my money and I will spend it as I wish. Like I said I run 32:1 in everything right now, I may switch back to 40:1 later, I don't know. Good oil and fuel at 40:1 is fine for any saw, no matter where it was made.

You are exactly right. That's what it's supposed to be. I hate it when threads get derailed like this. I tried to get it back on track once. I have 3 chinese saws. 2 of them say 25:1, the other says 50:1 with properly rated oil. That's what the original post was about. Those of us that buy chinese saws don't care one bit about the epa or any legal issues. These threads always get derailed by people that are against chinese saws. I personally don't care what those people think. I work hard for my money and I will spend it as I wish. Like I said I run 32:1 in everything right now, I may switch back to 40:1 later, I don't know. Good oil and fuel at 40:1 is fine for any saw, no matter where it was made.
I don't think I mentioned this but the last clone I bought, 372, came with an owners manual. It was a direct copy of the Husky. Someone got a printer out and had at it. I still think 40 to 1 is about all I care to do with it.

I don't think I mentioned this but the last clone I bought, 372, came with an owners manual. It was a direct copy of the Husky. Someone got a printer out and had at it. I still think 40 to 1 is about all I care to do with it.

My neotec 395xp clones manual is a copy of the Husqvarna manual too, although they did substitute Neotec for Husqvarna in several places and it does say 50:1 Husqvarna oil.

Your confusing criminal law and civil law with illegality. Your breaking the law either by committing a felony or a civil infraction and thus both are illegal. The only differance is the penalties.
Your right as I'm not familiar with the whole civil law part. So it sounds like they are definitely illegal.

So far, out of ( at my count of 15 plus pages, at ( at least on my computer .. 20 posts per page) is around ).. 300 posts,
Bwalker has at least 67 posts.. So-, basically, around 20% of all posts..
Can we please split this post into " Chinesium oil ratios", and " Bwalker hates Chinesium". I'm pretty sure that this will spawn other sub sectors of discussion.. Or, just please close it.

But.. Seriously.. the question has been answered .. well and truly. done.. And thanks to all who took the time and patience to answer the original question. Much appreciated input. Seriously. But this P**ssing contest about the legalities of "Chinesium" saws, basically isn't what I ( or anybody else), was specifically looking for.

You guys are, collectively, an amazing resource, and I truly appreciate all the3 input, and varying opinions.. But please.. let's put this one to rest..

Thanks guys..

So far, out of ( at my count of 15 plus pages, at ( at least on my computer .. 20 posts per page) is around ).. 300 posts,
Bwalker has at least 67 posts.. So-, basically, around 20% of all posts..
Can we please split this post into " Chinesium oil ratios", and " Bwalker hates Chinesium". I'm pretty sure that this will spawn other sub sectors of discussion.. Or, just please close it.

But.. Seriously.. the question has been answered .. well and truly. done.. And thanks to all who took the time and patience to answer the original question. Much appreciated input. Seriously. But this P**ssing contest about the legalities of "Chinesium" saws, basically isn't what I ( or anybody else), was specifically looking for.

You guys are, collectively, an amazing resource, and I truly appreciate all the3 input, and varying opinions.. But please.. let's put this one to rest..

Thanks guys..
It would help if guys wouldn't argue about things they know nothing about.

I have been pondering the actual purpose of the thread, and I don't know of a reason why one saw design would need a richer oil mixture than another. But I am pretty sure why newer saws go for a leaner ratio. I believe it is the oil available, not the saw. Most petroleum-based oils are basically a hydrocarbon with additives. Hydrocarbons are compounds of carbon and hydrogen with varying chain lengths. The simplest hydrocarbon, methane, has only 1 carbon, i.e., a chain length of 1. Ethane has 2, propane has 3, etc. As chains get longer, the oil is less volatile and more viscous. Commercial fuels and oils have mixtures of various chain lengths. Gasoline has an average chain length of 8. Kerosine averages 11. No. 2 diesel and heating oil averages 13. Engine oil can go quite a bit higher. When an oil is a mixture of varying chain lengths and exposed to heat, the more volatile, shorter fractions boil off, leaving reduced oil volume and a higher viscosity. Better oils have a more uniform chain length and do not change as rapidly in response to heat. In the case of 2-cycle oil, the lighter fractions flash off and are basically used as fuel, whereas the heavier fractions remain behind and do all of the lubrication. I would assume modern oils have been made with better control of chain length, allowing less oil to be used for the same net degree of lubrication. In the case of synthetic oils, the chain length is very close to uniform. The Chinese saw manufacturers may be using old oil ratios because of the practices that were often used years ago. If I were to buy a Chinese saw (not likely), I would not hesitate to use a 50:1 mix with a good synthetic oil regardless of what their manual says.

My neotec 395xp clones manual is a copy of the Husqvarna manual too, although they did substitute Neotec for Husqvarna in several places and it does say 50:1 Husqvarna oil.
Yup, says 50:1 but the saw says 25:1. I broke it in and am running 40:1 in everything. Seems ok

I have been pondering the actual purpose of the thread, and I don't know of a reason why one saw design would need a richer oil mixture than another. But I am pretty sure why newer saws go for a leaner ratio. I believe it is the oil available, not the saw. Most petroleum-based oils are basically a hydrocarbon with additives. Hydrocarbons are compounds of carbon and hydrogen with varying chain lengths. The simplest hydrocarbon, methane, has only 1 carbon, i.e., a chain length of 1. Ethane has 2, propane has 3, etc. As chains get longer, the oil is less volatile and more viscous. Commercial fuels and oils have mixtures of various chain lengths. Gasoline has an average chain length of 8. Kerosine averages 11. No. 2 diesel and heating oil averages 13. Engine oil can go quite a bit higher. When an oil is a mixture of varying chain lengths and exposed to heat, the more volatile, shorter fractions boil off, leaving reduced oil volume and a higher viscosity. Better oils have a more uniform chain length and do not change as rapidly in response to heat. In the case of 2-cycle oil, the lighter fractions flash off and are basically used as fuel, whereas the heavier fractions remain behind and do all of the lubrication. I would assume modern oils have been made with better control of chain length, allowing less oil to be used for the same net degree of lubrication. In the case of synthetic oils, the chain length is very close to uniform. The Chinese saw manufacturers may be using old oil ratios because of the practices that were often used years ago. If I were to buy a Chinese saw (not likely), I would not hesitate to use a 50:1 mix with a good synthetic oil regardless of what their manual says.
There is alot you don't have a clue on.

Back