Dead Stihl ms180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Rowley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This saw is a year or so old. Saw was running and cutting great and just quit, like I had switched it off. Wouldn't restart. After appropriate verbal abuse I let it sit overnight. The next day it started up and again ran and cut great for about an hour until it died again. This time it won't restart after several days rest. It does have spark. Air filter is clean. Newly mixed gas with 93 octane non ethanol. I'm not even sure where to start looking to diagnose this problem. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Ok, Mr. Trapper, I can take a muffler off 🤨, but it'll be tomorrow. I've already had my shower and don't want to get greasy again. And come to think about it, I've had the saw a year last christmas. Or was it 2 years? Anyway the saw doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Maybe an amazon carb is in my future....

Ok, Mr. Trapper, I can take a muffler off 🤨, but it'll be tomorrow. I've already had my shower and don't want to get greasy again. And come to think about it, I've had the saw a year last christmas. Or was it 2 years? Anyway the saw doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Maybe an amazon carb is in my future....
Do not buy a Amazon carb get OEM.

Bob W.-when you say piston face do you mean the top of the piston or side? I don't see how I can get a shot of the top of the piston..? The top of the exhaust port is in the way.

Bob W.-when you say piston face do you mean the top of the piston or side? I don't see how I can get a shot of the top of the piston..? The top of the exhaust port is in the way.

If you think of the piston in relationship to the human head- face is the front side, not the top.
Your photograph shows plenty of carbon build up- which is not ideal, but not hugely bad either- means it has not been fed regular diet of lean fuel mix! :laugh:
More concerning perhaps is the oily gunge around the cylinder flange bottom of fins. That could mean a loose engine pan and air leakage problems- or it could just mean someone has bad aim with bar oil topping off the tank.
Either way, front face photo of the piston would be nice still.

I guess it could be this. Or it could be that.
Time for real diagnosis. Does the saw stay up when held by the starter handle? If it does, compression MAY be OK.
A good pic of the face of the piston (or side if that makes more sense} will help, especially now that the muffler is off.
Pour gas into a clear jar to check for water. Yeah, I know, everybody has good fuel. That is why I find it in 3/4 0f the saws that come in the shop.
How does the screen look in the muffler? Real common issue on these saws.
If you grab the cylinder by the top, can you move it in the motor housing? Another thing I see.
More to come. Let us know.

Back