Better Saw to Replace Echo CS590?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've had it with my Echo CS590 Timberwolf. This thing has been down most of the time I've had it, and you have to be a wizard to start it. I thought I was the problem, but then I saw posts all over the web complaining about it. I started it yesterday and then put it down for a minute, and I haven't been able to do anything with it since. I watch Youtube videos and read stuff on the web, and it doesn't seem to help. It floods if you breathe on it.

Is there a good 60cc saw out there that a) actually starts when cold and hot, and b) is not a miserable saw to work on? I have a Jonsered CS2240, and it actually runs, but working on it is a horror. Makes me wonder if a Jonsered/Husky 60cc is a bad idea.

I would prefer not to spend a grand on a Stihl, but I live on a farm, so it's not out of the question.

These days I do most of my work with a Makita cordless chainsaw and a $99 cordless Kobalt pole saw! Unbelievable, when I own an Echo, a Jonsered, and an Echo gas pole saw.

I'm surprised you're not happy with the Echo. They aren't the fastest, or the lightest, but they are usually very reliable. I don't think you'll find any modern saw that is easier to work on. The next step up in that cc range would be a Stihl MS 362, or a Husky 365/565. Either of those is going to be double the price of the Echo.

I'm surprised you're not happy with the Echo. They aren't the fastest, or the lightest, but they are usually very reliable. I don't think you'll find any modern saw that is easier to work on. The next step up in that cc range would be a Stihl MS 362, or a Husky 365/565. Either of those is going to be double the price of the Echo.
This pretty much says it all. I have both the Husky 365 and 565 and they are fantastic, I know a few people with 590's though and they are a typically a reliable saw.

I've had it with my Echo CS590 Timberwolf. This thing has been down most of the time I've had it, and you have to be a wizard to start it. I thought I was the problem, but then I saw posts all over the web complaining about it. I started it yesterday and then put it down for a minute, and I haven't been able to do anything with it since. I watch Youtube videos and read stuff on the web, and it doesn't seem to help. It floods if you breathe on it.

Is there a good 60cc saw out there that a) actually starts when cold and hot, and b) is not a miserable saw to work on? I have a Jonsered CS2240, and it actually runs, but working on it is a horror. Makes me wonder if a Jonsered/Husky 60cc is a bad idea.

I would prefer not to spend a grand on a Stihl, but I live on a farm, so it's not out of the question.

These days I do most of my work with a Makita cordless chainsaw and a $99 cordless Kobalt pole saw! Unbelievable, when I own an Echo, a Jonsered, and an Echo gas pole saw.
They make full sized battery powered saws now for people who dont like or cant start gas saws.
In some scenario's electric saws are better than gas saws too.
I see some guys using saws for yard work who start a saw to make 2-3 cuts then shut it off. When you do this restarts are tricky as the saw isnt hot enough for the hot start procedure but using the choke will flood it. What I do in that scenario is try to start the saw on fast idle first, if it doesnt start after 3-4 pulls then I use the choke.

You're spoilt for choice really! For a grand you'll get a "pro" saw such as Husky 562xp or a Stihl 362/400, and for around 600 you're looking at a husqvarna rancher or Stihl 291 maybe. They're both just under 60 cc though and are "farmer" grade saws so will be a bit heavier and less powerful than the pro saws of similar size. I've only ever got the pro models as personally I think over the lifetime of the saw the few hundred extra to buy is worth the reduced weight and extra power! My personal choice would be the ms400, I have one though so am obviously biased, however I can confirm it is an excellent saw!

If anyone asked me what 60cc saw to get, it would be a 590… i haven’t had any issues with mine and love it.
my father in law bought a farm boss and paid much more then i did for the 590 and his farm boss dosent hold a torch to the 590.
Same here. 590 might not be a hot rod, but it’s not a hard saw to live with.

Echo 590s are great saws, very reliable. If you are having problems with yours there is probably a simple fix. If I had to guess it would be the carb is tuned wrong. Echo 590s are known for running too rich. Find a good small engine mechanic and let him look at it. Spending money on a new saw could turn out to be a waste of time because you might just get the same problem unless you spend the bucks for a Husky Autotune saw or Stihl Mtronic.

You're spoilt for choice really! For a grand you'll get a "pro" saw such as Husky 562xp or a Stihl 362/400, and for around 600 you're looking at a husqvarna rancher or Stihl 291 maybe. They're both just under 60 cc though and are "farmer" grade saws so will be a bit heavier and less powerful than the pro saws of similar size. I've only ever got the pro models as personally I think over the lifetime of the saw the few hundred extra to buy is worth the reduced weight and extra power! My personal choice would be the ms400, I have one though so am obviously biased, however I can confirm it is an excellent saw!
I think people who are having growing pains with chainsawing should start small.

Take it to an authorized Echo dealer that has a service department (not a box store) and have them look at it. They are guaranteed for 5 years (consumer warranty). You are doing something wrong when starting it I suspect. They do not like to be hot started with ANY choke applied and cold start entails using the comp release and pulling the starter rope until it burbs, then unchoking and starting on fast idle. I have one and following their starting procedure listed on the owners manual (and online, the manual is available online on their website) is imperative. I did the muff mod on mine (removed the top baffle but left the screen and deflector in place, removed the stock air filter and replaced it with a Red beard oiled foam air filter / velocity stack and mine starts and runs just fine but you must follow their starting procedure or it will flood. Mine always starts second pull, hot or cold and I only use canned Red Armor 50-1 fuel as well. I do because all my saws are infrequent use and corn gas sucks for the most part.

I've got some friends that use the 565 husky and they love it but it is about 1k so maybe buy another echo? Maybe you just got a lemon or depending on how much work you do with it you could check out the 460 rancher it aint no stihl or husky 372 but for what it is its a maybe or would a hand saw do better??? Lol

It's funny, my Stihl stuff is really picky about fuel, but all my Echos don't seem to mind 40 or 50 to 1 or even a bit more oil.
My 620p starts easy.
My CS490 starts easy.
but both have very different starting procedures. choke the 620 for more than 3 pulls and it floods.
but choke two pulls, off choke and starts.
the 490 need to pull on choke until tries to start (2 pulls max cold) and then take off choke and starts

You’d prefer not to spend a grand but it’s not out of the question? We need a hardline budget to really help. I loved my 590 but sold it after buying my 462 because the 462 is lighter, way more powerful and yes A lot more expensive.

I don't 'LOVE' any saw or tractor or tillage implement for that matter. They are all incapable of returning affection. In my view, they are just tools for me and I maintain all of them and if they break, they get repaired accordingly.. I love my wife and my dog and that is it....lol That word, love and the word hate are the most ill used words on the net today....lol

You’d prefer not to spend a grand but it’s not out of the question? We need a hardline budget to really help. I loved my 590 but sold it after buying my 462 because the 462 is lighter, way more powerful and yes A lot more expensive.
When I worked for a local tree service we had ms440s 660s 661s 462s and 500i.s and I absolutely loved them but the price I don't love they were good demanding saws that are reliable

It's funny, my Stihl stuff is really picky about fuel, but all my Echos don't seem to mind 40 or 50 to 1 or even a bit more oil.
My 620p starts easy.
My CS490 starts easy.
but both have very different starting procedures. choke the 620 for more than 3 pulls and it floods.
but choke two pulls, off choke and starts.
the 490 need to pull on choke until tries to start (2 pulls max cold) and then take off choke and starts
My little CS top handle has to be the easiest starting saw I've ever owned. 2 pushes on the primer bulb, choke and pop and then fast idle on the 3rd pull and it's running. Hot starts, no choke no bulb, just a pull and it's purring along. Of course I did the cat muffler delete and removed the plastic baffle over the carb throat. Echo likes to install the brazed in Cat in the muff but you can buy at reasonable cost, a non cat muff from Echo or Forrester, your choice. My Timber Bear has no cat in the muff at all but I did remove the top baffle and left the spark screen intact. as well as the deflector and I replace the flocked air filter that is prone to allowing fine swarf into the carb with the Red Beard oiled foam velocity stack air cleaner that comes with sealing 'O' rings. I consider it a very worthwhile modification. Not only does the Timber Bear run better, it 'sounds' better as well.

Back