Stihl circlips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did Stihl ever make circlips (ca. last 30 years) with the "ears" so you can grab them with needle nose pliers? I've only seen the "C" type clips that hold great but are a PITA to remove.

Reason I'm asking several OEM P/C kits, on ebay, claim to have these type clips

Bought some new ones at a stihl dealer for an 026 pro and they had ears, guess they could have been aftermarket, but seems unlikely. The originals in the saw didn't have ears though.

I use Husky circlips instead of the Stihl. They have ears. Put ears @ 12:00 no problems work great. Also use em on Dolmar.
Shep

Did Stihl ever make circlips (ca. last 30 years) with the "ears" so you can grab them with needle nose pliers? I've only seen the "C" type clips that hold great but are a PITA to remove.

Reason I'm asking several OEM P/C kits, on ebay, claim to have these type clips
They are easy to remove. 1. Grind an old wrist-pin down leaving a tab sticking out that fits between the end gap of the circlip, braze or weld this to the shank of an old screwdriver with an 8mm shank. (you now have a tool that can turn the clip to orient it with the end just over the access point in the wrist-pin bore. 2. Take some small good-quality needle nose pliers and hacksaw a tiny groove across one of the tips about 1/16" from the tip. This can grab the end of the clip effectively. It is worth spending an hour to make tools to do an otherwise very irritating job.

This subject has come up a number of times. One guy called the Stihl cir clip "Jesus clips" because when they launch with the cylinder off (during installation) only Jesus knows where they will land.

I've read quite a few suggestions. The circlip insertion dilemma is about the only that makes saw assembly a pain to me.

They are easy to remove. 1. Grind an old wrist-pin down leaving a tab sticking out that fits between the end gap of the circlip, braze or weld this to the shank of an old screwdriver with an 8mm shank. (you now have a tool that can turn the clip to orient it with the end just over the access point in the wrist-pin bore. 2. Take some small good-quality needle nose pliers and hacksaw a tiny groove across one of the tips about 1/16" from the tip. This can grab the end of the clip effectively. It is worth spending an hour to make tools to do an otherwise very irritating job.

Care to share the tool visually?

Latest posts

Back