Factory 562XP Exhaust Good Enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🙄 the diapers suck to deal with, but are from customers wanting a quiet ride. The shudders won't make your car run hotter then it should either, given they are working properly. At worst you will get less efficiency from the engine from being over cooled. Engines run the most efficient when they are maintained at a desired temp. Cold weather shudders are generally just in use to help get the engine up to temp faster. Yes there are some emissions gain from this, but also effect efficiency. It's not there to kill your pocket book nor directly because of the government. Years ago shudders were std equipment. Not the best design or idea, but functioned well enough.
In the case of the saws there has been a balance of epa stupidity with keeping cost reasonable and increasing performance while having some sort of longevity. It all come into play. Non of it is specifically done to screw the customer over.
The shutters are mainly there to improve aerodynamics a tiny bit in order to give Ford a miniscule increase in average mileage. This information is available on the web from solid sources. If they make the engine heat faster, it's not by much. My car reaches its top temperature within two miles of the house with the shutters jammed open and the rubber blanket on the garage floor. I checked.

If they don't open when they should, they are a real problem. If they never close, they are no problem at all.

The engine heat concentrator doesn't make a perceptible difference in the noise level inside the car. It was removed from later models. In Europe, they are forced to use them--get this--to make hood collisions with pedestrians' heads less dangerous. It sounds insane, but you can check it out yourself. The idea is that your head hits the hood, the hood hits the rubber, and somehow this is safer than having the hood hit the manifold.

This car has a lot of wind and road noise. The engine isn't a factor. I've been listening to it since removing the blanket, and I can't tell the difference.

If you root around Internet forums, you will see people claiming all kinds of explanations for the rubber blanket, but most of them are wild guesses. That's why they're different.

It doesn't protect the paint, either. The sun is what kills two-layer paint. The layers expand and contract at different rates in the sun, and that makes them separate. Waxing and washing don't help, in spite of what people who make money from these things say. I miss the old days when car paint lasted as long as cars and the isocyanate fumes didn't give painters crippling permanent asthma.

I hate greenie products that cause problems and don't really solve any, but the thing that really makes me mad is the way manufacturers keep quiet about them and pass the problems on to us without warning us.

My father in law has had quite a few 562xp saws and he really likes them. One gets used for dropping trees (Maple) and one gets used for bucking wood all day that can't go to the mill. He logs on St Joseph island near Sault Ste Marie. The 562xp always start and run in any temperature and they pull a 20 inch bar with authority. He uses them hard for 2 years and then trades in on a new pair of saws. None of them gave him any trouble. They do run hotter and I prefer the older saws but he seems to think they are the best thing since sliced bread and he keeps buying them and running them.

My father in law has had quite a few 562xp saws and he really likes them. One gets used for dropping trees (Maple) and one gets used for bucking wood all day that can't go to the mill. He logs on St Joseph island near Sault Ste Marie. The 562xp always start and run in any temperature and they pull a 20 inch bar with authority. He uses them hard for 2 years and then trades in on a new pair of saws. None of them gave him any trouble. They do run hotter and I prefer the older saws but he seems to think they are the best thing since sliced bread and he keeps buying them and running them.
That's a cool area.
I never had problems with my early 562xp when ai lived in Upper Michigan. I think most of the guys having issues with them are in areas that get warmer climates.

That makes sense, we have run them in 89f weather, I don't have experience cutting in weather hotter than that. I see guys in some Countries cutting in the jungles and I can only imagine how hot that must be. I know near Arizona they get fine dust particles in the air that clogs a lot of things up.

That makes sense, we have run them in 89f weather, I don't have experience cutting in weather hotter than that. I see guys in some Countries cutting in the jungles and I can only imagine how hot that must be. I know near Arizona they get fine dust particles in the air that clogs a lot of things up.
In Upper MIchigan I tried to avoid picking up a chainsaw in July and August.
I preferred running them below zero. Most of the logging I did was in the fall and winter.

A modded muffler will help. but it will also be twice as loud, especially on the 562 and 550. If you don't like wearing muffs don't open the muffler...

Twice as loud is a bit of an exaggeration, it's not even close to bark box on a ms400 loud. Only saw I've ever regretted doing a muffler mod to and went back to stock. The 562xp on the other hand wasn't a huge jump in noise.

Twice as loud is a bit of an exaggeration, it's not even close to bark box on a ms400 loud. Only saw I've ever regretted doing a muffler mod to and went back to stock. The 562xp on the other hand wasn't a huge jump in noise.
Yes, the 400C is brutal with a bark box.
Opened my stock outlet a bit and put the stock front cover back on.

Yep but most people do not wear them.
This makes me want to face palm every time I encounter it. I cut up a big stump for a neighbor a week ago, me and four or five other guys doing the cutting. I was the only one wearing PPE of any type. Cut a piece of steel for a neighbor yesterday on the chop saw. He declined when I offered hearing protection.

Your hearing now is as good as it will ever be, even if it's degraded already. The more it's degraded, the more important it is to protect what you still have.

Not my circus, not my monkeys, not my place to dictate how other men do or don't take care of themselves, but I sure can think these people are stupid.

Even with ear muffs I would bet money a bark box will damage your hearing when ran on a 400C.
I’ve not ran a 400c. I learned the importance of ear protection with the Mac 1010 and homelite c52. They need ear plugs and muffs!!!

This makes me want to face palm every time I encounter it. I cut up a big stump for a neighbor a week ago, me and four or five other guys doing the cutting. I was the only one wearing PPE of any type. Cut a piece of steel for a neighbor yesterday on the chop saw. He declined when I offered hearing protection.

Your hearing now is as good as it will ever be, even if it's degraded already. The more it's degraded, the more important it is to protect what you still have.

Not my circus, not my monkeys, not my place to dictate how other men do or don't take care of themselves, but I sure can think these people are stupid.
When I was younger I wasn't to careful in regards to hearing protection. As a result of a lifetime of shooting, running equipment and working in heavy industry the hearing in my left ear is 90% gone in most frequencies and my right is only a bit better. As a result I am very careful now with wearing both plugs and muffler. I will also preach protecting ones hearing to anyone willing to listen.
The worse things on my hearing were running a skidder with a Detroit Diesel, being around air arcing and duck hunting.

When I was younger I wasn't to careful in regards to hearing protection. As a result of a lifetime of shooting, running equipment and working in heavy industry the hearing in my left ear is 90% gone in most frequencies and my right is only a bit better. As a result I am very careful now with wearing both plugs and muffler. I will also preach protecting ones hearing to anyone willing to listen.
The worse things on my hearing were running a skidder with a Detroit Diesel, being around air arcing and duck hunting.

I'm about to turn 40 and have the hearing of a 55 year old man. Nothing like what you're dealing with, but doing my best to keep what I have.

It's also just plain more comfortable. Noise is fatiguing. Have to pay less attention to where sparks or sawdust is going if you're wearing safety glasses.

A modded muffler will help. but it will also be twice as loud, especially on the 562 and 550. If you don't like wearing muffs don't open the muffler...
Always wear ear protection and the best you can get. You dont notice it creeps on slowly until you cant hear the birds..... but of course you dont know your going deaf because you still hear things, then one day .................
You get one chance with hearing, it dont repair itself.

If the saw is new & under warranty I don't think the benefits a muffler mod gives are enough to consider doing it before the warranty runs out

I am on my second one and would buy a third in a heartbeat. Its a great saw bone stock, leave it alone and enjoy it. It is probably my absolute favorite saw to grab.

Latest posts

Back