Crane loading without chipping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree&Stump

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm tossing some ideas around about how to haul out some pines after a crane removal besides chipping. I'd like to do as much loading directly from tree to truck as possible. Pines leave so much bush to clean up after you've landed them on the ground and processed them. I want to get around staying longer and messing with the truck loads of that mess. Anybody have any experience with direct loading 40yd bins or 18 wheel dumpers? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Crane loading

When loading try to balance the log almost perfectly. You'll need an experienced crane operator to do this and then have a guy in the back of the truck directing the load to maximize space( make sure it's not a green horn) he'll just get hurt.

Tag line on the but helps a lot in controlling the load, I know a number of guys who process debris off-site to reduce onsite cost. Sometimes being able to promise a short turn-around gets them the job over those who process on-site. This allows them to not have to low-ball because of mechanization of the process.

I bet that is tricky in the trailer. Anyone use 18 wheel dumpers? What's that cost? I'm still searching, but roll off bins are easy to find.

I bet that is tricky in the trailer. Anyone use 18 wheel dumpers? What's that cost? I'm still searching, but roll off bins are easy to find.

Problem with 18 wheelers is you're usually paying for the driver to sit there. with a rolloff it's just dropoff and pick up. Just make sure the company won't let it sit for days.

Problem with 18 wheelers is you're usually paying for the driver to sit there. with a rolloff it's just dropoff and pick up. Just make sure the company won't let it sit for days.

No dropping off the roll offs. Drivers are on there way as soon as they are loaded, and we follow the crane to the next job for the second half of the day.

18 wheeler services charge by the hour I assume?

I talked to the truckers on a trucker forum, and it's an end dump trailer. I didn't know what they were calling it, so I couldn't find anyone for hire.

It's looking like around $100 an hour is the going rate.

one bad thing about the roll offs is, that if your are rolling them off onto the pavement, you will have to put plywood or boards down because sometimes they dig huge galuges out of the blacktop.

Some jobs with access problems, i take my 14 yd dump trailer, and it fills up pretty quick. Gotta go up in it with a saw and cut it down. Its amazing how much more room you can make by doing this, but you gotta make sure you know where your toes and legs are in the brush or you could cut them off.

one bad thing about the roll offs is, that if your are rolling them off onto the pavement, you will have to put plywood or boards down because sometimes they dig huge galuges out of the blacktop.

Some jobs with access problems, i take my 14 yd dump trailer, and it fills up pretty quick. Gotta go up in it with a saw and cut it down. Its amazing how much more room you can make by doing this, but you gotta make sure you know where your toes and legs are in the brush or you could cut them off.

Agrees. You can mulch down a trailer amazingly well, but have a good sawhand in there. Lot's of reaction wood, tight quartes, and surrounded by steel. That being said, a good guy in there can pack it in there almost like it was chipped. But have him keep a scrench in his pocket cause he will spit a chain froom time to time...

Back