Tuning Specs For Stihl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch95100

Saw Nut
Reaction score
Does anyone know What are the general tuning specs for the Stihl Ms 660? Looking for the RPM specs for full and idle
Thanks

Idle is around 2,500, give or take.

On the high end, 13,500, again, give or take.

Always tune in the cut.

Do you have a service manual? PM me if not.

660 specs

I have my idle set @2870 and high rpm @14200.This works for my conditions fine.

Maybe a Little Lower?

I have my idle set @2870 and high rpm @14200.This works for my conditions fine.
Some loggers don't like to run 14,200 RPM on their 660s. I usually set them back about 13,400 RPM for the guys running big bars. It could be that they want more life out of the engine and are afraid to run them higher for fear of premature burnout. Who knows? I do what they want. Idle at 2,500 RPM seems to keep the chain from creeping very much and the engine will hold it.

Good discussion here.

Some loggers don't like to run 14,200 RPM on their 660s. I usually set them back about 13,400 RPM for the guys running big bars. It could be that they want more life out of the engine and are afraid to run them higher for fear of premature burnout. Who knows? I do what they want. Idle at 2,500 RPM seems to keep the chain from creeping very much and the engine will hold it.

Good discussion here.

Yeah Im definatley not looking to burn my engine up!

Forget the tach. Learn to tune the H needle by ear. That way you know the saw is getting what it needs.

I think my ported 066 works best just when it's starting to 4 stroke good then cleans up nice in the cut,,, it's usually wearing a 36" bar but with that same tune and wearing a 28" bar you had better Hang on,,, as far as RPM's it was still 4 stroking @ 14K right after I ported it,,, I havent checked it in a long time couple of years,,, but I gonna,,, I let nephew borry it the other day and when I went and got it back I notced the exhaust deflector looked white instead of my usual camel/tan color,,, I gently nudged the H screw in and it was setting on 3/4,,,, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr then I got hot!!!!!!

I pulled the muffler cover, rolled it through a couple of cycles and the piston looked fine,,, put cover back on, the H back to 1+1/8 out,,,Put my saw back in the truck,,, called my nephew and gave his ear a good dose of For what,,,, and What for,,,

660 tuning

I am a firm beliver in tuning by ear.The tachometer is good for giving you a number for reference.

Wow, I sure wouldn't let my 660's be tuned to 14,000+ for cutting, that is too high and the saw will fall on its face more in the cut. Better to tune a little richer, than leaner, as those lean saws can't handle any sort of miss handling or lugging. I imagine for cookie cutting that the leaner settings seem to work/win by a few seconds, as those are the types that seem to like the leaner settings and or think that its of some mystical benefit, when in reality the saw will many times hold a lower rpm in the cut of any worth.

Sam

jets

hi guys sorry to interupt but im new on here and struggling to open a thread but i am currently running ms650 that was piston damaged wen i bout it so i rebuilt it with a ms660 pot and piston with no gasket for a pinch more compression but i just a lil conserned on wether i need to change the the jets or not ?? i know you can alter the mixture a little . any feed back would be great thanks rich

hi guys sorry to interupt but im new on here and struggling to open a thread but i am currently running ms650 that was piston damaged wen i bout it so i rebuilt it with a ms660 pot and piston with no gasket for a pinch more compression but i just a lil conserned on wether i need to change the the jets or not ?? i know you can alter the mixture a little . any feed back would be great thanks rich

Did you actually measure the squish? The later 660s have notoriously tight squish from the factory. My 660 would not even turn over with the base gasket removed.

Under no circumstance is a dead stock 660 going out of our shop above 14k. With out knowing the quality of fuel/mix and care and useage that the average joe is going to be doing it is a recipe for diasaster/toasted saw. I always use a tach for a baseline, and then clean it up by ear if needed. There are a few on here I would trust tuning without a tach but I'd say 90%+ couldn't guess within a 1000 rpms, it is an art that comes with expeirence and years of doing it, not something the occaisional user should attempt. It depends on the saw but idle is usually set somewhere around 2750-3100 and we won't send them out above 13,500. We've got one or two customers that get them set around 13k, but it is due to how they abuse the heck out of the saws and the cheap gas (test 13% ethanol) and cheap mix they use. When tuning for joe public you tend to tune on the conservative side, my saws are a whole different tuning set up, because they get 91 oct non ethanol and Ultra and air filters are cleaned after each use, sharp chains are the norm, not the exception.

Under no circumstance is a dead stock 660 going out of our shop above 14k. With out knowing the quality of fuel/mix and care and useage that the average joe is going to be doing it is a recipe for diasaster/toasted saw. I always use a tach for a baseline, and then clean it up by ear if needed. There are a few on here I would trust tuning without a tach but I'd say 90%+ couldn't guess within a 1000 rpms, it is an art that comes with expierence and years of doing it, not something the occasional user should attempt. It depends on the saw but idle is usually set somewhere around 2750-3100, and we won't send them out above 13,500.

We've got one or two customers that get them set around 13k, but it is due to how they abuse the heck out of the saws and the cheap gas (test 13% ethanol) and cheap mix they use. When tuning for Joe Public, you tend to tune on the conservative side. My saws are a whole different tuning set up because they get 91 octane non-ethanol and Ultra and air filters are cleaned after each use, sharp chains are the norm, not the exception.

Well, at least this post is consistent with what I said back in Post #5. Maybe we are getting somewhere. I've set the high-end RPM on my "new" rebuilt MS660 at 13,400. It's idling very nicely at 2500 RPM with a 32" bar and chain on board. Seems comfortable there. No significant chain creep, and that's important. I'm ready to cut a bunch of wood, and this rebuilt 660 will kick butt.

Back